MAY WISH Goals - Monthly Thread

There is an article by a Canadian weight loss doctor who says that weight loss (and then maintaining) should be about trying to lead the healthiest lifestyle that you can maintain for ever. Fast success sounds like a great prize, but look at what cost it comes with if it meant that you lose all your friends and anger your spouse in the meantime!

Is that the doctor I keep quoting - Yoni Freedhoff?

Topic Thursday! What (aside from eating!) do you to do deal with stress and/or over-scheduling?

I am a list-writer. If I feel I don't know what to do first of all the stuff that needs to be done, I write lists. With that I find it much easier to prioritize the really important stuff and crossing things off the list gives me a positive boost.

What (aside from eating!) do you to do deal with stress and/or over-scheduling?

Oddly enough, I sleep. I'll crawl in to bed and pull the covers up, even mid-day. I think it's a form of escapism, where I can shut out whatever is going on... kind of. Since stopping the herbal sleeping aid I've started to have more vivid dreams and remembering bits and pieces of them, so I know I'm processing while I'm sleeping.

Speaking of sleep, I so wanted to stay in bed this morning. I've been fighting allergies all week: with the recent warm weather things are blooming here and although its lovely to look at it does result in a thick head. I woke up around 3am with a raging headache but couldn't even drag myself out of bed to take something until 4am-ish. I have back-to-back meetings today, else I think I would have stayed home. Hopefully the day will go quickly. And smoothly, with limited amounts of crankiness.

Edited to add... just remembered I'm getting a new laptop today... it is not going to be a smooth/easy day as I'll have to reload a bunch of stuff. Dang. But it is pretty and shiny.

Last edited:
I didn't have much to woohoo about yesterday. Work was crazy, life was crazy, and everything seemed over-whelming for 24 hours. However, that in and of itself can be a woohoo. I have a job, a beautiful, wonderful wife, and I'm alive for another day.

I think my biggest stress relief in life is playing video games and working out. Lately though I tend to do the former much more than the latter when I'm stressed. I find it easier to play video games, since I'm already at home.

Topic Thursday! What (aside from eating!) do you to do deal with stress and/or over-scheduling?

At work I also sometimes make a "to do" list when things get away from me and I agree @Flossbolna - being able to tick or cross it off is such a good feeling.

It really depends on what the stressor is - my go to is also escape by watching tv or sleeping.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yesterday lunch and afternoon snack was not a good choice - it started well with breakfast and I got back on track for dinner.

I am not sure what I will end up with for dinner tonight as I am taking 2 of mine and one of their friends to the 'Imagine Dragons' concert - we are all really looking forward to it - when I can afford it going to a concert is also another great stress buster.

Sorry I have been MIA for awhile. Work and home have been so crazy. After this week work should semi slow down. We are in our busy time until about September but at least I won't be going from meeting to meeting. And well for home well the kids only have about a week and a half left and both will be done with soccer soon. That will leave just riding one day a week and baseball.

I have been doing good with my eating and staying below or at 1200 calories. I am down almost 2 pounds as of this morning.

Flossbolna, I am trying no food before 11 am and I am shocked how easy I am finding it. What is the intermittent fasting you are trying, can you please share the basics?

Flossbolna, I am trying no food before 11 am and I am shocked how easy I am finding it. What is the intermittent fasting you are trying, can you please share the basics?

It was a “course” on my news website. They sent an email every week with a challenge. The original rule is 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours in which you can eat. They said already going to a 12/12 schedule would have benefits. And that it does not matter when the eating hours are. They said make sure that it fits your schedule so that you can keep it up. Also, while they suggested to keep it up for two weeks to start with, they said one or two days per week eating for more hours will not destroy the effects.

The idea behind it is that during the fasting hours the body can not rely on the glucose from the food to keep it running, so it will access the stored reserves. Of course, depending on how much you eat during the eating hours, those reserves could be easily filled up again every day. But just the fact that the body has to work on getting access to the reserves supposedly has some good effects.

For me it is easier to not eat between 8pm and 12 noon than to spread my calories over more meals. That’s why it works for me.

I will give it a go for awhile. I guess I am kind of doing it 11 to 7. Thanks for the info

Let us know how it goes! I need to restart it myself. With the surgery and being sick afterwards (today is the first day back at work and I am feeling great so far!) I did not feel like skipping breakfast. I also had medication to take in the morning with breakfast. Now we have a long weekend and weekends are always harder than weekdays. But Tuesday MUST be back to fasting!

So, it's Friday.
I met my step goals on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I wasn't feeling well but still got in 5k steps. Thursday I was off for a doctor's appointment and got in around 5k again using my treadmill. I've gotten at least 30minutes of exercise every day but Wednesday. So I feel like I've been doing really good this week.

The thing that's really feeling like a roadblock to me right now is the results from the doctor's visit. The ENT found a narrowing of my airway that seemed inflamed beneath my vocal cords. He didn't seem alarmed, but he's sending me for a series of tests including CT and bloodwork next week to try to figure out what the source of the problem is. To be honest, I'm scared. I'm trying not to dwell on it too much, but between that and my blood-pressure still being high (which I personally believe may be related), I'm just feeling anxious and worried.

I'm trying to keep going with my diet and exercise plans, but every now and again that negative part of my brain goes: Why are you bothering doing this when your body seems to be trying to kill you anyways? I've always struggled with that sort of negative thing, but so far I've managed to push past it and keep going. One step at a time.

Happy Friday, one and all! Sorry to have been a bit MIA this week and non-participative -- my conference ends today (after my presentation this morning to 250 people, i'll be fine!!). For me, it's an old Disney jean shirt with the Winnie the Pooh characters embroidered on the back -- I love, love the shirt, and have saved it through all of my weight gains. Now it's a bit (okay WAY) too big, and I'm actually thinking of going to eBay to see if I can find a similar one in a smaller size!

Soooo.......It's also Free-for-All Friday! What is your favorite piece of clothing? It could be anything from a prom dress to a ragged old tee shirt.

For me, it's an old Disney jean shirt with the Winnie the Pooh characters embroidered on the back -- I love, love the shirt, and have saved it through all of my weight gains. Now it's a bit (okay WAY) too big, and I'm actually thinking of going to eBay to see if I can find a similar one in a smaller size!

So, it's Friday.
I met my step goals on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I wasn't feeling well but still got in 5k steps. Thursday I was off for a doctor's appointment and got in around 5k again using my treadmill. I've gotten at least 30minutes of exercise every day but Wednesday. So I feel like I've been doing really good this week.

The thing that's really feeling like a roadblock to me right now is the results from the doctor's visit. The ENT found a narrowing of my airway that seemed inflamed beneath my vocal cords. He didn't seem alarmed, but he's sending me for a series of tests including CT and bloodwork next week to try to figure out what the source of the problem is. To be honest, I'm scared. I'm trying not to dwell on it too much, but between that and my blood-pressure still being high (which I personally believe may be related), I'm just feeling anxious and worried.

I'm trying to keep going with my diet and exercise plans, but every now and again that negative part of my brain goes: Why are you bothering doing this when your body seems to be trying to kill you anyways? I've always struggled with that sort of negative thing, but so far I've managed to push past it and keep going. One step at a time.
Not knowing is often the hardest part... hang in there!

@Arazia sending a big hug!! I am sure it will turn out to be nothing serious, but I absolutely understand how this is scary!! Btw, saw a documentary yesterday about how they are more and more realizing that exercise not only has positive effects on heart health, but actually is one of the best medicines for every ailment. So, keeping up your exercise routine is a great way of preventing your body from killing you!!

QOTD:

I have three that immediately popped up in my mind.

My wedding dress: We got married in December and I had a navy blue lace cocktail dress.

A summer dress with a white and blue pattern that looks great and is so comfortable

A suede mini skirt from my skinny days that I hope to fit in again when I reach goal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter