• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic fading?

mitros

<font color=red>I'm not nuts, I just appear to be<
:( I've noticed that there are untold numbers of threads and posts on these boards, but I can't help noticing that there are not all that many on the Just sat thanks forums. Could it be that Disney cast members are starting to lose some of the magic themselves, or is it just that we as a people only want to complain when something is wrong,and not give praise as easily when it is deserved? :confused: Any thoughts?:smooth:

I for one, am just back from the World (first time back since '90) and I thought the Magic was still out in full force. We were the recipients of a couple of Magical Memories (I posted one below). I think some folks may get their expectations raised to unattainable levels (sometimes by boards like this one) and then when their trips don't live up to those expectations, *poof* No magic.

JMHO

Debbie

While the DIS is a very popular and useful information-sharing tool, this forum does not necessarily fully represent everything having to do with the Disney Company. 'Just Say Thanks' is quite far down on the menu, and I'm sure that perusing the Trip Reports board will reveal many 'magical moments' that never get noted on 'JST' simply because people don't usually write multiple posts on the same event.
Venturing that the lack of posts on 'JST' is an indication of anything other than the fact that few people post on 'JST' is a pretty big jump to make, and (as someone who is lucky enough to witness magical moments on at least weekly basis) I can testify that "The Magic" is alive and well.

Saturday morning we checked out of the hotel and went to the Magic Kingdom along with 10,000 other people. This weekend was a busy one at the parks since Friday was Valentine’s Day and Monday was Presidents Day! Our goal was to obtain Peter Pan’s autograph and ride Buzz Lightyear. Rob went to get fast-passes for Buzz and we began to look for Peter. I inquired at City Hall and was told Peter would be in the town square at 10:05, but not the exact location. Town square is big and there were people everywhere. Another cast member told me she’d seen Peter earlier that morning over by the camera center. So we stood on the porch of the Exposition Hall and watched for Peter. There was another cast member standing at the door and I asked her about Peter. She sent a fellow cast member to see what he could find out for us. When he came back, I showered him with questions. “What did you find out?...where will he be?...where should we wait?” He smiled and only gave me vague answers like, “oh he is around here somewhere… I think you’ll be very happy.” I turned around to leave and exclaimed “OH MY GOODNESS!” I was startled to see Peter Pan standing right in front of me. The cast members had sent Peter to find US! Instead of saying something nice like, “I’m so glad to see you, or thank you for coming” I said “We’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Peter replied “Did you look up in the sky?” I blushed and admitted I didn’t. The kids giggled. He posed with kids for photos and signed their autograph books. He was kind and spent a few minutes with the kids. Another bit of magic was added to our trip.

Oh Trena, what a wonderful and beautiful story. I'm so glad you shared it with us!

mitros, I don't think the Just Say Thanks board is quiet because there is no magic, I think it's because a lot of people don't know it exists.

I forget to visit this board, myself, and I know it's here.

I always find lots of wonderful and thoughtful CMs when I'm at WDW. In the parks, driving the busses, piloting the launches and working at the resorts....every trip I find a lot of really great cms and I am almost always a solo traveler.

Of course, I'm always watching for the magic :)

Katholyn

I just found this web site and just started posting. I didn't even know this thread was here. My thanks is 3 yrs old. We went to WDW June of 2000. We had lined up for the parade the required 90 minutes in advance and had a seat on the curb near Cindy's castle. Before long, our rear ends had melted to the curb and everyone was cranky. The CM that was doing crowd control kept things going, though. He started singing the MMC song and had one side of the street do "Donald Duck" and the other "Mickey Mouse". He then began talking to my DD(7 at the time) and DD(3) about Tinkerbell. He got out his walkie-talkie and said, "Tink, I've got Savannah and Carson here who would love for you to wave to them later when you fly out. You would? Great!" He then had my DD(7) come out to the middle of the street and gave her a handful of "pixie dust". He counted down and when he got to one, she threw it in the air and all the lights went out for the parade!! I get all teary eyed and goose bumply just thinking about it!! He made our trip!

Welcome to the DIS 2tinksmom. I'm so glad you found us and I'm <b>truly</b> glad that you shared this story with us. I have goose bumples myself, now.

The best advice anyone ever gave me was to "relax and let the magic find you." Sounds like the magic found you and your family easily.

Katholyn

Awesome advice! Seems like sometimes the less you look for something, the easier it finds you!!

:) My magic moment came two years ago when I was in the Lion King Show at the Animal Kingdon at WDW. My son was there and my then 6 year old granddaughter.
After the show the wagon containing the adult Simba was still in the arena and I alked my son and granddaughter togo stand at the front corner so I could take their picture. The wagon is at least six feet high and Simba is large on top of it.
When they stood at the corner and I raised my camera, Simba turned his head toward me and raised his paw. It startled me but after taking the picture I looked up and said silently "thank you"- and Simba nodded his head at me.
It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of it.
Next month we return to DisneyWorld- the sixth trip for my now eight year old granddaughter. This time she knows that Mickey and Donald are not real but she is just as excited as the time at age 3 when she was so enthralled when Winnie The Pooh came up to her at the Crystal Palace character breakfast. . So am I.
Or the night on the bus after dark when she was asleep and everyone was so tired after a long day in the parks and the riders and the driver all softly began to sing "Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me..."
Yes, the magic lives on.

I forget to visit this board, myself, and I know it's here.

I have to admit this is only my second time here in almost three years :o I need to come by more often. Hopefully I can post something from my upcoming trip :D

My DBF and I went to WDW Sept.2001 .It was a trip that had been planned and paid for way before the 9/11 stuff had started. We didnt know how good of a time we would have to be honest, but we went anyway .MY cousin was a fireman that was lost in the trade center and he was still missing when we left. It was a rough start .On the second day we went to MGM it was there that we met the GREATEST cast member "STEVE"! We were both laughing over thigns that had happened that day while in line for the Tower of Terror... as the line moved we kept giggling and laughing. Steve while staying in complete character stayed straight faced and with no emotion said ... " Perhaps you should see a doctor because we were shaking violently" from that point on everytime we rode he made sure us and everyone around us knew we had been " laughing and shaking violently ". The best part was 6 months later when we returned to WDW he was working the Little Mermaid show and remembered us. He posed for pictures with us we have shown that picture to everyone at work and repeated the story many times. THAT is REAL MAGIC I cant Thank him enough for helping me laugh when I needed it the most .

The "Just Say Thanks" board is what got me coming to this forum in the first place. My sister (who's in WDW as I write this...) turned me on to the sight with a story she read here about a little boy an his stuffed animals, and the CM on the house keeping staff who posed them differently in the boy's room. Every time the boy came back from the parks, his animal's were up to something different- watching TV, having a snack, etc. Apparently, his Mom overheard the boy saying to his animals, "I always knew you were alive...".

That one gets me every time.

Anyway, the first time I went to DW, I was 4. That was 31 years ago, and I still get the same kind of excited feeling when I arrive there. Magic fading? I certainly haven't noticed.

P.S. I'm such a newbie to the forum- how do I put my countdown timer in my signature?

P.S. I'm such a newbie to the forum- how do I put my countdown timer in my signature?

Head on over to the Tech Support board. One of the first threads over there explains how to do it. The directions are very easy to follow. And....Welcome to the DIS :D

In October 2002 trip I noticed a lot of the little things that made the whole trip wonderful. My most magical moment was meeting Alice at 1900 Park Fare, she has been my favorite character since childhood. I felt a little silly waiting in line with all the other kids, but she put me totally at ease. She was thrilled to see my Alice in Wonderland tee shirt and we spent like five or ten minutes talking about things like "not stepping on the momeraths". It made my whole trip.

The Epcot CMs were so friendly and helpful. My boyfriend & I were just checking out the attraction times board and a CM asked if there was anything he could help us with...told us all about Marakesh, which is where we ate that night. The CM on Spaceship Earth told us not to forget to fasten our seatbelts...we totally fell for it & we all got a good laugh. We must have had "Disney rookies" written all over us.

Also, the guests can make Disney magic happen for each other. A couple coming off Winnie the Pooh gave us their unused FASTPASSES as we were about to stand in the 45minute stand-by line. We walked right on.

P.S. I love the Peter Pan story! I saw him in back of Cindy's Castle waiting to on for the show. He was gorgeous! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter