Mickey's Backyard BBQ - A reality check from a cynical New Yorker

mom2aredhead

DIS Veteran
Based on reviews here, we almost stayed away, but I'm glad we didn't. It's definitely not going to be for everyone. Food was ample, replenished often, and frankly pretty good. Menu was burgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese, cornbread, bbq chicken, bbq ribs, a few salads, watermelon, and Mickey ice cream bars/ice pops for dessert, all served buffet style. Drinks were lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, water, beer and wine. The country western band was good, and the characters came out often to dance, and wandered through the tables for pictures and autographs. If you go, get there early for a good seat near the dance floor. We danced a lot with Minnie and Goofy, ate well, drank lots, and had a GREAT time. I would recommend this for anyone with young kids as long as you don't mind an outdoor event.

And to all of the people that gave it bad reviews - here's my response. It's not fine cuisine people, it's an outdoor BBQ with Mickey and friends. You are paying to have a BBQ with entertainment and characters, not for fine cuisine. You should not book an outdoor event in Florida, then complain about the weather. You should not book an event that serves hotdogs and offers dancing with Mickey Mouse and then complain that there are too many kids there. You should not book something called a BBQ, then complain that the menu is burgers and dogs. If you want "cuisine", go to Le Cellier. If you want to dance, be entertained, and have a burger and a beer with Mickey, then go to the BBQ. We did, and really enjoyed it!

mom2aredhead said:
And to all of the people that gave it bad reviews - here's my response. It's not fine cuisine people, it's an outdoor BBQ with Mickey and friends. You are paying to have a BBQ with entertainment and characters, not for fine cuisine. You should not book an outdoor event in Florida, then complain about the weather. You should not book an event that serves hotdogs and offers dancing with Mickey Mouse and then complain that there are too many kids there.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Amen to that!

Hi
Thanks for sharing your review. I was thinking about going to the BBQ for the first time and was wondering how it was. It sounds like it would be fun and something my DGD (4) would love to do. Sounds like you had a great time!!

I have 2 boys and they are 9 and 11 years old...would you think they would be one of the few older kids there? My boys love Mickey and friends and they love to dance so I think they would have fun. How much is this? Is it part of the DDP and if so how many credits? What time do they usually have the BBQ?

TIA,

Loralie

mom2aredhead said:
You should not book an outdoor event in Florida, then complain about the weather. You should not book an event that serves hotdogs and offers dancing with Mickey Mouse and then complain that there are too many kids there. You should not book something called a BBQ, then complain that the menu is burgers and dogs. If you want "cuisine", go to Le Cellier. If you want to dance, be entertained, and have a burger and a beer with Mickey, then go to the BBQ. We did, and really enjoyed it!

Great, down-to-earth honest review!

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

loralie said:
I have 2 boys and they are 9 and 11 years old...would you think they would be one of the few older kids there? My boys love Mickey and friends and they love to dance so I think they would have fun. How much is this? Is it part of the DDP and if so how many credits? What time do they usually have the BBQ?

TIA,

Loralie

Price was about $40 for adults and $25 for kids 3-9. (Adult prices included beer and wine) I was not on DDP so I'm sorry but I don't know how the credits work...I know that if you pay oop, they require full pmt upfront, and you can cancel up to 48 hours before to get a refund.
In addition to dancing with the characters, there was a country western band that taught line dances and kept everyone going when the characters were on a break. There was also a "cowboy" doing rope tricks that was fun to watch. It's only 2 nights/week (Thurs/Sat), and if you go, GET THERE EARLY if you want a seat near the dance floor. It starts at 6:30 - we got there at 6:00 and there were already lots of people there sitting and eating. I think they'd have a good time.

Awesome! I'm LOL that was a great review and I agree don't ask Trail's End to be V & A people. :p Thanks, I've always wanted to try this place.

Thanks for the review. We'll be doing the Thanksgiving version of the BBQ in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it!

Finally! A great review of Backyard BBQ!

We were fortunate that the first year they did this (1993?) we tried for Hoop De Doo and it was booked . The CM recommended this new event (BBQ).
We had the best time. There were not many people there, the characters were bored and hung around everyone, young and old! The band was great, as was the food. We did it again about 6 years ago and still enjoyed it. :thumbsup2 They have the BEST hot dogs! :love:

We went last week and completely agree with your review. We all had such a fun time, although I thought you were a little kind on your food review. But it was edible. But the entertainment is the main focus. It was such fun for all.

To loralie who asked about the 9 and 10 year old boys, they will love it! I had 8 and 9 year old girls and they were enthralled the whole time! And I was thinking that this event is probably geared more towards boys than so many others. With the cowboys doing all their rope tricks. Your kids are definitely not too old.

Just a hint, it was an extremely hot day when we went - 95 degrees or so 9 (yes, in October, they were having record highs). Everyone in line was sweating. But a few positives about that: Do be there early. They'll tell you be there at 6:00 for the 6:30 start. We were in line at 5:45 (and so was everyone else). But the good news about arriving early was that they did let you in quickly at 6:00. And there were CM's standing in front with trays of lemondade, fruit punch and cold beers. We grabbed a drink and got a good seat. Then, they actually opened the buffet at 6:20.

They also had large ceiling fans going the whole time and we cooled off very quickly. It was completely pleasant even though it had been so hot and humid outside.

I think that anyone who goes to this will have a wonderful time!

Does anyone know what brand of beer and wine they have? I asked this on the restaurant board, but no answers yet.

Love the review!

We too loved the BBQ! We went in late Nov 2005 and can't wait to do it again but will wait until arrival before booking because of weather. But never something I would complain about. I knew we risked it being chilly out but we still had a great time.

I also say that you need to be able to enjoy country music or you will be miserable.

As for the beer and wine choices:
Beer was Bud Light
Wine :confused3 Does wine even go with BBQ?

Your original post illustrates the best advice ever: Try everything once regardless of the posted reviews :thumbsup2 Each family will have their own unique standards and no one can judge for another :cool1: Thanks for the perspective. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter