Meat going bad before date

I always get my meat from the counter at Whole Foods so it’s wrapped in paper (no styrofoam or those weird pads to soak up juice) When I get home I’ll freeze it if not cooking within 3 days. If I’m keeping it in the fridge I store it on the bottom shelf all the way at the back. (I also put it in a bowl or dish should the paper wrapping spring a leak!)

If it is poultry, technically you are supposed to freeze within 48 hours of bringing home even if the sell by date is later. Grocery stores supposedly keep meats at a colder temp than home fridges.

I cringe when’s I spot a package of meat that someone has ditched on a shelf when they change their mind. I wonder how many are returned to the meat case after “aging” in the cereal aisle...:crazy2:
I have that same thought. I would hope if an employee sees it, that it gets disposed of.

I would suggest you start by measuring the actual temperature of your fridge. You said "It seems cold enough," but have you done that? Could be your thermostat is incorrect.

I would suggest you start by measuring the actual temperature of your fridge. You said "It seems cold enough," but have you done that? Could be your thermostat is incorrect.

I mentioned above that I tried to do just that before I posted, but realized I had a "check your oven" thermometer, not a "check your fridge" one. fridge therm.jpg (Like this, but wrong scale.)

A new one is on my grocery list. I was just curious what else might be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter