Mary Poppins Returns

Just saw it today. It was good, not great. I think it would be better if I'd never seen Mary Poppins. There are some good songs but I don't think any of them will be remembered in the way that the original film's songs are. I thought Emily Blunt was excellent and she has a good voice, but Julie Andrews had an exceptional voice. But I did like it overall.

Haven't seen it yet. But the overarching review from people in my circles has been, soulless. Just a soulless reboot that is note-for-note, the original film. Gonna see it soon.

One thing that I found funny. My daughter loves musical theater and is majoring in it and she called out the songwriters for cheating. They also wrote the score for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and there's a song from the show that is basically identical to Trip a Little Light Fantastic in the new Poppins. I had a few minor issues with it but overall it was ok.

I liked the movie. There were some hits and misses for me.
Hit: Lin was fantastic!!! Her reminded me soo much of Burt from the original.
Hit: the music was fantastic!
Hit: special appearance( I won't say so it will remain a surprise) for the last song.

Miss: the bikes in the dance scene with the lamp lighters. They added some x-games type maneuvers that just seemed way out of place for the era of the movie.
Miss: Mary Poppins lines - I loved Emily Blunt but I thought there were a few places in the movie where the lines were snarky. Not what I would expect from Mary Poppins.

I love musicals and I liked this one better than Greatest showman (and I really liked it) and La La Land( didn't like it)

I liked the movie. There were some hits and misses for me.
Hit: Lin was fantastic!!! Her reminded me soo much of Burt from the original.
Hit: the music was fantastic!
Hit: special appearance( I won't say so it will remain a surprise) for the last song.

Miss: the bikes in the dance scene with the lamp lighters. They added some x-games type maneuvers that just seemed way out of place for the era of the movie.
Miss: Mary Poppins lines - I loved Emily Blunt but I thought there were a few places in the movie where the lines were snarky. Not what I would expect from Mary Poppins.

I love musicals and I liked this one better than Greatest showman (and I really liked it) and La La Land( didn't like it)

If you've ever read P L Travers MP books or saw a live MP musical, you'd find exactly that! I've watched a few TV interviews where EB stated she read the books( purposely didn't rewatch the movie) to take on her role in that way ( from the books)

Just came back from seeing it, and I LOVED it! Mary Poppins is my favorite Disney film and one of my favorite films in general, so this movie had some big shoes to fill. Naturally, nothing is going to quite live up to the first film (which is Practically Perfect in Every Way), but I thought this film did an excellent job of bringing the spirit of the first back. I haven't read PL Travers' books, so I'm not sure if this one's story aligns with any of the books, but I liked it very much. It worked very well. It was obvious that they tried to parallel the first movie (hopping into the bowl = hopping into chalk paintings, Visit with Cousin Topsy = Visit with Uncle Albert, the Lamplighters ("leeries") = the Chimney Sweeps, the balloons at the end = the kite flying of the first, and so on). I thought it was well done. The songs weren't quite as catchy, but they're new to me whereas I've been listening to the others since I was born.

I went with my parents, who are in their 70's, and they both loved it too. My dad is a musician and lover of all things musical, and he enjoyed it. As soon as the credits rolled at the end he said he thought it was wonderful. He admitted later that he really wasn't expecting much, as he held the first movie in such high regard, but he was very pleasantly surprised.

The cast was superb, in my opinion. Emily Blunt did a fine job as Mary, and I enjoyed her haughtiness. It cracks me up how she's always "just so" and usually primping on her hair and perfectly poised while "stuff and nonsense" is swirling around her. I really thought Ben Whishaw's performance was phenomenal. He's such a gifted actor. He broke my heart. Everyone else was wonderful too, especially the guest appearances. I knew about the first guest appearance in the bank, but was unaware of the second and was delighted. I feel that role was probably meant for a different actress *ahem*, but I assume she declined and this one was a very worthy person to take her place.

The last thing I'll say is that I hope the people who go see it don't read negative reviews ahead of time. It's interesting to me that a movie that is supposed to be about finding the magic and wonder of childhood once again is torn to shreds by cynical adults who seem unable to get over themselves enough to just go in and enjoy the thing for what it is. I was 10 years old again sitting there in the theater today, especially during the part where they go into the bowl. My 76-year old mom and I literally danced our way out of the theater to the music playing during the credits.

ETA: I just saw what I feel is a very deft description of the film: It's like a love letter to the first movie.
I think that's a perfect way to look at it.

Last edited:
I 've been listening to the music repeatedly on You tube and just bought the CD soundtrack. I am in love with the music.I think it's a beautiful tribute and an excellent transition from the original movie. I can pretty much assume NO ONE went home in 1964 and and decided "best music" either. It took some time!!'

Just watched it with my family today. Verdict: Totally AWESOME!!!! Best movie experience I've had in years. I loved how it was new but made you love the old. It was like having Christmas Dinner with a relative you haven't seen in 25 years. I got chills, I cried, I shouted, and I was even in shock at some of the hat tips to the original. Loved the music. Loved the acting. Loved the old-school animation scenes.

If you didn't like this film, you either don't like Mary Poppins to begin with, or you're just way too cynical to enjoy life in general much less a film. If you're a Disney nut and watched MP when you were a kid, don't miss this. Get the theater experience. You'll thank me for it!

Just watched it with my family today. Verdict: Totally AWESOME!!!! Best movie experience I've had in years. I loved how it was new but made you love the old. It was like having Christmas Dinner with a relative you haven't seen in 25 years. I got chills, I cried, I shouted, and I was even in shock at some of the hat tips to the original. Loved the music. Loved the acting. Loved the old-school animation scenes.

If you didn't like this film, you either don't like Mary Poppins to begin with, or you're just way too cynical to enjoy life in general much less a film. If you're a Disney nut and watched MP when you were a kid, don't miss this. Get the theater experience. You'll thank me for it!

I LOVE, LOVE your review. I wish we could have all been in the theatre together!!
I've bought the CD already. The music is truly as wonderful as from the original movie, without question.
I'm going to see it AGAIN!!

My sister and I saw it together on 12-23 while she was here for Christmas and we both loved it. Mary Poppins was the first big screen movie we saw as very young children on the original release so it was awesome to see this together. We had a lot of applause at the end at MPR.

Spoiler free- love the cast, LOVE the songs and score (the CD is living in my CD player). My sis and I have been commenting on which song is stuck in our heads at any given time. It's a big old fashioned splashy technicolor musical which sold me right there, and I love how they kept so much of the sound and feel of the original.

A few spoilers:
I love the Jack & Jane plot! Emily Mortimer was so absolutely spot on perfect as Jane, and I thought LMM was really charming and the way they handled the relationship was sweet.

I wish they had not spoiled the cameos in the trailer. I get them showing Dick Van Dyke to attract MP fans to the movie, but there is no excuse for them spoiling the surprise of Angela Lansbury. I am a big old fan of Bedknobs & Broomsticks and it made me so happy to see her here - and frankly AL was the perfect choice for that scene.

So I've heard there's some fan theory (or whatever you want to call it) that Mary Poppins is a Potterverse Witch - LOL, the going-to-see-Topsy scene totally sold me on that! Jack says he's "never seen this alley" before? Of course not! MP just took you into Wizarding London!

One note: Why did they feel they needed the little "thanks for coming" intro with EB and LMM? I get them doing these before the animated films in the wake of the John Lasseter scandal as a way of putting names and faces to the directors and writers who actually make those films, but an actor intro to MPR seemed unnecessary.

I saw MPR a second time last week and loved it as much the second time.

I'm planning to go see it again sometime this week. I absolutely loved it. I had been having a rough week at work and I walked out of the theatre feeling as though I was floating on air and that it was completely magical. I keep listening to the songs on repeat (though I skip a couple).

Awesome film, great music too! I was a little unsure at first but after seeing it again and playing the soundtrack I really like it a lot. Best movie I've seen in a long time. A friend I went with said the same thing and she goes to more movies than I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter