Kids meals question

ebharris

Mouseketeer
Trying to prepare myself to have a few meals in mind for my very picky son before we go. He will eat turkey sandwiches, but when I looked for photos online, it’s not regular bread but a goldfish shaped bread... he won’t eat that. Any thoughts on whether or not I can request regular bread? I don’t mind paying more.

He isn’t a typical pizza and nuggets kid - table service is easy because he will eat veggies and a steak or veggies and a chicken breast, but quick service is trickier.

Thanks for the help!

13 days and counting :)

Where are you seeing the turkey sandwich? The kids turkey sandwich I have seen at various places are on a roll. Depending on where the sandwiches are, you might get regular bread. For example, Boudin bakery or French Market, probably not. Jolly Holiday, you might.

One thing I learned on our last trip is that when I went to order food on the app (new feature for some quick service locations), I could see a picture of each item. That was helpful to visualize what we were getting. Unfortunately, Jolly Holiday and Galactic Grill both show a picture of goldfish shaped bread for the kids turkey sandwich. I don't know if you can request different bread. Is there an adult turkey sandwich?

One thing I learned on our last trip is that when I went to order food on the app (new feature for some quick service locations), I could see a picture of each item. That was helpful to visualize what we were getting. Unfortunately, Jolly Holiday and Galactic Grill both show a picture of goldfish shaped bread for the kids turkey sandwich. I don't know if you can request different bread. Is there an adult turkey sandwich?

Good question re: adult. If I ordered them plain that would work.

Where are you seeing the turkey sandwich? The kids turkey sandwich I have seen at various places are on a roll. Depending on where the sandwiches are, you might get regular bread. For example, Boudin bakery or French Market, probably not. Jolly Holiday, you might.

I was going by what I see on the app, but maybe I could just not use the app and request it when I order? Rolls would work.

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

At Jolly Holiday, I think you could order it on plain bread (just not on the app.) I completely understand the pickiness issues. Have you shown him the pictures? Flo's has a kids carved turkey sandwich on a roll, unless they have changed it.

I’m not sure about the sandwiches, but does he eat pasta? Most picky eaters will eat pasta, which is the case with my son. CS places with pasta are Plaza Inn, Pizza Planet in DL, Boardwalk Pizza in DCA. You can ask for sauce on the side if that’s an issue. Plaza Inn also serves yummy fried chicken. Will he eat that? You could ask for just a breast piece and veggies (usually grean beans or corn). Good luck, and if all else fails, have ice cream for lunch!

I’m not sure about the sandwiches, but does he eat pasta? Most picky eaters will eat pasta, which is the case with my son. CS places with pasta are Plaza Inn, Pizza Planet in DL, Boardwalk Pizza in DCA. You can ask for sauce on the side if that’s an issue. Plaza Inn also serves yummy fried chicken. Will he eat that? You could ask for just a breast piece and veggies (usually grean beans or corn). Good luck, and if all else fails, have ice cream for lunch!

We will likely do many ice cream for lunch days! He doesn’t eat pasta, potatoes or rice. Who doesn’t eat french fries? My kid.

At Jolly Holiday, I think you could order it on plain bread (just not on the app.) I completely understand the pickiness issues. Have you shown him the pictures? Flo's has a kids carved turkey sandwich on a roll, unless they have changed it.

I did show him the photos, we have been trying to preplan - he is so fussy, but I could go to a fruit cart and he’d be thrilled with an apple and a pickle. I just have to think outside the box.

How do you get a pic of the item? All I see are descriptions?

If you go into “order food” on the app (just pretend you’re ordering for now) and select a restaurant and then an item it often shows a picture.

After you select a time and get to the "build your order" screen there is a list of menu items. Click on a menu item and it will bring up a picture and options for picking sides, customization, etc.

Good question re: adult. If I ordered them plain that would work.

I was going by what I see on the app, but maybe I could just not use the app and request it when I order? Rolls would work.

Thanks to both of you for your replies!
If he'll eat everything on the kids meal except the bread, maybe just bring in a couple slices of bread and switch them out.

I’m sure you already know but just in case I thought I’d mention that you can bring food into the park. Maybe just bring in things you know he’ll eat to keep him going and then get little things here and there? I have kids with allergies so I’m used to traveling with my own snacks for them.

Rancho Del Zacholo has a plate with enchiladas and a carne asada. YOu can sub the beans and rice for veggies. Give him the grilled steak and veggies and you can have the three enchiladas?
My kid is similar- no pasta, no rice, no beans. She will eat the heck out of salmon, steak and veggies.

Rancho Del Zacholo has a plate with enchiladas and a carne asada. YOu can sub the beans and rice for veggies. Give him the grilled steak and veggies and you can have the three enchiladas?
My kid is similar- no pasta, no rice, no beans. She will eat the heck out of salmon, steak and veggies.

Thank you for this suggestion, that’s a good one that we will definitely try!

I’m sure you already know but just in case I thought I’d mention that you can bring food into the park. Maybe just bring in things you know he’ll eat to keep him going and then get little things here and there? I have kids with allergies so I’m used to traveling with my own snacks for them.

I’m trying to get away with not bringing a large bag, but I do have some snacks - fruit leather, granola bars, raisins, goldfish packed that I know he’ll like.

My husband just reminded me that it’s going to be so hot that he likely won’t eat tons anyhow. His eating is my only stress about this trip. We are from Canada, and historically he won’t even eat the Rice Krispies in the US because they taste different than Canadian ones... already packed a box ;)

I guess if this is my only battle I’m a lucky mom. I thought he’d outgrow his food quirks, but nope.

Does he like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? If so, they sell Uncrustables at DCA at the boardwalk and as a package at Starbucks (DCA).

There is a Subway just down the road on Harbor Blvd.

Starbucks in DCA usually has a turkey and also a roast beef premade packaged sandwich that is delicious. Oh, looks like it is served on a croissant. The roast beef says it is served on a pretzel roll. Both were sooo good and refreshing!

Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!