Main dining

cheermom2four

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I booked my cruise over a year ago with just my DH, DD7 and me and chose main dining. Obviously that's the popular time because now there's a wait list. Well one month ago I decided to add my DS18 to our room as space opened up (TA had to check for us for a few weeks as the muster stations must've been filled because there was no room to add him to our specific stateroom and I refused to change my room). Well, my TA informed me that he's on 2nd dining but on wait list for main. We are in the same cabin so there's a chance he cant even sit with us at dinner? I have done late dining our previous cruises and really wanted main this time but dont know if they will move him before or will I need to see if they can change it when we get on the ship. Is there a chance we wont get to sit together? I'd rather skip main dining if we cant even be together for dinner as like I said, I really do not want to dine that late yet again.

Check to make sure the reservations are linked as Travel With. Even if he is waitlisted, if your reservations are linked it is better possibility of the main dining being granted. If you do not see the changes prior to boarding on embarkation day, then you would want to go to the location on the Navigator listed for dining changes and request there as well. ETA: Please see updated response below....I misunderstood that this was the same stateroom but that your son has Second and the rest of your stateroom has main. Have your TA call back and check to see if it has been updated yet.

Last edited:
I agree with PP, about checking the link of your DS to your resv. When my DH's sister and husband (first timers) got their resv. for Alaska in Sept this year, they were second seating. Once I linked them they got main with us.

There's something I don't understand. Dining assignment is not per person but per stateroom. I don't think it is possible for him to be assigned to late and you to early if all four of you are in the same room. Maybe they had to move the entire group to second seating because he was added to the room ?

In any case, waitlisting usually works unless the ship is close to max capacity. It might be the case for your cruise since your muster station was full.

yeah I didnt think it was possible either to have a separate dining assignment for one stateroom. There is only one reservation so nothing to link just that he was added later to our stateroom and his name shows late dining and ours shows main

Hi all, I booked my cruise over a year ago with just my DH, DD7 and me and chose main dining. Obviously that's the popular time because now there's a wait list. Well one month ago I decided to add my DS18 to our room as space opened up (TA had to check for us for a few weeks as the muster stations must've been filled because there was no room to add him to our specific stateroom and I refused to change my room). Well, my TA informed me that he's on 2nd dining but on wait list for main. We are in the same cabin so there's a chance he cant even sit with us at dinner? I have done late dining our previous cruises and really wanted main this time but dont know if they will move him before or will I need to see if they can change it when we get on the ship. Is there a chance we wont get to sit together? I'd rather skip main dining if we cant even be together for dinner as like I said, I really do not want to dine that late yet again.

I misread the original when I replied. That is indeed odd as you are all in the same stateroom under one reservation and he is the only one showing as Second and you are main. I would advise you to have your TA call back and check to make sure that it has not already been switched over to your son being on main dining with you.

How much time is left till your cruise? If it is still before PIF (and not over a holiday weekend or spring break) I'd say you have a very good chance for him to be added to main dining off the waitlist since people cancel as the PIF date approaches. You probably have a pretty good chance regardless since you are only trying to find space for one person in main dining. If you don't make it off the waitlist, just go to dining changes as soon as you get on the ship and you will probably be fine. It's not as though you are trying to add a huge party.

I would say keep checking back and reaching out to see if he can be switched. We are 35 days away from our cruise and our concierge host said they haven't blocked out table assignments yet, so I think there is a high chance of them being able to fit him in. They only allow x amount of people to be listed as 1st dining before they block out as many tables sit 4 and only have three occupants. They allow some buffer space in their initial count to make sure parties can be seated together. The actual stateroom assignments to table numbers comes closer to the departure date so I would bet they can fit him in at whatever table they assign you to!

Thanks everyone! I will have my TA call again next week since PIF is next Sunday to make sure we are all 4 showing up as one main dining time.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. That's the kind of thing you can change on board. They're not going to make you sit away from someone in the same stateroom as you, and it's only one person. I'd just go to dining changes when you board if it hasn't officially changed by then, but it wouldn't be a worry.

I agree with Ashley - even if you don't get an official answer from DCL/ your TA, they will do everything they can to accommodate you. You may even want to ask your TA to request a private table for your party.

yeah I didnt think it was possible either to have a separate dining assignment for one stateroom. There is only one reservation so nothing to link just that he was added later to our stateroom and his name shows late dining and ours shows main
Where are you looking where you see a different assignment per person ? On the DCL site, the seating is associated with the reservation, not the individuals. In any case, the head waiters will surely notice the mistake in their system when they do the table assignments a few weeks before the cruise.

This same exact thing just happened to us! My adult son was added late and put on second dining. I thought that was so odd! But within 2 days, he was switched to main. I called to be sure we were all at the same table at main dining and they said yes we all are seated together. I have a feeling he won’t be second dining for long!
Have fun! :)

You may even want to ask your TA to request a private table for your party.
Yep I did do that but doubt we will get it for main dining.

This same exact thing just happened to us!

Oh good, I'm not the only one. That was soooooooooo odd. I'll call my TA and see what's up

That's the kind of thing you can change on board.
yeah, I could but hoping to avoid having to do anything when we get on the ship lol. I'm always having to go to dinner changes, palo, and guest services when we board but prepaid tips even as I just want to not have to do anything but at least I know this is an option. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter