"Managing Out" TDS workforce

SorcererMM

Earning My Ears
Those of you who have worked in TDS management should be all-too familiar with the term "managing out" castmembers. It is the process of "helping" them to find thier way out of the TDS operation. How often have you felt that YOU were being managed out? Or have you indeed left the company voluntarily or otherwise after being pressured from your superiors?

As a store manager, I found it quite surprising how often the DM "wrote off" certain members of management as well as CM's because he/she just didn't like the person. I had a CM celebrate ten years of service with the company and the DM did not even recognize it. Not that the CM minded, but it just did not seem right. The DM would rather have seen the CM move on to better things. This CM was a TDS gem who received no respect from the DM or higher.

The DM's and others at TDS have thier own agendas and favorites. When I was offered the SM position at my store, I had to keep it a secret for three days until the DM would notify the other ASM that I was chosen. The other ASM was told that I would be the new SM, two hours before I came to work. The next day that ASM gave two weeks notice and left.

Here's another one. After I left the company, the same DM offered my old position to a close friend and former SM. Where's the problem, you ask? After the person accepted the position, the DM proceeded to conduct interviews with two candidates for the job making them feel like they were being considered for the position when they never had a chance.

Now I thought that what I experienced in my district was an isolated case. But after talking with other SM's, current and former, I have found that this infact goes on in other districts. I cannot believe how morale has gone down at TDS. I am also quite surprised at how many people are literally afraid of thier jobs with this company. Believe me folks, it's not worth it. There are better jobs out there and yes, there are much better companies. Sometimes the 35% discount and the Silver Passes just are'nt worth it.

What do you think?

Sounds a lot like many other companies. Often, a hiring manager will "know" who they want to hire before even starting the interview process. Ideally, they keep an open mind, and they shouldn't disclose their leanings in advance, but it happens.

I've been on both sides of the "he/she just doesn't like me" equation. In most cases, there is a valid reason a manager doesn't favor certain employees, but rarely does the employee ever take responsibility for any part of it. Also, since managers are frequently unable to tell their side of the story to anyone, its easy to miss their side. As for the specific examples you mentioned, its just a case of you have to be there to know, and since I wasn't, its hard to agree or disagree with you.

Regardless, everyone should be treated fairly, however. If 10-year anniversaries are normally recognized, they should be recognized for everyone.

"Helping someone to find their way out" is very common, though the way I've usually heard it put is "Manage them up, or manage them out..." If someone is not viewed as a contributor to the common goals, its a manager's responsibility to deal with that. I know that in your situation you believe that the person is/was a valuable contributor, but clearly bad apples will eventually find their way into the basket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter