Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume SIX!

So, not everyone who knows me knows that I have a somewhat odd hobby. It isn't odd that I make quilts, that is something many women do. It is odd that I have turned it into my own form of charitable giving.
I make photo quilts as gifts for family members, and friends. Using photos from childhood for graduation quilts, or wedding photos as a wedding gift quilt from our family.
But in the past couple of years, I've been honored a few times to have a Make a Wish family (family of a Wish Child) share their precious photos from a granted wish, and turn those photos into a special quilt that an ill child can look at to remember the wish that allowed them to reclaim a little bit of their lost childhood. A memory quilt that can go to hospital with them and cover them with warmth and the memory of a happy time when they just got to be a kid.
I love every single quilt I make.
But these precious quilts are my favorites. I am truly honored and humbled that these families would share these photos with me, and allow me to be a small part of the magic of a wish.
If you are a parent in a Wish family, and willing to share the images of your wish magic with me, I would be honored to create a special quilt for your Wish Kid. PM me for info on Wish quilts. No charge!! This is not a sales pitch!! This is a way to stretch out the magic of the Wish.

Our daughter just got told she is being granted a wish and she is choosing a week in Aulani in early 2020!

HOT DARN !!!!!!!
I am so happy for her (and, of course her accompanying family members)!
Sometimes when I hear such stories, I sit here and have tears.

God Bless, and have a truly happy time!

So, unfortunately our daughter relapsed last year. She had her first make a wish trip to Disney when she was 3.5; (she is 7 now). Our social worker told us that she would qualify for a second wish through the Marty Lyons Foundation. Again, she wants to do Disney. However, since it is a second wish--she wouldn't stay at the GKTW or get the genie pass. It would also just be Disney. Has anyone used the Marty Lyons foundation for a second wish to Disney-what can we expect?

Our daughter will be getting her dream trip from Sunshine Foundation. We will not be staying at the Dream Village . She will get $2000. toward her trip and we will cover the rest it’s so generous . We are so grateful for the opportunities to see her excited this last year has been harder than normal. In 2011 Autumn had a cheerleading accident in a pyramid and the coaches panicked and moved her . Autum has a short in her spinal cord that causes the brain to swell and seizures as well as hemiplegic migraine and Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophyand , late stage Lymes. So her conditions are chronic but this year it’s been on relapse after the other . I sat today and cried as I read through the boards you guys get it . For us she could be fine on moment and not able to speak , see and pralized on her left side she may not know us .

For all the families living on the roller coaster . May you have an amazing time full of memories and kindness. I’m so excited for our trip . Does anyone know if they have a person that works with Dream trips granted through Sunshine foundation?

1) Sunshine Foundation is a nice "camp". The are small, but VERY CARING.
2) Our Kiwanis Key Club (high school branch of Kiwanis) volunteers there frequently.
3) You will be pleased with their attention to people with health issues.
4) Have fun and enjoy the trip . . . all of you!

NOTE: Sunshine Foundation takes kids who have severe and chronic health problems, where as GKTW takes kids sponsored by Make-A-Wish and are *usually* terminal. A big difference, but they fill a very critical need, and they do it very well. We are highly proud of this organization.

1) Sunshine Foundation is a nice "camp". The are small, but VERY CARING.
2) Our Kiwanis Key Club (high school branch of Kiwanis) volunteers there frequently.
3) You will be pleased with their attention to people with health issues.
4) Have fun and enjoy the trip . . . all of you!

NOTE: Sunshine Foundation takes kids who have severe and chronic health problems, where as GKTW takes kids sponsored by Make-A-Wish and are *usually* terminal. A big difference, but they fill a very critical need, and they do it very well. We are highly proud of this organization.
Please let them know how grateful we and so many others are for so many to take so much time and give . Truly some days it’s what keeps so many family going . This last week alone we had a minimum of 3 doctors appointments per day .

Are you sure on that? Definitely not true based on the sample on this thread (admittedly, it could be biased). Many do have diseases that could/may be fatal, but it is definitely not true that most children have received a terminal diagnosis (I have a personal issue with referring to a person as "terminal", but admit that that is a person thing).

Are you sure on that? Definitely not true based on the sample on this thread (admittedly, it could be biased). Many do have diseases that could/may be fatal, but it is definitely not true that most children have received a terminal diagnosis (I have a personal issue with referring to a person as "terminal", but admit that that is a person thing).
Please accept my apology my intentions were to not offend anyone . I should have said more severe that would have been a better word . As I had posted in a previous post it was a very long couple of months wth hospital ,therapy appointment and doctors. Autumn had been paralyzed and in rigger for day which means I had to care for my child as if they were a stroke patient.

Please accept my apology my intentions were to not offend anyone . I should have said more severe that would have been a better word . As I had posted in a previous post it was a very long couple of months wth hospital ,therapy appointment and doctors. Autumn had been paralyzed and in rigger for day which means I had to care for my child as if they were a stroke patient.

That wasn't directed at you (I've rewritten that a few times and cannot make it not sound snarky - please know it isn't meant that way). Unless, I missed it, you didn't actually ever use the word "terminal". It was directed at RustyScupper and his claim that children at GKTW have *usually* been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I hope that you and your family have an amazing experience!

We have a friend that had a child with leukemia when she was 2 and they got their wish poor mom did not realize they gave wish’s to children that were non terminally ill . The doctor read the fear on her face and explained that it wasn’t as it sounded . I’m happy to say 24 years later that beautiful little girl took her babies on their first Disney trip September 2018 . So it’s definitely for children if many illness and parents that face way to much heartache and worries .

our MAW chapter grants wishes to kids with conditions that are considered "life threatening." So not necessarily terminal illnesses, but with the potential to be.

Can someone tell me if our daughter is eligible for a genie pass if her trip is through the Sunshine foundation?

So, unfortunately our daughter relapsed last year. She had her first make a wish trip to Disney when she was 3.5; (she is 7 now). Our social worker told us that she would qualify for a second wish through the Marty Lyons Foundation. Again, she wants to do Disney. However, since it is a second wish--she wouldn't stay at the GKTW or get the genie pass. It would also just be Disney. Has anyone used the Marty Lyons foundation for a second wish to Disney-what can we expect?
I was checking up on you and how you are doing? I hope you are all doing well.
I would wish for Disneyland. Btw change it up.
But it was really nice visiting gtktw finding our star having ice cream going to the party. None of that changes just cant stay there. I'm so sorry that you are rebattleing this demon

I was checking up on you and how you are doing? I hope you are all doing well.
I would wish for Disneyland. Btw change it up.
But it was really nice visiting gtktw finding our star having ice cream going to the party. None of that changes just cant stay there. I'm so sorry that you are rebattleing this demon

Thank you so much. She is doing well, back in school, still on maintenance chemo for another year. But she is an amazing kid. I think because she battled it for so long--it is just part of her, she knows nothing else. (Diagnosed at 2.5; ended treatment at 5, relapsed at 6.5 and will end treatment at 8.5)

Marty Lyons did contact us, we are going to Disney in October--since we aren't staying at GKTW (because you can only stay there once), they are putting us up in a hotel. No genie pass this time, but we are super excited just to go on a vacation with family. (Since it is a second wish, and the foundation is a lot smaller--there were definitely MORE limitations on where/what kids could do)

FOR PREVIOUS GKTW GUESTS . . .

1) You can only stay at GKTW one per "Wish Granted Child".
2) However, as a alum, you can day-visit GKTW as many times as you wish.
3) If you ask very nicely, they have been know to arrange a Genie Pass for you at WDW.

FOR PREVIOUS GKTW GUESTS . . .

1) You can only stay at GKTW one per "Wish Granted Child".
2) However, as a alum, you can day-visit GKTW as many times as you wish.
3) If you ask very nicely, they have been know to arrange a Genie Pass for you at WDW.
Rusty, i had no idea they might give alumni a genie pass. Would i call in advance to ask this, or ask about it when we go back to visit the village?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!