Member Services Exception

NickBCV

Mouseketeer
I know this is a long shot but figured I would pose the question. I'm purchasing a contract as a resale and it has 100 2016 points available that will expire on March 31, 2018. I expect to have the points in my account in late January 2018 giving me two months to book or rent them out.

Here is the crazy exception question......I am booked for a Disney vacation in April 2018. How likely is it that Member Services will allow the points to be extended two weeks so I can use these points as part of my April trip. I have been told it is worth a shot to ask the question of Member Services but my best bet is to rent the points out at a cheap rate $8-$10 per point.

I figure Member Services will not be too keen to grant an exception for points bought in the secondary market but I suppose it's worth asking.

No chance. Those are already banked points from 2016 into the 2017 use year, which cannot be banked again. The only time that MS possibly might allow points to be extended like you suggest is when a disaster strikes like a hurricane which kills already made reservations.

No chance. Those are already banked points from 2016 into the 2017 use year, which cannot be banked again. The only time that MS possibly might allow points to be extended like you suggest is when a disaster strikes like a hurricane which kills already made reservations.
I figured as much.....probably a rental option only. One of the brokers that rents out points mentioned calling Member Services and asking for an exception so I thought I'd ask what people thought. As she said....the worst they can say is No.

If they say yes, please come on here and let us know, because many of us, myself included, would find this very surprising.

Keep in mind that we all have the authority to say no, but only Member Services can say yes. Having said that, your odds are very small that they would do this for a resale. For a direct purchase, they would likely do it if you had just closed, but a guide would rarely sell a direct contract with such a short window. But it can't hurt to ask.

Keep hope alive folks! Maybe I will get a member services rep that is feeling generous!

I would agree that it is 99.9% no chance, but you are not risking much of anything to call and ask. If they so no, which is almost certain to happen, all you did was waste a half an hour on the phone. If that miniscule chance that something does happen for you comes through, it will have been well worth your time and effort.

Keep in mind that we all have the authority to say no, but only Member Services can say yes. Having said that, your odds are very small that they would do this for a resale. For a direct purchase, they would likely do it if you had just closed, but a guide would rarely sell a direct contract with such a short window. But it can't hurt to ask.
Totally agree...I would be shocked if they granted an exception. I just hope that with two months before expiration I am able to rent the points out rather than lose them.

I would agree that it is 99.9% no chance, but you are not risking much of anything to call and ask. If they so no, which is almost certain to happen, all you did was waste a half an hour on the phone. If that miniscule chance that something does happen for you comes through, it will have been well worth your time and effort.
Plus I get to hear the wonderful HIIII HOOOO music in the background while I wait! Hahahaha

Keep hope alive folks! Maybe I will get a member services rep that is feeling generous!

The member services rep has to take the request to a manager for approval. So, you need two very generous people to make this magic work...

The member services rep has to take the request to a manager for approval. So, you need two very generous people to make this magic work...
It is the happiest place on Earth after all......maybe they will be extra motivated to make my wish come true!

He's asking to bank the same points more than once, not to bank current use year points after the banking deadline had passed.

AFAIK, banking the same points twice has not ever happened. Direct purchases do not come with banked points, only current use year points.

OP can certainly ask, but should be prepared to be told sorry, no.

If you can't get them rented, don't forget about RCI. Can deposit there and will extend life of points... I'm not sure for how long (want to say an extra year?). I'm assuming this can be done with banked points...

This past fall when the hurricane impacted travel and stays there were reports from some people who had banked points used on their reservations that they were cancelling and had those points returned as current points.

That's a hurricane though. Buying a resale contract - well, it's very unlikely. No harm in asking a question but I'd plan on trying to rent them.

He's asking to bank the same points more than once, not to bank current use year points after the banking deadline had passed.
I can’t tell from the OP if that’s actually the case. If he’s asking to bank the points past the banking deadline, that has some chance of getting an exception. If you’re correct and these points have already been banked, then I agree there is zero chance.

I can’t tell from the OP if that’s actually the case. If he’s asking to bank the points past the banking deadline, that has some chance of getting an exception. If you’re correct and these points have already been banked, then I agree there is zero chance.

If the points expire March 31 of 2018 then it's an April UY. Since April is in it's 2017 UY and these are 2016 points then they have been banked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter