Looks like a rainy Aulani stay. Can you cheer me up?

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
DSis and I leave soon for Hawaii. First 6 nights on Big Island then 5 nights at Aulani. It looks like the entire trip will be rainy. It is hard for me to believe because I have visited Hawaii lots of times and never had more than a few sun showers.
I wouldn't be so depressed except that this will probably be DSis's one and only chance to do Hawaii. Who has had rainy weather and can give me some advice on how to make the best of this? I am making myself sick with disappointment for my DSis. I so wanted her to experience the paradise that I have in Hawaii.
P.S. This is my first stay at Aulani. We have already purchased Pearl Harbor tickets and Polynesian Culture Center tickets.

If you have a car, you can try to escape the rain by driving to the other side of the island. We've usually had luck with that.

Actually Aulani is on the dry side of the island... so when you see rain in the forcast... it does not necessarily mean it will be raining at Aulani.

Plus its Hawaii.... when it rains just wait 5 minutes and the weather will change! Seriously when we were there in December there was rain in the forcast for a lot of the days.... a rain cloud would pass over and then the sun would come shining through.

We got a great picture on just such a day when we hiked to the top of Diamondhead in the morning, the weather was warm but light sprinkles, perfect for hiking.... and we even got an amazing rainbow in our picture up at the top:

After our hike the sun broke through the clouds cleared and the rest of the day was sunny and warm.

One of my best trips to Maui was in February and it rained for 8 out of 10 days :lovestruc. I'm not talking a shower here and there, but lots and lots of wonderful, warm rain. The ocean was clear and we rented wet suits and snorkeled and saw all sorts of wonderful creatures.

The rain didn't hinder our fun one bit :cool1:. We did not have to put on any sunscreen, either ;).

I love the rain there, it's not like the rain in other parts of the United States. And it probably won't always be raining if rain is in the forecast, so I think you won't have to worry about what to do. Aulani has nice pools and hot tubs and the lazy river and the slides, plus it's just lovely to walk around. You already have your two excursions there, so you will be plenty busy!

Thanks for your replies. You all are making me feel so much better. Time to dump the doom. I told DSis that I was feeling sad about the weather and her response was, "I am not going to be wearing a parka or packing a shovel. It'll be fine." As you can tell, she is a lot more sensible than I. Note: Our projected wind chill temps here on Monday morning will be -35° to -50°F. Our winter has been absolutely awful. Guess that should give me some perspective also.

DSis and I leave soon for Hawaii. First 6 nights on Big Island then 5 nights at Aulani. It looks like the entire trip will be rainy. It is hard for me to believe because I have visited Hawaii lots of times and never had more than a few sun showers.
I wouldn't be so depressed except that this will probably be DSis's one and only chance to do Hawaii. Who has had rainy weather and can give me some advice on how to make the best of this? I am making myself sick with disappointment for my DSis. I so wanted her to experience the paradise that I have in Hawaii.
P.S. This is my first stay at Aulani. We have already purchased Pearl Harbor tickets and Polynesian Culture Center tickets.

We are going to be there 2/2 - 2/9, and the weather looks HORRIBLE! When I looked at the extended forecast it looked like we had a few days with high winds (35 mph with gusts to 45 mph). Oh well, I guess I can't control it and we're not going to reschedule!

Here's to making the most of it!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

We are going to be there 2/2 - 2/9, and the weather looks HORRIBLE! When I looked at the extended forecast it looked like we had a few days with high winds (35 mph with gusts to 45 mph). Oh well, I guess I can't control it and we're not going to reschedule! Here's to making the most of it!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Don't freak out yet! We arrive on the 6th (leave the 15th) so I've been stalking multiple forecasts. It's changing daily! I will say on our last trip it rained (hard) a couple days and it was fine! Kids played in the clubs and then the pool when it wasn't raining too bad, they did the indoor menehune game, etc. when the kids were in the clubs we enjoyed the bar (outdoor but covered). Also keep in mind that it may say 70% chance if rain but an hour later it could pass:) I've seen that many times on the island!

We just returned. Rain was forecast nearly every day....but as others have said, the LeeWard side is the drier side. It could be raining over the mountains....but the resort would be sunny. Or it would sprinkle for five minutes, and then the sun would come out. We did experience an extremely rare violent thunderstorm for that side of the island one night....even the cast members were surprised....and were "wowing" about the lightening.

Pack a rain slicker or your disney poncho. I would advise you to not go trail hiking after a heavy rain....we had quite the adventure on our hike to Ka'ena Point from the Leeward shore trail.

The resort is so awesome and the cast members are wonderful. And the rooms still look brandy new to me. We opted for an island view one bedroom this time....the room was bigger than the ocean view we had last time, as the deck/walls were angled to see the ocean. We did have a nice view of the starlight hui and the movie.

Enjoy not having to shovel snow!

A raining stay at Aulani is better than sunny days at work. They are plenty of activites for both adults and children to do while at Aulani that don't necessarily require to be out by the pool (as nice as the pool is). I don't think or better yet I hope your entire stay is not rained out but if it is I am sure that the cast members at Aulani could suggest alternatives.

Don't freak out yet! We arrive on the 6th (leave the 15th) so I've been stalking multiple forecasts. It's changing daily!

I will say on our last trip it rained (hard) a couple days and it was fine! Kids played in the clubs when it wasn't raining too bad, they did the indoor menehune game, etc. when the kids were in the clubs we enjoyed the bar (outdoor but covered).

Also keep in mind that it may say 70% chance if rain but an hour later it could pass:) I've seen that many times on the island!

Awesome, we'll overlap each other a little bit! Maybe I can pawn my left over groceries on you :) I felt bad about the amount of food we left behind last time! I think some folks thought I was nuts coming up to them in the halls asking if they wanted cereal and capri suns :)

Awesome, we'll overlap each other a little bit! Maybe I can pawn my left over groceries on you :) I felt bad about the amount of food we left behind last time! I think some folks thought I was nuts coming up to them in the halls asking if they wanted cereal and capri suns :)

Haha! Too funny.

We will take whatever you want to pawn!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter