Magical Extras and Hidden Gems for Children Ages 9, 11, & 14

bethannie203

Mouseketeer
Hey Disney friends!

We are going the first week of May to WDW and Universal with our best friends and their children , Boy- age 9, Girl- age 11, and Girl- age 14. We will also be spending a little time at CityWalk and Disney Springs.

We want them to have the most magical experience ever, and we are seeking free or even paid experiences that would be exciting for them!

We are staying at POP! Century and have plans to do the scavenger hunt there as well as the free drawing class at AoA resort. These kids LOVE Harry Potter so we will be spending lots of time with their wands in Diagon Alley also.

We have never done sorcerers of the MK and thought that might be a good option? Or if the Agent P scavenger hunt is still going on at Epcot maybe?
Any suggestions for more family fun are welcome! What are your favorite hidden gems at WDW for older kids or the whole family?

Have them do Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom. It's free and gave my teens something to do and collect.

The first time we went to Animal Kingdom we did the Wilderness Explorers booklet. We had a lot of fun getting the badges. Now kiddo was only 5 at the time, so maybe older kids wouldn't find it as much fun? We also did one of the Agent P scavenger hunts in Epcot and it was kind of fun too, and we did one where we got a pressed penny from it so a neat souvenir.

My kids were about that age when they introduced the Wilderness Explorer thing, and they didn't get into it. I think it might be better for the 8 and under crowd. But, if your kids really like animals, they may enjoy it--it's worth a try.

My kids really enjoyed the Perry adventures in Epcot. I found it was a great way for them to explore on their own, in a limited space, while I sat and enjoyed a cold drink. I could see them, and they stayed within the bounds of whatever country. Plus, they had to work together.

Be sure to check out the Universal forum, someone posted a really detailed description of the interactive wand/map stuff that will be very helpful.

Some stuff, you just can't plan for. We were in Epcot, and our oldest--then a teen (maybe 16 or so) got the idea in her head to take a photo of her wearing a hat in every single country. When we got home, I made a photo collage called "Jessica Around the World", with her making silly faces in all the silly hats. Pro tip: no real hats in Japan, so she put on a kimono and a baseball hat. My point is, the kids may get into doing Agent P or finding certain animals or collecting pressed pennies--or they may come up with their own "quest" and have a blast with it.

The Void at DS is amazing. At Epcot, we liked getting passports signed in each country, and collecting pressed pennies.

My teens always like stopping into club cool at Epcot to taste all the different Pops from around the world.
Sorcerers at MK has always been a hit too!
They usually have a contest over finding the most hidden Mickeys.
Funny faces and expressions on the rides that take your photo.
Pin trading can be fun depending on the kid.

Mine have enjoyed:
1. Pressed pennies---the little plastic Mini M&M canisters fit quarters and shiny pennies for this. Stack the penny and then # Quarters needed and repeat.
2. Passport in Epcot.
3. Picking a candy from each country in Epcot to try
4. Trying a snack in each country in Epcot
5. The animal trails in AK
6. Tasting different drinks at the Cool Station

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter