• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Knee Injury on Solo Trip

shaqfor3

Mouseketeer
Just rambling away on my hotel room...

Today I was in Typhoon Lagoon, didn't saw a step and almost fell down (I wish I would had rather fall down) but on my recovery I felt like my knee bended the other way, hear a crack noises and felt my feet go numb for a few seconds.

I went to first aid and apply some ice, went to my hotel room and has been there since. I can walk but seems like my knee want to bend that way again. Plus I got pain when I move it (pain is more to the side of the knee).

I still have a week to go, 5 park days tickets plus Xmas party. I plan to take tomorrow off to give it more rest but doubt It will felt good for walking 5 straight days in Disney.

I managed to get a knee brace so hopefully that will help. I guess I'll rent a scooter but that means I need to be at the parks early.

On the bright side, by how it sounded and felt those first seconds I am lucky I can put weight on it.

Hope everyone is having a better time.

There are a number of offsite scooter rentals that you can have with you from wake up to sleep. If you do that, combined with the knee brace you should be ok and not have to get there early to insure availability. I've had to do Disney that way and it made all the difference in the world.

Today I was in Typhoon Lagoon, didn't saw a step and almost fell down (I wish I would had rather fall down) but on my recovery I felt like my knee bended the other way, hear a crack noises and felt my feet go numb for a few seconds.

I went to first aid and apply some ice, went to my hotel room and has been there since. I can walk but seems like my knee want to bend that way again. Plus I got pain when I move it (pain is more to the side of the knee).

I still have a week to go, 5 park days tickets plus Xmas party. I plan to take tomorrow off to give it more rest but doubt It will felt good for walking 5 straight days in Disney.

I managed to get a knee brace so hopefully that will help. I guess I'll rent a scooter but that means I need to be at the parks early.

On the bright side, by how it sounded and felt those first seconds I am lucky I can put weight on it.

Call Gold Mobility for delivery of ECV to your resort. They are a really great company

Thanks for the replies. I am staying on Disney Springs hotel so I am not sure if the buses can handle the scooters. I'll go check that. Thank you.

Get to an urgent care place that can fully evaluate you. You do NOT want to mess up your knee! If you dislocated your patella it may not have snapped fully back in place. You could've torn something and if you did you want to know so that you won't make it worse!

Have you thought about a cane? You may want something for getting into bathroom or walking the last few feet to a ride. Even walmart may have them and they deliver. Will you need to stock up on any pain meds, and maybe ice pack or heating pad?

Sorry to here. Call Gold mobility and aske for them to deliver to your resort! You wont be able to do the long walks into parks to rent and they are often not available ..sold out.

Give your insuramce.a call. Some urgent care centers might be contracted for out area member use.
Tell them what happened and they'll tell you where to go. Get copies of your scans.

Urgent care is definitely the best idea, just to make sure. That said, though, I had a similar injury when I was 15. At home alone, rehearsing for an upcoming shadow cast performance of Rocky Horror (brought my knees in a little too tight doing the Time Warp). Anyway, my kneecap dislocated, and I immediately landed on my butt on the ground. It was obviously out of place, so I instinctively grabbed it with both hands and shoved it back in. When my parents got home, they tried to take me to the doctor, but I was stubborn. A few days in a knee brace and it healed just fine, though after that it was prone to dislocating again every once in a while for a few years.

All that to say, the first thing I'd do is put both hands on your kneecap and give it a gentle shove in the correct direction. If it's slightly out of place, that will bring instant relief. It'll still be sore, and you'll need the brace (and maybe the scooter, since it's Disney), but it should get rid of the actual pain.

If that doesn't work, you're scared to do it, or you just want to be on the safe side, then definitely go to urgent care. Good luck!

I broke my foot falling down some steps at Port Orleans French Quarter almost immediately after checking in one time. I was able to call an outside vendor and get a wheelchair that evening after getting back from the hospital. When the manual wheelchair didn't work out (there were a lot more hills and steep ramps in the parks than I realized) I called and they replaced it with an ECV the next morning. So all is not lost!

I'd recommend keeping up with the ice and elevation whenever possible, and take painkillers on a schedule instead of waiting for the pain to flare up.

Oof! Im sorry that happened. How are you doing now? I do hope the rest of your trip still went well and you were able to have a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter