Magic Bands

Tandyc

Disney brings out the kid in me!
I'm new to magic bands. We are staying off site. Are they worth the money? Where do I get them prior to the trip? I can link my tickets, dining ressies, and fp+, right? What should I expect to pay for them? My DH has very large wrists. Will they fit and be comfortable? Sorry for all the questions.

I'm new to magic bands. We are staying off site. Are they worth the money? Where do I get them prior to the trip? I can link my tickets, dining ressies, and fp+, right? What should I expect to pay for them? My DH has very large wrists. Will they fit and be comfortable? Sorry for all the questions.
You can use magic bands for your ticket and Fast Passes, but nothing else if staying off site. You cannot pay for anything with them, as they are linked to a credit card on an on site room reservation.
Denise

You can get them online (shopdisney.com, then search Magic Bands). The Shop Parks smartphone app also has them. Not sure if Disney Stores have them.

As far as if they're worth it ($12.99 minimum each), don't feel required to get them. If you don't mind taking your admission ticket out of your wallet/lanyard/etc, there's not an overwhelming reason to get them. There are a few rides that use proximity sensors to get pictures into your PhotoPass account (Mine Train comes to mind) and a little magic that happens at a couple restaurants (Be Our Guest, maybe Satu'li Canteen) so they can find your table easily, but in most cases, especially for offsite guests, tapping your card is equivalent to tapping a MagicBand. They're a nice to have, but certainly not a requirement.

Remember, the linking you mentioned that takes place is to your My Disney Experience account, not a specific ticket or MagicBand. (And another poster correctly mentioned that since you're offsite, you won't be linking any credit card). Once fastpasses, dining, etc. are linked to your MDE account, you can use a magicband or ticket interchangeably.

If you decide that you want them before your trip, keep an eye on the Disney shopping website and app. Sometimes they are on sale. Sometimes there is free shipping. If you decide that you want them during your trip, many (most?) gift shops in the theme parks and Disney resorts have them.

Personally, I don't think they're worth it. It's a band that goes around your wrist instead of a card that goes in your pocket or around a lanyard. If you think they look cool, or if they will make a nice souvenir, then I say go for it. But if you're like me and have a big family, the price of those bands can add up. $13 x 6 = $78 (plus tax??). We're not doing it.

Some find it cost effective to book a single night on property as described over in the throwaway room thread. For the cost of one night at the campground (usually about $100) you can get magic bands for up to 10 guests, parking for two days, FP+ booking at 60 days out instead of 30, and access to extra magic hours on your checkin and checkout days.

Why would a 2 year old be getting a magic band with our reservation. She's free till 3 so no tickets to park required.

Why would a 2 year old be getting a magic band with our reservation. She's free till 3 so no tickets to park required.

A 2-yr old would not be getting a magic band, it is only members of your party age 3 or older who get a magic band.

A 2-yr old would not be getting a magic band, it is only members of your party age 3 or older who get a magic band.
That's what I thought too. Our party of 4 includes a 2 year old. Says we are getting 4 magic bands.

Some find it cost effective to book a single night on property as described over in the throwaway room thread. For the cost of one night at the campground (usually about $100) you can get magic bands for up to 10 guests, parking for two days, FP+ booking at 60 days out instead of 30, and access to extra magic hours on your checkin and checkout days.
Do I understand correctly that with one day booked at a disney resort you can book dp+ 60 days out for each day you have a ticket or is it only one day like your teddies?

We were off property we only bought them for the kids, it captured video and pics from some rides. We used them for our fast passes. I think ot was worth it. Disney store has them if you have one near by. They have a child and adult sizes.

We were off property we only bought them for the kids, it captured video and pics from some rides. We used them for our fast passes. I think ot was worth it. Disney store has them if you have one near by. They have a child and adult sizes.

Child size Magic Bands? Really? Never heard of it. There's an outer portion you can pull off to make the Magic Band smaller but I don't recall them being sold that way.

We plan to rent DVC from an owner, so I believe we will not receive Magic Bands. If we were to purchase only one could that hold Fast Passes for our party of three? I hadn't even thought of that until I read this thread. Thanks!

We plan to rent DVC from an owner, so I believe we will not receive Magic Bands. If we were to purchase only one could that hold Fast Passes for our party of three? I hadn't even thought of that until I read this thread. Thanks!
Every on site reservation includes magic bands. That includes DVC reservations.

If we were to purchase only one [Magic Band] could that hold Fast Passes for our party of three?

No. If you buy a Magic Band, you enter its information into your My Disney Experience account, and then you assign it to a person in your MDE account.

If you are staying onsite, you customize your Magic Bands specifically for each person. You choose a color for yourself, decide what you want it to say on the inside, and it will be assigned to you in your MDE account. Repeat for each person on the hotel or DVC reservation.

When you make Fastpasses, you make a Fastpass reservation for each person. You can make them for several people at once, but it is for several people. For example, you can make a Fastpass for yourself, spouse and child at one time - but those Fastpasses will be assigned to you, spouse and child. Not three Fastpasses assigned to you. So if you were the only one with a Magic Band, it would not "hold" the Fastpasses for spouse and child.

No, MBs are not required but if you have them (and especially if staying on-property!) they are WAY more convenient than pulling out one's wallet every 100 feet or so! Between PhotoPass, ride photos, food payment, souvenir payment, FP+... oh it is just much easier to wave your "Mickey to Mickey", enter a PIN, and walk away with your stuff! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter