Yeah...most plans have you go to 23 right?
Really depends on the plan. Some only go to 20, some more some less. In my two marathons I have only gone to 20 and felt fine. You may need 21-24 for more mental confidence. It really depends on you.

It really depends on the plan. I think 20 is kind of the magic number for most generic plans. There are also training plans that focus more on time than distance, too. @DopeyBadger makes a lot of these plans for folks. The maximum long run for the three marathon plans that I’ve done of his ranged from 14-16 miles. You make up for that with a little more mid-week work, but I’ve felt very prepared going into each race.

I've recently incorporated run/walk into my training and my body is much happier! I'm currently running my usual 12mm pace at a 90/30 interval, he suggests that pace be 120/60 intervals but I find that my times are actually improving using the 90/30 intervals. I remember a discussion a few months back (it may even be on the 2018 thread) about interval length anyone remember the details of that?

Maybe this one?

Some science for run/walk methodology

You can most certainly manipulate the length of the interval. For me personally, when I write others pacing I set the walk at 30 seconds (per Galloway's most recent recommendation). I then find out the comfortable walking pace from the runner and that sets the distance covered for the walk. I then set the run pace/duration based on the current fitness of the person and trying to find fitness relevant pacing. Like for instance for the Galloway LR pace (Marathon pace + 2 min), I tend to use Marathon pace +9% as the run pace. Then based on 3/4 intervals being set (person's walk pace, 30 sec walk duration, and MP +9%) allows me to figure out the run duration to hit the MP + 2 min. This blends Galloway's methodology with my methodologies on current fitness pacing. It keeps the LR as almost exclusively easy and aerobic as desired.

Here are some testimonials from other's I've helped that have done a 2.5 hr max LR (a few run/walk go to 180 min).

TESTIMONIALS: 2018 Disney Marathon Weekend; Winter/Spring 2018

Several different ways to make it accomplishable. While the plan may max at 14/16 miles, what you'll see is the runner is still doing a significant amount of running throughout the week. The one thing I really try hard to accomplish in writing a marathon plan is having some back to back days at very easy pacing. So a hallmark is a 90 min Saturday + a 150 min Sunday near the end of the plan. While in total mileage the long run may be down, the cumulative mileage of these two runs may be near that same distance but allows for recovery between. It keeps you training so that the necessary recovery from the long run doesn't bleed into the rest of the week's training.

It's pretty common to see a 20 mile max in a marathon. Some coaches that advocate for a time duration limit of 150-180 min for a single training run are Hansons, Jack Daniels, and Jeff Gaudette.

Thought I was the only one underwhelmed by Illuminations.

Staying out of this after that comment.

Eh, there are things I like that others don't and there are things I don't like that others do. Hopefully all of us are adults and won't be offended by varying opinions! (Although it is always fun to pick on @rteetz)

I liked Illuminations the first time I saw it. It's been going on for almost 19 years and I'm bored now. I gave it another chance a couple years ago when I was there around Christmas time and eh.. I also haven't seen Fantastic in 11 years so I guess we could say I find that overrated too.

Eh, there are things I like that others don't and there are things I don't like that others do. Hopefully all of us are adults and won't be offended by varying opinions! (Although it is always fun to pick on @rteetz)

I liked Illuminations the first time I saw it. It's been going on for almost 19 years and I'm bored now. I gave it another chance a couple years ago when I was there around Christmas time and eh.. I also haven't seen Fantastic in 11 years so I guess we could say I find that overrated too.

I think you’ve hit it on the head. I wouldn’t call Illuminations overrated so much as I would call it stale. I loved it when I started going to Disney. Now I don’t think I’ve seen it in 6 or 7 years and really don’t miss it. All the other fireworks shows on property have been updated or had seasonal variations introduced. Illuminations is still Illuminations with its now dated visuals and technology. It’s just boring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter