Just totalled our trip...

txbuckeye71

Earning My Ears
4 People (49,47,21,20) at CBR 7 nights. 2 days at USO. Did 6 day hoppers as well(we never went back to Universal for second day). Flew SWA from DFW and Rented a car.

Park Tickets $2262.80
Universal Tickets $1171.48
Rental Car $350.83
Parking at Airport $95.83
Airfare - $995.88
Resort $1670.89
Food, Souv., Misc. $2404.89
Total $8952.60

Not Sure how many can afford this, but they charge what the market allows them to. TBH we did play it loose with the magic bands, we ate and drank (adult beverages) as we desired. Nominal souvenirs.

Do you feel like you made good use of the rental car? Did you add in parking fees at the resort and universal?

Do you feel like you made good use of the rental car? Did you add in parking fees at the resort and universal?

I will never not have a car. We have decided not to do USO for the foreseeable future, but even not making that drive I wont be without a car. To be able to get back to resort for nap in literally :05 from any park is worth it. Also, we ran to Walmart to get a few items as well. Its just part of the costs, I will keep in the budget and put off the trip until I can pay for it.

I mean, if you think about it, Divided 4 ways that is $2238.15 each or about $320/day per person.

So if you plan it right and each person puts away $100 from each months income (assuming all 4 adults have jobs that earn money) that would be ~22 months or just under 2 years of saving. And since *most* people don't go more often than every two years (most much less than that) saving up for 2 years seems fairly reasonable! You can do it!

I mean, if you think about it, Divided 4 ways that is $2238.15 each or about $320/day per person.

So if you plan it right and each person puts away $100 from each months income (assuming all 4 adults have jobs that earn money) that would be ~22 months or just under 2 years of saving. And since *most* people don't go more often than every two years (most much less than that) saving up for 2 years seems fairly reasonable! You can do it!

It is doable, my kids are in college so they didnt help out :). My wife asked if I had any regrets about the trip and it was an easy answer - ZERO!!

$1,170 for one day at Universal! Yikes! Is a 2 day hopper there really almost $300?
Yes, the two day hopper is nearly $300 - never again. To tell you how bad it was, I took my giftcard from mousekeeping and $60 and added a 6th day to all four hoppers to avoid going back. This is coming from someone who has done USO on every single WDW trip since 1995 (about 10 trips)

It’s all about perspective... and the Only one that truly matters is the vacationer.
OP ...sounds like ur visit was a great one ...good to hear!
Just got some pix back from our most recent visit over Thanksgiving and remembering our Fun Times, more Memories made... that’s what vacation is All about. Looking forward to some fun times ahead in 2019!

The price of park tickets has gotten insane. When we go to Disney (which is yearly), we spend a lot of time at the resort and only spend 4-5 hours a day at the parks. I have a hard time lately spending so much money for park tickets. We are skipping this year and going out west.

You could have dropped Universal and upgraded at least one of your tickets to an AP to save $$ on some food and merchandise. I can never justify going over to Universal and usually get part of the trip paid for on points, airfare or hotel. Although I did pay a fortune for "last minute" spring break plane tickets last year.

The value of a 2 day WDW is a bargain compared to 2 day a USO - even with 2 extra days....

What happened that you seem to really dislike Universal now? I know you said you have been going yearly. Did something transpire this trip?

The price of park tickets has gotten insane. When we go to Disney (which is yearly), we spend a lot of time at the resort and only spend 4-5 hours a day at the parks. I have a hard time lately spending so much money for park tickets. We are skipping this year and going out west.

Agree about the cost of tickets! We skipped 2018 & went to Ireland for less money than a "budget" onsite trip to WDW.

Trips with your young adult kids are the best and priceless as they will soon not be able to vacation with you as they get older and have adult responsibilities.

Did a big one to Dis and Universal in 2016, before our oldest married in 2017. The price tag was not a biggie as we knew our time with them is waning. We thoroughly enjoyed that trip and would spend the $ again.

Looking at non Disney vacation options for our family of young adult kids to take soon.

I love both parks, but have found with ticket prices the way they are we do either a WDW vacation or a Universal/IOA vacation. No more split stays for us. When we do US/IOA we usually add in some smaller, local attractions. In November we did US/IOA, Haunted Halloween Night at US, Bohemian Rhapsody in IMAX, Medieval Times, The Void, Blue Man Group, and the Outta Control Comedy Show.

What happened that you seem to really dislike Universal now? I know you said you have been going yearly. Did something transpire this trip?

First, it feels like a money grab from the second you drive into the parking lot. I'm aware that WDW is all about separating me from my money as well, but USO makes an overt effort to upsell at every turn. Pushed preferred parking when we pulled in to the lot. Constantly being approached for adding days/parks to tickets as well as front of line passes. Secondly, the atmosphere of the park is second rate. Customer service lacks, the music is annoying they pipe through the park. Thirdly, the logistics of the park. No magic bands, using literal paper tickets printed from internet. No cell phones allowed on certain rides, locker usage requirements. We had to use a locker on Harry Potter ride, did child swap with my grandson, time expired - credit card reader would not work, cash dispenser wouldnt work, got an employee over. He opened it and then said "you rode twice didnt you?". Really?

No magic bands
Well they have TapuTapu at Volcano Bay. What would MBs do at USO?

No cell phones allowed on certain rides
That's safety.

Secondly, the atmosphere of the park is second rate.
That's so subjective. My husband prefers USO, it feels more adult-like to him. Nonetheless I doubt either one of us would say either park is second rate to each other. They both just have different atmostpheres and I personally appreciate that.

music is annoying they pipe through the park.
What music? Are you talking about themed music to the lands?

Well they have TapuTapu at Volcano Bay. What would MBs do at USO?

That's safety.

That's so subjective. My husband prefers USO, it feels more adult-like to him. Nonetheless I doubt either one of us would say either park is second rate to each other. They both just have different atmostpheres and I personally appreciate that.

What music? Are you talking about themed music to the lands?

I'm not saying that they should accept the WDW bands, they just have no equivalent. I wouldn't mind if it were a card. And the no cell phones on rides is an inconvenience while waiting in an hour long line, and makes communications with your party impossible. WDW doesnt ban cell phones on any rides to my knowledge.

4 People (49,47,21,20) at CBR 7 nights. 2 days at USO. Did 6 day hoppers as well(we never went back to Universal for second day). Flew SWA from DFW and Rented a car.

Park Tickets $2262.80
Universal Tickets $1171.48
Rental Car $350.83
Parking at Airport $95.83
Airfare - $995.88
Resort $1670.89
Food, Souv., Misc. $2404.89
Total $8952.60

Not Sure how many can afford this, but they charge what the market allows them to. TBH we did play it loose with the magic bands, we ate and drank (adult beverages) as we desired. Nominal souvenirs.

:faint:

My trip total, which doesn't happen till June will be in the $1600 area! That's room, tickets, memory maker, souvenirs, food, tolls, and parking. Granted, my family is only 3 in which only 2 of us are going and we are only doing 5 days and 4 nights and we drive instead of having to fly considering we live right here in FL. We also are not doing Universal. That's pretty darn cool you could afford that and not have to even think about it. Sounds like your trip was a good one! party:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter