• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Love Bugs

Geri2001

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I am going to Disney World for the first time on May 19-24 then I will be on the disney cruise from the 24-26th. I've heard a little bit about these "Love Bugs" and was wondering how bad they are in May? Are there alot of them?? Did they affect anyone's trip??
Maybe I picked a bad month to go. Also does anyone know if these Love bugs are in nassau and castaway cay as well??
:wave: :earsgirl: :crazy: :earseek:

Love bugs only bother clean shiny cars! They are the least annoying of Florida's insects; they don't buzz or sting or bite and they're not small enough to breath in (like the darn gnats!). They do fly slowly, so sometimes you walk into a few...but they're not creepy at all, you can just brush them off of you. (And I, Hater Of All Things Yucky, can say this with confidence...even my daughter doesn't mind love bugs!) The love bugs aren't as easy to get off of your car, though...I think the best way to protect your car is with some extra-good wax during love-bug season:)

I hate to play devils advocate but I'm from Florida and I hated them then and I like them even less now that I've gotten use to life with out them. Bugs are a part of life in FL unlike here in PA (well for the most part). My daughter freaked everytime one landed on her or near her which if you know anything of love bugs is a hard thing to advoid when they are in season. Over all I don't think it would stop me from going while they are in season if that was the only reason BUT if you are phobic of bugs it would not be the best time to go. Overall they are an annoyance and like Steffi said they definately do more damage to cars then people (they don't bite or sting). So short of a phobia go for it.
PS--We were in the Bahamas in May, and no love bugs. If I remember correctly they are sort of a Florida thing. I could be wrong.

I've never seen the Love bugs. Guess I'm lucky, huh?!! We usually go in the summer months, but last year, I went in January, MAY, and December. Never saw a Love bug, even though May is supposed to be the month for them, right? Could it be because of the fires that were going on around that time? I guess all the smoke could have forced them away?

Unfortunately .... :(

I learned first-hand about the horrors of love bugs! I went mid-May 2001 and was driving from Sanford to Route 95 on some minor highway. I drove into a swarm of them and it was horrible! The bugs were constantly splatting all over my windshield and bumper and side mirrors! :eek: It was so bad I had a very difficult time seeing out my windshield. I had to stop twice and try to scrape them off enough so I could see. When they "splat" into your car, they leave a white smear that does not come off easily. I washed my car a couple of days later but the dead love bug bodies were still stuck all over. When I got back to NJ, I eventually had to have my car professionally cleaned and waxed to get most of the stuff off.

It's pretty bad if you drive into a swarm of them. I am seriously thinking of getting one of those covers that go over your front bumper since I am going again next month. But I had no problems driving around WDW, though. Maybe the bugs are far worse in the more rural/swampy areas.

Oh well! That's what happened to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter