Lie Flat/Business Class Airline Recommendations?

amberwc

Mouseketeer
Planning for our first ABD in June of 2018 (Danube River). We have points that can be transferred to almost any airline (american express). My husband is a bigger guy 6' 250 lbs with a 20" neck - if that gives you an indication. We will be travelling with our 2 kids both under 10.

I really wish I could find a good side-by-side comparison tool, especially regarding seat size.

So which airline do you regular international flyers recommend, and why?

It is kind of hard to make the recommendation because even between airline it actually depends on which plane you get. While your kids are under 10 are they good by themselves for take off and landing? The reason I ask is because most of these lay flat pod things have been updated so that each chair is individually contained and so you may not be able to reach the kids during those times. The ones we had on Delta were super comfortable for me and although fiance said he felt claustrophobic looking into his pod he had room just not like he would in a normal bed. The one we were on also had 1 then an isle 2 with a half wall between the 2 and then isle and another. So you could either get 2 and 2 or an entire row.

It is kind of hard to make the recommendation because even between airline it actually depends on which plane you get. While your kids are under 10 are they good by themselves for take off and landing? The reason I ask is because most of these lay flat pod things have been updated so that each chair is individually contained and so you may not be able to reach the kids during those times. The ones we had on Delta were super comfortable for me and although fiance said he felt claustrophobic looking into his pod he had room just not like he would in a normal bed. The one we were on also had 1 then an isle 2 with a half wall between the 2 and then isle and another. So you could either get 2 and 2 or an entire row.
Our kids are very comfortable flying.
Good to know about him feeling claustrophobic!

Our kids are very comfortable flying.
Good to know about him feeling claustrophobic!

He was fine sitting up and watching t.v. and reading but he is picky when it comes to space and laying flat. I'd say they were about the size of a twin bed when flat. He's the same height as your husband but a little bigger.

We splurged for a Delta first class upgrade on our Peru ABD trip. I'm 6'2" and 270 and I'll add I have a size 13 foot. The Delta lay flat pod we had I think would have been great for someone 6', I was just a little cramped when laying out flat. Width wise I had plenty of room to roll around trying to find my most comfortable option. I did note my foot size as I think that foot well was sized for a max foot of about 12", if I laid out flat on my back with my feet sticking straight up I was rubbing my head, feet and toes against something. Curled up a bit on my side and it was no problem. Hope this helps for at least one airline seat.

I am short so I have never had an issue with length, but I am a sideways sleeper, and while my husband, 5' 11" and much more leg then torso was comfortable, I could not find the right spot to sleep. I am 5'1" We flew us air on us air, their new lie flat pods back in 2013.

We are doing Lufthansa business class in sept for adult only Germany (Oktoberfest here we come!) and the foot area on the lie flat beds has a partion in the middle and seems really tiny, and your feet kind of are angled towards the other person, so you can play footsie all night long. (Only kidding about playing footsie.) Hubby thinks it might be a bit too narrow, and I doubt I will reach that far so I am not worried, but two tall people sharing the section could feel a bit tight. (Footsie!) I am hoping I can stretch my legs or else I won't sleep. I am a very high strung person and I get restless legs that only relax when I can move a bit.

We've flown AirCanada business class. They have the lay flat pods. We've done it when ds was 9, and dds were 12, 15, 15. He was directly across the aisle from me and the girls scattered behind. We'll be flying them again next week.

None of us is that big though, so I can't comment on the fit, per se.

We are doing air France business class for our Rhine cruise next week. Our family of 4 are traveling myself, dh 48, dd 21, ds18.seats are lie flat and are staggered in configuration . It's in pods. My husband is 6'1" and it will really be comfortable for him... and for the rest of us.We got a good deal when we booked 11 months prior to our departure . We got round trip, lax to Basel , Zurich to lax for 2250pp usd saved us at least 1ooo usd pp. so for those traveling next year and you are sure of you trip , book way in advance.

For our September Greece trip I booked ours through Disney travel, with British Airways. Price is very reasonable,
$2070 pp. Washington DC to Athens RT. They are lie flat, but not very wide seats. I would suggest talking to Disney
Travel for different options.

I just flew back from Scotland on BA business class. I am 5 feet tall and was not very comfortable. I've flown their first class seats a few times and they were much better. My suggestion would be check any flights you are looking at in www.seatguru.com The seats are mapped out by type of plane, airline, route and configuration. They detail the type of seat, width, pitch and even have information on specific rows and seats. I just booked our flights using points for our ABD trip to China next year. I'm flying Singapore Suites and this is why. Here is an article from The Points Guy discussing the best business class flights to Europe and he goes into detail about which airlines and which specific aircraft.

singaporesuites.jpg

I just flew back from Scotland on BA business class.

I just flew back from Edinburgh on Delta in the new Delta One seat and it was pretty comfy width wise. I am short so while most other people could reach the foot rest space, I had to maneuver the seat forward (and looked pretty slouchy) to have my legs propped up. That said, I was able to nap for 15 min so that's pretty good for me. I do agree with PP that business/first often depends on the plane type so I've started to take that into consideration when booking, as well.

@calypso726- I left EDI on the 1055 flight (today)-were we in the airport at the same time? That would be too weird!

Wellp, I suppose I should be glad to say whether or not I'm too tall for lie-down Business Class will never be an issue for me! :)

Sayhello

I have flown both Delta and American business class to Europe. I didn't see any significant difference between the comfort levels of the two lie flat seats, although I think the AA plane had slightly (and we're talking an inch or two here) more room than the Delta plane did in the foot area.

The service on both was great, though. I would recommend either.

I just flew back from Edinburgh on Delta in the new Delta One seat and it was pretty comfy width wise. I am short so while most other people could reach the foot rest space, I had to maneuver the seat forward (and looked pretty slouchy) to have my legs propped up. That said, I was able to nap for 15 min so that's pretty good for me. I do agree with PP that business/first often depends on the plane type so I've started to take that into consideration when booking, as well.

@calypso726- I left EDI on the 1055 flight (today)-were we in the airport at the same time? That would be too weird!

I was looking at Delta One and it looks comfy. Glad to know it is. OMG that would be too funny! I flew into EDI last Friday and then flew out of Inverness on Tuesday. Decided to make a long weekend trip and see the fairy pools and visit Skye again. I love Scotland and will happily go back again and again.

I just flew back from Scotland on BA business class. I am 5 feet tall and was not very comfortable. I've flown their first class seats a few times and they were much better. My suggestion would be check any flights you are looking at in www.seatguru.com The seats are mapped out by type of plane, airline, route and configuration. They detail the type of seat, width, pitch and even have information on specific rows and seats. I just booked our flights using points for our ABD trip to China next year. I'm flying Singapore Suites and this is why. Here is an article from The Points Guy discussing the best business class flights to Europe and he goes into detail about which airlines and which specific aircraft.

View attachment 249365
Avoid BA at all costs. Avoid Malaysia Airlines

Avoid BA at all costs. Avoid Malaysia Airlines

Haven't flown Malaysia. While i hate the insane taxes and fees on BA the availability for first is usually pretty good and the first class seats were perfect and the service is always good. The food has always been palatable. My business class flight over wasn't too bad. The food was wretched though. It was the flight back (different plane type) that was not very comfortable. We were only slumming it in business class because it was more of a spur of the moment trip so when I went to book, all award seats in first were gone.

Haven't flown Malaysia. While i hate the insane taxes and fees on BA the availability for first is usually pretty good and the first class seats were perfect and the service is always good. The food has always been palatable. My business class flight over wasn't too bad. The food was wretched though. It was the flight back (different plane type) that was not very comfortable. We were only slumming it in business class because it was more of a spur of the moment trip so when I went to book, all award seats in first were gone.
I have not flown ba But seen too many dirty planes by them, complaints on another forum , and a video showed how weird the layout is

No complaints from my recent flights in Delta One. One on the A330, one on the 777 and one on the 767. The A330 was the nicest and best layout. The 767 had the most comfortable seats and most spacious pods. The 777 was still good but i didn't like my feet point towards the isle at an angle and not straight ahead (is that weird??). A lot of people dog on the 767 because it's usually an old configuration with older style pods but I liked having the table type setup on the side for storage and privacy. Hubby is 6'5" and said that he preferred the 767 too. The 777 wasn't quite long enough for him but he still slept fine.

The extra money, or points, is well worth it on a trip like that. Plus the snacks! warm chocolate chip cookies mid flight? Yes please.

View attachment 249365

That suite is what I'm hoping for one day You must do a trip report and tell us how it is. I've read the points guy article (as well as others), but hearing about it from someone I feel like I know would be great!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter