Let the Wookiee Win: An August Solo Adventure! *Updated 11/17*

Hello from the depths of late semester-land! I am struggling to keep this TR going, but fear not! I shall not give up! :thumbsup2 This semester has been the longest since I started my program nearly 2 years ago... 15 whole weeks! My fall and spring semesters are typically 10 weeks and my summer semesters 7 or 8 weeks, so this semester feels like an eternity.

That is long if you're used to 10 weeks. Good luck on projects, finals, etc. You're almost there!

I found that the staff here was amazing to me as a solo guest but there were definitely fellow guests who insisted on staring. :confused3 Not to worry, I had my trusty copy of Revenge of the Sith to keep me company :thumbsup2

Too bad you didn't have a light saber (a real one!) to whip out when they stare. That'd get them in line...

I'm glad you enjoyed your 50s PT meal as a solo diner, it does seem like the type of place where it could get a bit awkward. As a regular solo diner myself, I still feel people staring is so bizarre.

I got caught up, but forgot to reply! I loved 50s Prime Time last time I went as a kid. The waiters really do make it fun! Cute selfie with him!

See the solo rider behind me? I kept trying to engage him in conversation throughout the queue but also... eventually just let it go, as he wasn't feeling my friendliness. :confused3 He does look like he was enjoying himself on the ride at least, bless him.
Haha-I was on Guardians of the Galaxy as a solo rider a couple weeks ago and there was an older man behind me who started to engage me in conversation. To the point that we ended up switching from solo riders to a party of 2 when the CM was placing us into the spots! It was good, as I had to help him and the guy sitting next to him get the older man's seatbelt buckled! But he loved the ride and was pretty adorable!

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie and headed back outside to grab a peach bubble tea from Joy of Tea. I had this at the Flower and Garden festival a couple years ago and remembered really liking it. This did not disappoint!
Hmm, I may need to try that in March! I like peach and like boba, so should give the tea a try!

I found that the staff here was amazing to me as a solo guest but there were definitely fellow guests who insisted on staring. :confused3 Not to worry, I had my trusty copy of Revenge of the Sith to keep me company :thumbsup2
They were just jealous that you were able to have a good time on your own! I got to Disneyland all the time solo and just started to brush it off if someone looks weird when I'm boarding a ride by myself or eating alone!

Good luck on projects, finals, etc. You're almost there!
Thank you! Yep... I just gotta keep telling myself that! :laughing:

Too bad you didn't have a light saber (a real one!) to whip out when they stare. That'd get them in line...
I tried... but Delta wouldn't let me check it! :confused: :laughing:

What a nice afternoon at DHS! I'm glad you had a great meal!
It really was a great afternoon at DHS :goodvibes The only thing that would have made it better... a ride on GMR :scratchin

I'm glad you enjoyed your 50s PT meal as a solo diner, it does seem like the type of place where it could get a bit awkward. As a regular solo diner myself, I still feel people staring is so bizarre.
Yes, it did seem a bit like I was just out there on display to be gawked at :laughing: But I figured it was better to experience this place solo with stares than not at all!

I got caught up, but forgot to reply! I loved 50s Prime Time last time I went as a kid. The waiters really do make it fun!
They really do make it so much fun!

Cute selfie with him!
Thank you! :goodvibes

Haha-I was on Guardians of the Galaxy as a solo rider a couple weeks ago and there was an older man behind me who started to engage me in conversation. To the point that we ended up switching from solo riders to a party of 2 when the CM was placing us into the spots! It was good, as I had to help him and the guy sitting next to him get the older man's seatbelt buckled! But he loved the ride and was pretty adorable!
I love this story! Isn't it great when you can make fast friends with fellow riders? :goodvibes

Hmm, I may need to try that in March! I like peach and like boba, so should give the tea a try!
Yes, you must! It's so yummy ::yes::

They were just jealous that you were able to have a good time on your own!
You're SO right!

I got to Disneyland all the time solo and just started to brush it off if someone looks weird when I'm boarding a ride by myself or eating alone!
It's better to have experienced things with stares than to just avoid doing things you know you'd love because you're self-conscious, right?! And when it really comes down to it... who cares anyway?! :thumbsup2

I am struggling to keep this TR going, but fear not! I shall not give up!

Struggling to keep going is okay. Taking your time is okay. Taking a break is okay.

Giving up is not okay.

this semester feels like an eternity.

:hug:

I was doing what I do best... wandering aimlessly around World Showcase, beverage in hand. :cloud9:

:goodvibes Isnt' that just the best thing ever???? Can't wait to do that next week.

I had a little time before my 3:30 ADR so I briefly hit up One Man's Dream, but not before seeing these guys...

disney-august-2017-189-jpg.281765

You must've been ducked behind a potted plant or something, huh?
Lucky they didn't nab you.

And ooooooh, what's this little teaser?!

disney-august-2017-190-jpg.281766

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

So... Not sure.... are you excited about it?

:rolleyes1

:laughing:

And for anyone who remembers... if I were to have children, Marceline would be my daughter's name... :rolleyes1

Actually... that's a really pretty name for a girl.
Never thought of that!

On my way back up to the front of the park, I wandered upon this!

disney-august-2017-194-jpg.281771

Good. Good. Hiding behind a crowd. Smart.

And... made it! :thumbsup2

disney-august-2017-197-jpg.281774

Woot!

I ordered a PBJ shake which was unbelievably delicious

That thing is ridiculously good, isn't it?

and fried chicken with onion rings, per a demand - I mean polite suggestion - from @pkondz.

::yes::

And??? AND????????
What did you think????

As you can see, I also got corn, but that part wasn't overly memorable apparently :laughing:

Corn, schmorn. What did you think of the chicken and rings???

Before leaving, I got this fun shot with Carmelo. As you can see, he was loads of fun and really made this experience wonderful for me.

I found that the staff here was amazing to me as a solo guest but there were definitely fellow guests who insisted on staring. :confused3

What? Really? That's never happened to me. Why would they....

Oh. Sure.
Pretty girl.
Yeah, I guess I would've stared too.

Not to worry, I had my trusty copy of Revenge of the Sith to keep me company :thumbsup2

I do the same. Nothing better than having a good book to read when dining solo.

At 4:30 I left and walked into Indiana Jones

I haven't seen that in over 25 years.

I'm obsessed with "Tim" in the beginning and love watching the guests who don't yet understand his role ;)

See previous comment. I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Playing catch up on the DIS this week so I just binge read yours from the beginning! Really enjoying your TR and all your ride photos. :rotfl: I really hope we can coordinate a meet up in January!

Struggling to keep going is okay. Taking your time is okay. Taking a break is okay.

Giving up is not okay.
You got that right! :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Isnt' that just the best thing ever???? Can't wait to do that next week.
YES! It really is. I'm so excited for you that your trip is nearly here!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

So... Not sure.... are you excited about it?
Nope, not at all... :rolleyes1 :laughing:

Actually... that's a really pretty name for a girl.
Never thought of that!
Right?!

Good. Good. Hiding behind a crowd. Smart.
I'm no dummy! At least when it comes to avoiding those guys... ;)

That thing is ridiculously good, isn't it?
YES!!! ::yes:: I love a good PBJ, but in shake form!? YES, PLEASE!

And??? AND????????
What did you think????
You'd never steer me wrong!

What did you think of the chicken and rings???
Delish! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

What? Really? That's never happened to me. Why would they....

Oh. Sure.
Pretty girl.
Yeah, I guess I would've stared too.
Awww, shucks :hug:

I do the same. Nothing better than having a good book to read when dining solo.
Wise minds...

I haven't seen that in over 25 years.
What?!

See previous comment. I literally have no idea what you are talking about.
:laughing: I'd be happy to tell you all about it... unless you plan on hitting it up next week, and then you deserve to see the surprise for yourself!

Playing catch up on the DIS this week so I just binge read yours from the beginning! Really enjoying your TR and all your ride photos.
Thank you! The ride photos are so hilarious :laughing:

I really hope we can coordinate a meet up in January!
Yes! I'm planning on it! I don't know yet where we'll be and when... trying so hard to just go with the flow since this trip will be a VERY different one for me as I'm a planner, but my hope is to break away from the fam to get a meet in! :thumbsup2

That's my grandmother's name.
No way! That's amazing!!! Thanks for telling me :goodvibes

QUOTE="Tracy161, post: 58365860, member: 112071"]
disney-august-2017-159-jpg.278496

Yup... school bread. I've always loved this but I think I'll try something else next time, this wasn't quite as good as I remember but maybe I just had an off day as it was super dry.
[/QUOTE]

Ooh haven't had one of these in a while, but I do admit, yours looks kinda...speckled? Not sure if that's the way it normally looks!

disney-august-2017-165-jpg.278508

Not a bad view, is it? :cloud9:

No, not bad at all. :cloud9:

With bubble tea in hand, I did some of what I love best in this world: wander aimlessly through World Showcase :goodvibes

disney-august-2017-164-jpg.278507

Sigh, just my favorite thing to do :cloud9::cloud9:

To wrap this update, here's a magic shot I kinda love! I do love me some Tink!

_epcot-jpg.278502

I love this!!!!

disney-august-2017-190-jpg.281766

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Eeek, neither can I. Is it 2019 yet?

And for anyone who remembers... if I were to have children, Marceline would be my daughter's name... :rolleyes1

That is a PERFECT name!!!

The fabulous Carmelo was my server and he truly was FABULOUS. I ordered a PBJ shake which was unbelievably delicious, and fried chicken with onion rings, per a demand - I mean polite suggestion - from @pkondz. As you can see, I also got corn, but that part wasn't overly memorable apparently :laughing:

disney-august-2017-200-jpg.281776

YUM YUM YUM. Trying to get an ADR here for December but I can't find one!

disney-august-2017-202-jpg.281778

That's so cool! The CMs, not the staring strangers. It sounds like a great lunch!

You got that right! :thumbsup2

Glad you agree. I was going to give up, otherwise.

:)

YES! It really is. I'm so excited for you that your trip is nearly here!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

6 more days!!!!

I'm no dummy! At least when it comes to avoiding those guys... ;)

YES!!! ::yes:: I love a good PBJ, but in shake form!? YES, PLEASE!

Drool worthy.

You'd never steer me wrong!

Gooood!

Wise minds...

... read books while they dine.

"I'll go see it..." <Last showing... 45 minutes ago.>
"This time I'm early!..." <next showing... in 2 hours. Right in the middle of your Beaches & Cream ADR.>

:laughing: I'd be happy to tell you all about it... unless you plan on hitting it up next week, and then you deserve to see the surprise for yourself!

I'll pass for now. There's a chance I'll see it.
Probably not, though, the way my luck's been going.

Haha, Tim in the beginning of IA, almost the best part!!
Stupid people who stare :rolleyes: You should ask them if they want you to join them, then pull a chair up to their family while they're eating and just don't stop talking. I admit though when I consider doing a solo trip the TS eating makes me stop and think. I LOVE eating with no kids (or husband :rolleyes1) around and would love to sit and read, but I may feel too self-conscious and shove my whole meal in my mouth at once just to finish fast and be able to leave. Now THAT would be something to stare at!

Ooh haven't had one of these in a while, but I do admit, yours looks kinda...speckled? Not sure if that's the way it normally looks!
Yes, I agree! Just an off day I'm sure, but... wasted room in my stomach for other things! :laughing:

Sigh, just my favorite thing to do :cloud9::cloud9:
Wish I was doing that right now :rolleyes:

I love this!!!!
Thank you! I love me a good magic shot :thumbsup2

Eeek, neither can I. Is it 2019 yet?
Right?!

That is a PERFECT name!!!
Yep, not only is it beautiful but would pay homage to one of my favorite guys :goodvibes

YUM YUM YUM. Trying to get an ADR here for December but I can't find one!
Oh, no! Hope something opens up. I really love this place!

That's so cool! The CMs, not the staring strangers. It sounds like a great lunch!
:laughing: Yes, it really was!

Glad you agree. I was going to give up, otherwise.
No! pkondz must never give up!

6 more days!!!!
WOOOOO!!!!!!

... read books while they dine.
Exactly. ::yes::

"I'll go see it..." <Last showing... 45 minutes ago.>
"This time I'm early!..." <next showing... in 2 hours. Right in the middle of your Beaches & Cream ADR.>
Yeah... this explains me with Fantasmic!

I'll pass for now. There's a chance I'll see it.
Probably not, though, the way my luck's been going.
Mum's the word!

Haha, Tim in the beginning of IA, almost the best part!!
Right?! I love that part!

Stupid people who stare :rolleyes: You should ask them if they want you to join them, then pull a chair up to their family while they're eating and just don't stop talking.
Excellent idea! I'll keep this in mind for next time ;)

I admit though when I consider doing a solo trip the TS eating makes me stop and think. I LOVE eating with no kids (or husband :rolleyes1) around and would love to sit and read, but I may feel too self-conscious and shove my whole meal in my mouth at once just to finish fast and be able to leave. Now THAT would be something to stare at!
I sometimes feel self-conscious too but usually I just tell myself that it's better to have experienced the TS place and feel slightly awkward than not experience it at all :laughing:

so this semester feels like an eternity.
Ugh! You will be so ready for a break!

When last we left off, I was doing what I do best... wandering aimlessly around World Showcase, beverage in hand.
One of my all time favourite things to do too! :)

On my way back up to the front of the park, I wandered upon this!
Love March of the First Order.

The fabulous Carmelo was my server and he truly was FABULOUS. I ordered a PBJ shake which was unbelievably delicious, and fried chicken with onion rings, per a demand
That is a serious amount of food! How much of a dent did you manage to make in it?

I found the same thing.....CMs were amazing but there were definitely some guests who just did not get the solo traveller thing. Their loss IMO, they just don't understand the sheer awesomeness of solo travel. Plus they are probably jealous we get to do whatever we want, whenever we feel like it. :laughing:

At 4:30 I left and walked into Indiana Jones which was scheduled to start at 4:45. It was a great show, I really do enjoy seeing this every couple trips. I'm obsessed with "Tim" in the beginning and love watching the guests who don't yet understand his role ;)
I have never seen Indiana Jones so must put in on the list for my next trip which will (hopefully) be next August before Jack goes to university.

Ugh! You will be so ready for a break!
I sure will be! ::yes::

One of my all time favourite things to do too! :)
I somehow knew you'd approve :rolleyes1 ;)

That is a serious amount of food! How much of a dent did you manage to make in it?
I would have put a much bigger one in had it not been for that amazing PBJ milkshake... that thing filled me up!

I found the same thing.....CMs were amazing but there were definitely some guests who just did not get the solo traveller thing. Their loss IMO, they just don't understand the sheer awesomeness of solo travel. Plus they are probably jealous we get to do whatever we want, whenever we feel like it. :laughing:
Yes! I agree. Some people just don't understand... or they're just incredibly jealous ::yes::

I have never seen Indiana Jones so must put in on the list for my next trip which will (hopefully) be next August before Jack goes to university.
It really is a cool show, not an every trip show necessarily, but I do really enjoy it. Especially the first few parts. :thumbsup2

Finally had a chance to come back here and read.

Animal Kingdom night:

Sounds like you maneuvered the weather that night beautifully!

Might as well be in attraction queues while the rain pours down.

WOW!!! Your picture of the floating mountain with sunset colors is just spectacular!!!

Loved your descriptions of Navi River Journey and Flights of Passage. Having just experienced both for the first time, I agree with your descriptions. We did not do the stand-by queues for either ride, I'm glad to hear there is a lot to see while waiting.

That is awesome that you made friends in the FoP line- It would be cool to pass the time with Universal team members.

It sounds like a fabulous night all-around!!!

EPCOT:

Sounds like a great start to your morning with Soarin', Living with the Land, Figment and Frozen with a short wait!

I love your pictures in Living with the Land. My pictures in the first part never come out. That is funny that you saw someone you knew IRL.

I liked the Frozen queue line- 30 minutes is about the perfect amount there.

Your Mexico pictures are awesome!!! I also think of it as El Rio de Tiempo. I miss that version. The ducks don't do it for me, amigo!

In the trips we took BC (Before Children), we always ate at San Angel. The food was decent and we loved the atmosphere. We haven't been on family trips- Nate was a finicky eater for a long time so we didn't bother. Now La Hacienda is our new darling Mexican joint.

My first (and only)(and long-anticipated) Schoolbread was dry, too, and I haven't bothered to try it again.

Wandering aimlessly and sipping on bubble tee sounds amazing to me!

:goodvibes

Nice chill time at Hollywood Studios!

Sounds like your meal was a lot of fun. I have done a few solo dining stints at Disney, and the CMs are always attentive to me.

It has been a while since I dined at 50's prime time, but I still remember how good that friend chicken is!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!