Kualoa Ranch

chimommy

Mouseketeer
Hello-

Planning to do a tour at Kualoa Ranch on our vacation to Oahu. Based on reviews, Im picking from the Premier Hollywood Movie site tour or Jungle Jeep Expedition. Did anyone go on either? Looking for some opinions on the tour. The Premier Hollywood tour seems very long and on description says the min age is 7 (we will have a 6yr old), however it will let me book for younger children? Does anyone know if you can stop for pictures on the Jungle Jeep tour? I think a 90min tour might be better for my kids... 2hr 45mins seems very long? However, maybe it will be so entertaining they won't notice??? We thought about doing a UTV tour, but I think Id rather take I the scenery than worry about driving? Thanks for you input!

We did the Premier tour last may while we are at aulani. It didn’t seem that long. We stopped at a lot of movie sites and it was fun. I got to take lots of pictures. I can’t tell you about the Jeep tour but I can’t believe they wouldn’t stop for pictures. As for the age, we had four adults so it’s hard to say if they are that strict. I’d suggest you call before you make a reservation online. We were in a van with a few other people so if a child gets antsy and annoying that might be the reason for the age restriction.

Hello-

Planning to do a tour at Kualoa Ranch on our vacation to Oahu. Based on reviews, Im picking from the Premier Hollywood Movie site tour or Jungle Jeep Expedition. Did anyone go on either? Looking for some opinions on the tour. The Premier Hollywood tour seems very long and on description says the min age is 7 (we will have a 6yr old), however it will let me book for younger children? Does anyone know if you can stop for pictures on the Jungle Jeep tour? I think a 90min tour might be better for my kids... 2hr 45mins seems very long? However, maybe it will be so entertaining they won't notice??? We thought about doing a UTV tour, but I think Id rather take I the scenery than worry about driving? Thanks for you input!

I did the Premier movie tour a couple of days ago and it was great. I didn’t feel it was too long because we were able to access parts of the ranch that I don’t think other tours did. There is a restroom stop halfway through the tour. We were able to see and get out and take pictures of a lot of the sites but you would have to ask customer service whether the tours you’re interested in have the same type of access. The tour didn’t feel too long and there were a couple of kids on the tour who really seemed to enjoy it.

Our family loved the premiere movie tour. It was amazing to walk around the movie sets of movies we love. My kids are 9, 11, and 13, and they never got bored. I think the only stop the Jeep tour makes is at the log. They also gave us snacks and water on the tour. We were there last June.

We have done the catamaran ride, the regular movie sites, and the horseback tours. My favourite was the catamaran. The horseback was ok for us since we have never ridden a horse before but otherwise likely not great. The movie sites was fine but not that mind blowing to be honest. I would avoid the fish pond and the beach. The catamaran drives a boat through the fish pond and also boards on the hidden beach and neither really seems worth it when you can just do the catamaran

We have done the catamaran ride, the regular movie sites, and the horseback tours. My favourite was the catamaran. The horseback was ok for us since we have never ridden a horse before but otherwise likely not great. The movie sites was fine but not that mind blowing to be honest. I would avoid the fish pond and the beach. The catamaran drives a boat through the fish pond and also boards on the hidden beach and neither really seems worth it when you can just do the catamaran
Agree on the horseback tour. I had never ridden a horse before so it was ok for me but my daughter who was 14 at the time was not impressed. It went really slow.

The horseback tour is for children ages 10+. So unfortunately that wouldn't work out for the OP's 6 year old :( I've heard great reviews of the catamaran excursion :)

Agree on the horseback tour. I had never ridden a horse before so it was ok for me but my daughter who was 14 at the time was not impressed. It went really slow.

My 16 yo daughter and I did the 2 hour horseback tour and loved it. It was very relaxing to go through those beautiful canyons on horseback. We encountered a couple of groups of the ATVs while riding and the noise from them can ruin the beauty and serenity of the area.

My 16 yo daughter and I did the 2 hour horseback tour and loved it. It was very relaxing to go through those beautiful canyons on horseback. We encountered a couple of groups of the ATVs while riding and the noise from them can ruin the beauty and serenity of the area.
Yes, it was good for me but I thought most people would find it way to slow if they are use to riding a horse. For me, it was perfect. Our friends went last year and they have ridden horses before and weren't impressed and I had recommended it to them, so that is why I said, some may find it to slow. As long as you know it is a slow moving trail ride, I think you would love it. (I know the poster's child is only 6 but for anyone else)

I did the Premier Movie Tour and among the stops, we visited the sets of Jurassic World and got to go inside. As a JP junkie, I was THRILLED. There was also some regular Jurassic Park, Skull Island, Jumanji areas.. it was a great tour and the sights were spectacular of course.

Yes, it was good for me but I thought most people would find it way to slow if they are use to riding a horse. For me, it was perfect. Our friends went last year and they have ridden horses before and weren't impressed and I had recommended it to them, so that is why I said, some may find it to slow. As long as you know it is a slow moving trail ride, I think you would love it. (I know the poster's child is only 6 but for anyone else)

I wonder where these people ride horses. Granted, I don't do it often but have gone on trail rides in several different states, Iowa, South Dakota, Colorado and all of the trail rides have been at a walking pace. I never expected anything different. I can see how it would be a dangerous liability to do more then a walk for inexperienced riders. It's a shame that your friends where disappointed and it is good that you pointed out that it is a walking trail ride. I never would have thought to even mention it since I assumed that is how most trail rides are.

We took the Jungle tour in May last year and can highly recommend. Our boys (7 and 9 at the time) are Jurassic World crazy and although you can’t get out, the transport goes right into the Indominous Rex pen and pauses long enough to look in awe and take photos. You also get to see one other Jurassic location as well as a scene from Jumanji and Kong, and some spectacular views of the coast from up high. When we were there we also went through a set for a Netflix movie that was being shot while we were there but I don’t know that it would still be there.

It’s worth noting that this tour doesn’t go into the valley itself so you won’t see the ubiquitous Jurassic Park log from the stampede scene, instead it works it’s way up the hill facing the ocean.

check out our vacation video from about 31m for a good idea of what you’ll see. It was raining hard while we were there but that just made it even more exciting and jungle-like!

This tour is great value for money and the duration is ideal in that it’s long enough but not too long. We were able to fit in the dole plantation and the bodo inn temple on the same day with no issues.

I wonder where these people ride horses. Granted, I don't do it often but have gone on trail rides in several different states, Iowa, South Dakota, Colorado and all of the trail rides have been at a walking pace. I never expected anything different. I can see how it would be a dangerous liability to do more then a walk for inexperienced riders. It's a shame that your friends where disappointed and it is good that you pointed out that it is a walking trail ride. I never would have thought to even mention it since I assumed that is how most trail rides are.
Yes, definitely fast enough for me. My horse kept going towards the edge and I kept guiding him to the middle of the path and the tour guide just said he likes to walk on the edge. My daughter was laughing because I did not. I kept thinking he would slip and we were going over but nope, the guide was right, he knew what he was doing. Our guide was awesome and so patient with the new riders. Me, being one and a couple of men who had never ridden and they were hilarious.

We took the Jungle tour in May last year and can highly recommend. Our boys (7 and 9 at the time) are Jurassic World crazy and although you can’t get out, the transport goes right into the Indominous Rex pen and pauses long enough to look in awe and take photos. You also get to see one other Jurassic location as well as a scene from Jumanji and Kong, and some spectacular views of the coast from up high. When we were there we also went through a set for a Netflix movie that was being shot while we were there but I don’t know that it would still be there.

It’s worth noting that this tour doesn’t go into the valley itself so you won’t see the ubiquitous Jurassic Park log from the stampede scene, instead it works it’s way up the hill facing the ocean.

check out our vacation video from about 31m for a good idea of what you’ll see. It was raining hard while we were there but that just made it even more exciting and jungle-like!

This tour is great value for money and the duration is ideal in that it’s long enough but not too long. We were able to fit in the dole plantation and the bodo inn temple on the same day with no issues.

Thanks for sharing your video! Enjoyed seeing the Aulani Resort as well as your tour around the island. Great tip on adding this to visiting Dole Plantation and Bodo Inn Temple - you did a great job of getting a lot done in one day and yet enjoyed each place.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely fast enough for me. My horse kept going towards the edge and I kept guiding him to the middle of the path and the tour guide just said he likes to walk on the edge. My daughter was laughing because I did not. I kept thinking he would slip and we were going over but nope, the guide was right, he knew what he was doing. Our guide was awesome and so patient with the new riders. Me, being one and a couple of men who had never ridden and they were hilarious.

Was the horse called Maui? They put me with, what they called, "the cranky old man" horse. LOL He liked to try to rub people off by getting close to fence posts and trees. But I had ridden horses before and it was a bit of a battle of the wills situation in the beginning. I kid you not, after I corrected him the first time, he stopped and turned his head to give me a death stare. But Mama don't mess around and I won that day. LOL

Was the horse called Maui? They put me with, what they called, "the cranky old man" horse. LOL He liked to try to rub people off by getting close to fence posts and trees. But I had ridden horses before and it was a bit of a battle of the wills situation in the beginning. I kid you not, after I corrected him the first time, he stopped and turned his head to give me a death stare. But Mama don't mess around and I won that day. LOL
Haha, I don't remember. Maybe my daughter will as she thought it was so funny how scared I was. (never been on a horse and she has ridden numerous times with summer camps over the years). When we were in the waiting area and everyone else's horse just stood there and faced the fence like they were suppose to, mine kept turning around. The very patient guide came to comfort me and said that "he is the leader and will not stand looking at the fence, he stands in the direction that he needs to go." I trusted her and he did know where to go, even if it was walking on the edge. We were the leader of the group so I guess he knew his place.

Haha, I don't remember. Maybe my daughter will as she thought it was so funny how scared I was. (never been on a horse and she has ridden numerous times with summer camps over the years). When we were in the waiting area and everyone else's horse just stood there and faced the fence like they were suppose to, mine kept turning around. The very patient guide came to comfort me and said that "he is the leader and will not stand looking at the fence, he stands in the direction that he needs to go." I trusted her and he did know where to go, even if it was walking on the edge. We were the leader of the group so I guess he knew his place.

The tour leader said that they don't breed horses there and that they are all rescue horses. A few horses that were in our group were from Canada. One of the horses liked to get way ahead of the group and it would wait at the next gate. Our group was small, it was the leader, my daughter and I and a group of 3 woman from Japan. We would definitely do it again.

REally enjoyed your video too! I'm trying to work through all of the things we want to do vs the amount of time we have in which to do it. I really wanted this trip (spending all but one night at Aulani) to be more of a relaxing trip but since neither one of us has been to Hawaii before, of course I'm trying to cram it all in! 6 nights just isn't long enough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter