Marathon Weekend 2018

Sundays are for Disney:

I'm a non-traditionalist. I've tried to like Haunted Mansion. I ride it every time I go. I know I'm supposed to enjoy it. And...I can't get there. It's fine, but the magic is lost on me. I feel like it could be so much more and that it's lost in nostalgia. :stir::confused3

Anyway, I guess among the dark rides I'd go with Under the Sea-Journey of the Little Mermaid. I like the music and it's my niece's favorite.

Am I the only one considering doing the expo on day two? I am doing the half by itself, so I think there should still be swag on day 2 with potentially less crowding.

Nope..Our family will be going on D3.

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week. I’m getting this out early before I’m in the middle of nowhere in the woods for deer hunting.

Today’s question: focusing in on Magic Kingdom dark rides (stuff like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, etc.) which is your favorite?

My answer: I’m going to go with Haunted Mansion. It’s one of those classic attractions that has stood the test of time and is still a marvel in today’s world.

Although I love the classics like HM & Pirates, my favorite "dark" ride is Buzz...I'm a wee bit competitive with my family

Disney definitely doesn’t police it.

Just to clarify, you can sign up for magical express but skip the bus ride and rent a car? You’re tagged luggage will still get to the resort even if you don’t check in down at DME?

I gotta imagine it’s not DISNEY policy but it would be pretty convenient to go right to the expo (and get away with renting a smaller car).

Just to clarify, you can sign up for magical express but skip the bus ride and rent a car? You’re tagged luggage will still get to the resort even if you don’t check in down at DME?

I gotta imagine it’s not DISNEY policy but it would be pretty convenient to go right to the expo (and get away with renting a smaller car).
Correct. As long as you have the DME tags you'll be fine. You aren't supposed to do that but people do.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dme-luggage-only-dont-want-to-ride-the-bus.2015788/

This thread has good information on people’s experiences doing what you described.

I'm torn between Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Even though I've been on both so many times I always seem to find something new each ride. Disneyland did a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay (not sure if they still do) and that was very neat as all new to me.

Okay experts, I need some timing advice. How long would you factor the following to take, yes, I know there are no guarantees just looking for a few ball parks to go along with my own ideas:

Magic Express to POP (if it matters flight arrives at 11:40am)
Check-in at POP
POP to Expo
I've never stayed at POP, hence why I don't trust my estimates.

This is us too! DD27 lands at 11:00 and I land at 11:24 (hopefully!) but we are headed to Saratoga Springs. I was figuring we would get to the expo by 2:00ish. :)

Today’s question: focusing in on Magic Kingdom dark rides (stuff like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, etc.) which is your favorite?

Pirates all the way for me. It's always been my favorite. I'm worried about the rumored rehab coming up sometime next year because I would hate to miss it. I actually missed the DL version by one day when we were out there last February. It went down for rehab the day before we got there so now I guess I need a redo of that trip!

Last edited:
Haunted Mansion - I have memories of being little and too scared to ride (and having to sit outside with my mom, while my dad and sister rode, because I was too afraid to go in... ha ha)! And now it's my favorite. There is so much detail and the entire ride is creative and unique from start to finish.

I like Pirates, but I get stuck or wet (sometimes soaked) on that ride too often these days! Last time I rode I got soaked w/ water in the cannon scene.

I also love the Little Mermaid ride, though ... I seem to always get on it without much wait, which is helpful. Plus I love the music. I often wind up riding multiple times per day if the lines are short!

Some LE Marathon shirts on the Disney Store website...they kind of have a late 80s/early 90s flair, maybe they're supposed to take y'all back to 90s when the first marathon happened?

https://www.shopdisney.com/property...res=&redirect=true&rsize=281&rquery=rundisney
I know I may be in the minority, but I hope this is a sign for things to come. I prefer my running and Disney gear both to be delightfully tacky.

As for Sundays question, another Haunted Mansion fan here. I do really enjoy a flight on Peter Pan but it's a ride I've skipped my last few visits.

Quick Question. I'm flying in early on Saturday morning and will be running the Marathon on Sunday (first one, yeah!!). The best flight I could get was super early Saturday morning. I'll arrive in Orlando at 10:30am. Staying at Carribbean Beach (aka. constuction sight) and taking the Disney Magical Express and worrying about getting to the expo on time for pickup. I believe it closes at 3pm Saturday. I'm also flying out of Wisconsin, so hopefully weather isn't a factor. Just looking for some reassurance since there seem to be a lot of people that know their stuff on this board. By my estimates, I figure I'll arrive at the hotel around noonish, figuring a half hour or so for check-in, then who knows how long for a bus and heading right to the packet pick up area hopefully around 1:30ish?? Sound about right, or am I way off??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter