love bugs! Which week would be better?

PookaJean

Mouseketeer
April 17-25th or May 8-16th?

Trying to decide when to go and this was one thing to consider.

May 8-16 because the spring break crowds will be gone.
:earsgirl:

regardless - I was down there in September last year (high love bug season apparently) and they didn't bother us at all. The only place I really saw them was on our balcony at the WL.

Yup I was there in Sept and they were a pain. absolutely everywhere. Don't tell me they are there in May as well.

In college, we had our conference championships (womens' golf) at Lake Buena Vista during the last weekend in April...Every year, the love bugs were all over us!! It's kind of funny though, and I don't believe they bite? So don't let it affect your planning TOO much :)
My fiance and I are going the last week in April-first week in May but probably they won't bother us unless we're on the golf course :)

I was trying to explain those bugs to my husband.

We're coming down from NY in two weeks and I wondered if they would be a nuisance.

I remember being there and having them smashed all over the windshield and car.

He thinks I'm nuts.

Karen

I was there last year at the end of April, and those crazy love bugs were everywhere, so I'm assuming you'll run into them either time you go. Don't let it affect your planning though....they are everywhere but they really don't seem to bother people at all. I don't believe they bite. So enjoy your trip, and enjoy a laugh or two at the crazy bugs that really seem to enjoy each other's company :tongue:

Oh the lovebug. Just another one of the quirks of life here in Florida.

Their scientific name is plecia nearctica, I believe. We call them love bugs because all they seem to do is mate in mid-air during their short life span.

They pop up every year in April and September...there are literally millions of them all over Florida and parts of the Gulf Coast.

They don't bite, so they're an annoyance more than anything else.

But, they can damage the paint on your car. There's something in their little bug bodies -- and no one is quite sure what is -- that can mess up a paint job after they get splattered on your car.

Some advice from a local -- if you're driving during love bug season, hit a car wash every few days.

And here's a fun fact -- the bigger love bug is the female, who is more interested in feeding than mating...so the smaller male is usually pulled along wherever she goes, because if he leaves, some other amorous bug might try to take his place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter