March Trip reports

I am bummed we missed the foal !

To finish my trip recap in a clip notes version- the cold front came through Monday night, so Tuesday was a cold rainy start to Epcot. As expected with that, we did not get to ride Test Track, but did get on Soarin and Mission Space with little to no wait. I love the new Soarin, but wish they would have left in the grove. With all the crowds, we kept heading back to the campsite mid day, which really took out some park time, but it was so nice sitting around the fire pit. They had Pluto just under the covered walkway as you walked in, so we got to take a photo right away, which was amazing! My 2 year old put our audio in German on Spaceship Earth, so I only really caught a few words. I'm pretty sure we built a tree house that recycles.

IMG_1218.JPG

On Wednesday, the girls and I decided to try and RD HS and ride SDD. Yeah right. The app I was using was very wrong for that day and the expected 20 minute wait was still 110 when we arrived. So we decided to go do other things while we waited for the boys to get there. We did walk around and eat at Woody's Lunchbox (mmmm, nutella pastry). This day was basically a bust TOT and RnR both went down , and they gave a "anytime FP" which was only really good for those two rides, which means the FP lines were 75 minutes long. We missed both of those, plus waited an hour to get decent seats at Indiana, which was still worth it. We did not get to Fantastic early enough, so we were at the VERY back, which was actually pretty neat. I still would have rather been at the bottom to get splashed and feel the fire, but by that time, I was pretty crowd done so being away from the masses was fine by me.

Thursday for our AK day, I got everyone up at 6 and so we could RD and get to Pandora. We tried to get there by 8, but the first bus changed from 7:24 to 7:44. When we arrived, there were already hundreds of people. I guess we should have taken a Minnie Van, but we were ok with a line. We ended up getting from the beginning of the line to the pre-show within about an hour. The queue was really impressive and I wish I could have lingered to check things out more, it really did look and feel like a research lab. The ride. WOW. just WOW. If we don't get to ride the Millennium Falcon on our next trip but can ride a Banshee a few times, I'll be ok.
We still missed so much because we went home to rest after getting up so early. The kids got to ride Everest, but the Safari was a 100 min wait :(
We also didn't get to see the Lion King or any of the other shows. Pandora at night was truly something magical. They could have made some more walking trails like they have in the rest of AK and that would have been so nice. Right now it still feels like a rush to the ride and then everyone leaves.
P_20190307_201601_LL.jpg

By Friday, we were beat and tired of fighting crowds and loosing time in the afternoon returning to camp. So we slept in and I took the kids to MK for our 11:30 FP for Buzz. (That ride sucks. I'm sorry, but it really really is lame) We hopped on the people mover while waiting for hubby to finish some work projects and eat some lunch before our FP for Space Mountain. This day felt redeeming. We were able to ride stuff that we missed the first day and a CM got us a redemption anytime FP for RnR to use on Sunday. So we decided to add a day and to to HS all day instead of just the morning.

We decided that there was nothing we could do to beat the crowds when you have to take two busses as a family of 6, so we slept in and hit the World Showcase early Saturday afternoon. The plan was to eat light in each area, but we ate a MASSIVE lunch in Morocco and we were too full to really get much, but I did get my Schoolbread in Norway, along with an overpriced viking coffee (how is Bailey's Irish cream a viking thing-?). Rode the Maelstrom knock off (I mean FEA)...I have to admit, the queue and the special effects were outstanding, I just really loved the original story, being a Norwegian Descendant myself. I can't say it was worth the 45 minute wait though. My girls got separated from me in the gift shop and called me from a CM's phone. I was both proud of them for knowing what to do and also thought it silly because I was on the other side of the room haha.
My feet hurt SO BAD by this day that I was totally happy with holding an Illuminations spot for an hour eating fish n chips while the kids rode Mission Space again. I don't know if we were just in a much better spot this time, but I really enjoyed the show more than I ever had before.
P_20190309_213713_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Sunday was a leisure day. We took the bus to the settlement, to take a boat to the monorail, to take a monorail to Epcot, to take a bus to HS. Whew.
We went strait to RnR, then had ice cream before riding Star Tours again. I was bummed that I got the exact same story both times we rode :( But it was still fun. Then we took our 2 year old to meet Mickey and everyone decided they wanted to head back to the Fort for a swim and to enjoy the day. We did miss ToT still but the pool was calling and everyone agreed.
epcot from the air.jpg
We missed so much: Carousel of Progress, ToT, Splash Mountain, SDD, Visiting the stables at the Fort. So we are already planning for a Sept 2020 visit. Y'all, I can't do crowds, it was way too stressful the first 2.5 days. It is hard when you come every 4 years because you want to do all the new stuff, plus stuff you missed last time, PLUS the favorites. Also, the drive home was miserable with the spring forward time change and crossing the time zones. I still don't know what time it is. It also felt like such a whirlwind, that we really don't feel like we went at all. I told my hubby the goal is to try and go to Disney every 18 months for the next few visits while the kids are young. We will dot some camping in between trips, but we will hold off on the " see the states" road trips a few more years, until they are old enough to appreciate the road schooling I want to do when they are in middle/high school. I would like to take an entire year off to just road school in the next 5 years.

It took 3 days to get home...I will be searching for a small TT or a large Hybrid so we can just pop in to a Cracker Barrel or a TA on the way and not have to do the hotel search game.
We arrived home on my oldest son's 7th birthday. He was not as impressed with being in the car again for his birthday, so we had a tiny donut party for him at 10pm. I'm sure we were all delirious.

boys at camp.jpg

Sorry it was so busy! Hope you had some fun. How was the fort in general? Pool? Campsight? Inquiring minds want to know!

Friday was our last full day of vacation.

We had tickets for the New York Mets vs. Washington Nationals in Port St. Lucie (90 minutes south of Jetty Park) which is the Mets' spring training home. We got to park relatively close and walk in just as they were singing the national anthem.

Thankfully, gratefully, our seats were in the shade the whole game, it started out cloudy but ended sunny, and there was a breeze in the stands.

Dog-n-Suds Report #3 - New York Mets: winner winner, chicken dinner. :rockband: My standards were pretty low after the poor reports from the Braves and the Tigers but the Mets had all beef Nathan's Famous Hotdogs plus you could add kraut (or onions) and they had Gulden's spicy mustard in addition to regular mustard. The draft Bud Light came in a souvenir team cup and prices were correct. They got the trophy for this initial effort.

Having not had anything to eat that morning before arriving at the game, I was hungry. So the above meal I considered as breakfast. In about the 4th inning I went in search of lunch and stumbled across nirvana: an italian sausage with onions and peppers, a bag of peanuts, and another BL. Retire the trophy! :worship:

In retrospect, I fear I didn't do enough recon on the ground at Tigertown and WWoS. Maybe that had that italian sausage or braut of their own and I didn't hunt down the grill in right field (for example). I'll have to save those concerns for a future excursion.

As for the game itself, it has a high scoring affair on the part of the Nationals. They hit several home runs and it was 11-2 when we left. Mets fans around us were not happy. In the second inning it was 5-1 or something like that and the 6-year old in the row in front of me in the Mets jersey and cap shouted, "Pitching Change". Gee, tough crowd. :sad2:

But the game was well-attended-lots of NY plates in the parking lot. No, Tim Tebow didn't play.

Full house:

The one thing I will say is those fans from New York talk funny.

Need to roll to another post to cover the rest of Friday.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
When we arrived Friday back at Jetty Park after the Mets game, the automobile line was backed up double lane at least 12 cars deep. It was just after 5pm and people were already arriving to stake their spot in the day use area to watch the rocket launch scheduled for 656pm. While we were in line to enter the park (we were headed for the campground portion), the Disney Dream put out to sea down the ship channel blowing its horn which plays snippets of Disney songs.

We parked at our trailer and had some time to pre-load some items so we could make a quick get-away in the morning. Eventually we walked through the fence to the ship channel to look north across the water at the Cape for the Delta IV launch that was 8 miles north of us. The Delta IV has four side boosters and the taller center rocket that carries the payload. It's currently the largest launch vehicle in the world (will be surpassed by the SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket which has only had a test flight).

There was quite a large crowd gathered along the rocky channel.

The tourist port cruise ships were loaded with rocket fans.

But as is the way with space launches, delays came up, problems had to be resolved, and the launch got pushed back to 826pm which was after dark now. DW tweaked her back and went back to the camper. But as we approached launch time (T-zero) we could see the launch pad lit up in the distance across the channel (apologies for fuzzy pics).

But right at 826pm, the pad lit up. Strangely, there was no sound or rumble.

The rocket began to lift off the pad and climb into the night sky.

Finally the sound caught up to us. It took nearly 40 seconds for the sound to reach us (I did the math using the speed of sound at sea level and the distance from the pad and it was about right).

Back at the trailer, DW stepped outside and took a picture with the Aliner door at the bottom of the picture.

Everyone around me and DD at the channel applauded when the liftoff started. It soared out over the ocean leaving a trail of white smoke that was visible in the night sky due to the bright half moon we had on that clear night. We watched it for nearly two minutes when the four side boosters fell away and began their fall into the water. Each had a red blinking beacon light on top so we watched those four tiny red lights get closer to the dark horizon as the central rocket portion light got smaller and smaller as it flew away from us.

When everyone else started getting ready to leave, we did too. It was fantastic. Here is a YouTube video of the launch:

Since it was after 830pm we wanted a quick dinner and then to turn in. So we ate dinner at a restaurant down at the Port area near FishLips called Rusty's and had a table outside. It was delicious as well.

I'll briefly cover the drive home day and final thoughts tomorrow. But I should sleep like a rock at home tonight.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Hey it's cold up here in Alabama! :cold: I left Cape Canaveral in shorts and flip flops and by the time I got out of the Suburban at my favorite Flying J in Dothan, AL, it was 58F and windy. I literally had not brought any long sleeves or long pants on this trip. (So I only stood there shivering long enough to buy enough gas to get me home). :teeth:

We really enjoyed this recent spring break vacation. The first half was busy with 2 trips to Disney two days in a row for the the Braves game/Disney Springs and MK day. But my favorite time was the days after that - the KSC visit, the Tigers game, and the Mets game plus the rocket launch. Coupled with the visit to camp north of Orlando with the manatees a few months ago, I'm finally getting outside the Disney bubble while keeping my toe still in its water (mixing metaphors again). I made it to the Fort both trips if only briefly and longingly looked at my favorite loop 100 but paying $49 a night versus $196 for a campsite gave me some leeway to do different things.

So if you're a Fort camper and have a day off, go see the manatees if it's a cold day on a winter month. Or see a spring training baseball game and get a dog-n-suds if you're there in spring. Visit the beach at Jetty Park (about 70 minutes from the Fort) and wave at the cruise ships leaving in the late afternoon. Experience American space dreams at the Kennedy Space Center. Or swim in the cool crystal clear water of Blue Spring on a hot summer day. And if you want to explore the Disney bubble on your day off from the theme parks, go ahead and dive right in! There's lots to do there on an off-day on property. And if you're coming via I95, consider Anastasia SP and St. Augustine for a night or two either way.

Here was my stash from this trip. I'm adding it to my collection from prior trips of Dole Whip bowls, glasses from parks and establishments on property, and I'm on the lookout for more.

I plan to get some mint chocolate chip ice cream for the Mickey Kitchen Sink bowl tonight. :p

Our next rough Fort plans are for the "Rendezvous At The Fort" DIS Meet tentatively planned for October 2020. I'm gonna do some data collection between now and the Gulf DIS Meet in May on some aspects of the Rendezvous.

I hope everyone in this March trip report has had, is having, or will have a great trip. Keep those updates coming be they pre-, post- trip or during. And we love pictures!

Bama Ed

Last edited:
rideswithchrist-thanks for the trip report. We are headed to the fort in a few weeks, and your report got me thinking that it might be time to plan a few "trip details."

bamaed-about the Mickey ice cream....was there enough ice cream in Mickey's pants to consider this in place of a meal?

bamaed-about the Mickey ice cream....was there enough ice cream in Mickey's pants to consider this in place of a meal?

This is a serious question. :scratchin

The scientific method demands that I consider this situation in a rigorous manner. :teacher:

So I conducted an experiment tonight.

My answer is that it equates to a small Counter Service meal. A small hot dog with french fries. Couple a Mickey/Minnie Sundae with a drink and it's an equivalent CS meal. I wouldn't make it my MAIN meal at a park but coupled with a table service, yes, the souvenir sundae is enough to tide you over.

I washed mine out in a park bathroom after eating it (well, I had to split mine three ways with DW and DD) and got a clear bag from one of the shops to make carrying it easier. But it is a nice take-home item and worth the price IMO.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Wait what @snowmedic is at the Fort again?!?!?!?! Some guys have all the luck. Either way enjoy your anniversary at TE. We had ours back in 2014 at TE. My mom told the waitress when we were getting another plate of food. We even got to be put on display for all the rest of the diners to jest on our behalf. Dinner bell and all. We even had to give each other a kiss and act like we liked each other too! LOL At that time we were only 8 years officially on the job. This year it would be number 13 if I make it that far. LOL However, enjoy. Glad to see you were able to find your way to the Fort.

Wait what @snowmedic is at the Fort again?!?!?!?! Some guys have all the luck. Either way enjoy your anniversary at TE. We had ours back in 2014 at TE. My mom told the waitress when we were getting another plate of food. We even got to be put on display for all the rest of the diners to jest on our behalf. Dinner bell and all. We even had to give each other a kiss and act like we liked each other too! LOL At that time we were only 8 years officially on the job. This year it would be number 13 if I make it that far. LOL However, enjoy. Glad to see you were able to find your way to the Fort.

I am in Orlando, just not staying at the Fort. I had a ressie checking in on Easter but work was slow this month so we moved it up, couldn’t get anything at the Fort with 2 weeks prior to coming down so staying at a KOA in Orlando until the 29 instead.
I will be back at the Fort for October though.

bama-ed-thanks for the ice cream visual.

I was looking at this thread yesterday and just realized that this was where all the trip reports were going. :rolleyes1

Hanging out at DS with family from Oklahoma, went to the top floor of Coke story and tried Beverly’s Revenge, it just as bad as the regular drink. I got through half of it before the rest found it’s way to a trash can.

As I like Beverly, I shall be interested to try....

I am in Orlando, just not staying at the Fort. I had a ressie checking in on Easter but work was slow this month so we moved it up, couldn’t get anything at the Fort with 2 weeks prior to coming down so staying at a KOA in Orlando until the 29 instead.
I will be back at the Fort for October though.

The MH this time?

The background that those pins are on is kinda "freaky"...
It’s DW’s mink elephant blanket. I thought the same thing with it’s eye staring at me.
The MH this time?

No, it’s still covered in snow, and I kinda took out the drivers side mirror with the ladder on my work truck and haven’t ordered a replacement yet.
October will be it’s first trip south.

No, it’s still covered in snow, and I kinda took out the drivers side mirror with the ladder on my work truck and haven’t ordered a replacement yet.
October will be it’s first trip south.

I was wondering. I thought maybe you were making reference to me planning my camping trip in a tent and just felt sorry for me.

Hate that about the mirror, but you gotta expect losses in a large operation such as camping.

I was wondering. I thought maybe you were making reference to me planning my camping trip in a tent and just felt sorry for me.

No, no references. I’m sure it’s going to feel a lot different going from a nice R.V. to a tent. Maybe you will like the tent and decided to get a nice big canvas tent. :rotfl2: Just think of the fuel mileage you will get. :drive:
Kidding of course, I hope you find the perfect R.V. for the 2020 Dis get together.

Since it is only a month away I thought I would start the March trip reports. Please join in with pre trip reports now and add your actual trip report when you arrive.

We will be there from March 27th - March 31st. Fast passes are made ( of course no Slinky Dog :sad2: but that's ok, I've ridden it, DH hasn't, maybe one day). We are not doing any dining plans, will mostly eat at the campsite with a few quick services meals while at the parks. Planning on faxing my loop (1600 or 1800) request in again as it has worked the past three times, twice with a site right on the canal :).
This is our first trip to Fort Wilderness WITH our new travel trailer. 2 more days.....March21 -24 preferred loop (I requested loop 100.) We rented an RV last fall at the Fort and were smitten. Bought our Open Range a month later. Already been a few spots but cant wait to break in the camper at Disney. Lucky, I was able to get all the FP I wanted (FOP, Mine train, Thunder and Splash mountains, Slinky, Rocking coaster, Star tours, Kilimanjaro, and Everest.) We, of course, have brunch reserved at Trail's End, our favorite. We are trying something new this time, Splitsville, for bowling and lunch. While we are in Disney Springs, even though, we have done it twice, I will try to convince her to do The Void Star Wars experience again. Can not wait to hear Stacy, Do the must Do's, from our very own camper tvResized_20190114_180134.jpeg .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter