Just joined Weight Watchers

I joined 2 weeks ago and did good the first 2 weeks. The past 2 days have been rough. We had a baby shower at work and I ate a piece of cake. I think it was about 23 points . Hoping to get back on track tomorrow.
It happens. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

For me, that first big cheat has always been the issue-- I figure that this diet simply won't work for me and I give up.

So consider those 23 points as using your weeklies. So now you've never fallen off the wagon. Stay on track today.

I'm glad I found this thread! I signed up a week and a half ago. I started with about 25lbs that I'd like to lose but realistically I'd be happy with 15 or 20. I'm hoping to lose a good chunk of it before we head to Disney at the end of March but we'll see how my willpower is! I lost 5lbs in the first week but I know that was mostly water and that the weight loss will really slow down now.

Weigh in at the end of week2: down another 1.2 pounds, for a total of 4.8.

Slow and steady, I'm happy with my progress.

That’s great! Congratulations!

I'm glad I found this thread! I signed up a week and a half ago. I started with about 25lbs that I'd like to lose but realistically I'd be happy with 15 or 20. I'm hoping to lose a good chunk of it before we head to Disney at the end of March but we'll see how my willpower is! I lost 5lbs in the first week but I know that was mostly water and that the weight loss will really slow down now.

You’ll probably still lose quickly for awhile! Welcome!

Glad to have a thread up and running with frequent posters. I’ll be checking in regularly.

Last night I figured I'm overdue to start some exercise. I'm not a huge exercise fan... I'm on my feet all day long, and have no real problems with 11 or 12 miles a day when we hit Disney World every few years. But I don't do gyms, and I pretty much never exercise for the sake of exercise.

We inherited a treadmill over the summer from some neighbors. I'm pretty sure it's haunted. I got on it last night. After a 1 minute warmup, the pace goes into an Olympic sprint. Thank goodness for the sideboards; you can get onto them while slowing down the pace to "59 year old woman."

But I did 10 minutes. (Closer to 13; I stopped and started a few minutes trying to survive the pace before I hit the 10 consecutive minute pace.) Wimpy, I know. I figure 10 minutes a few times a week can certainly increase to 15, then 20 and so on. And I'll have to choose my time better; I want to be able to blast the music, and both my husband and daughter needed the computers in the same room while I was on the treadmill.

But it's 10 minutes I wasn't sitting in front of the TV.

Last night I figured I'm overdue to start some exercise. I'm not a huge exercise fan... I'm on my feet all day long, and have no real problems with 11 or 12 miles a day when we hit Disney World every few years. But I don't do gyms, and I pretty much never exercise for the sake of exercise.

We inherited a treadmill over the summer from some neighbors. I'm pretty sure it's haunted. I got on it last night. After a 1 minute warmup, the pace goes into an Olympic sprint. Thank goodness for the sideboards; you can get onto them while slowing down the pace to "59 year old woman."

But I did 10 minutes. (Closer to 13; I stopped and started a few minutes trying to survive the pace before I hit the 10 consecutive minute pace.) Wimpy, I know. I figure 10 minutes a few times a week can certainly increase to 15, then 20 and so on. And I'll have to choose my time better; I want to be able to blast the music, and both my husband and daughter needed the computers in the same room while I was on the treadmill.

But it's 10 minutes I wasn't sitting in front of the TV.
Good for you! Keep going, it does get easier!
I hate working out but when I was younger I worked out faithfully. Lately I tend to go in spurts of total exercise commitment and then I quit for awhile. Right now I’m just doing the bare minimum but I know I need to bump that up.

Hello! I've been reading this thread the past few days and decided to take the plunge and join WW. We get a discount through my workplace so I decided to re-join (yes, I've been on WW before on and off for years). We are also having a 2 person 12 week co-ed weight loss challenge at work. We completed week 4 yesterday and I'm only down 1.5 pounds. My partner joined WW and clearly MFP logging isn't working for me so I am going to try WW again. So I plugged my food in for today and I will be at 38 points (my daily allowance is 23)! I REALLY need to give up my 7 point International Delight iced mocha coffee I drink every morning along with my English muffin with butter, but I actually look forward to it when I wake up! Clearly I need to really reign in those pesky carbs I oh so love!

As far as the English Muffin with butter goes:

Instead of something along those lines, one of my new go-to snacks is 1 slice of Fiber One 50 calorie bread (1 pt) and 1 tsp of Smuckers No Sugar Added Raspberry Preserves (0 pts). The preserves are hearty enough that I don't even miss the butter.

What can you substitute to make the coffee fewer points? I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't be of much help. Could you switch to lower fat milk? Could you switch to a small from a medium? Could you substitute a lower calorie version of the creamer?

I state first that I’m not doing WW right now. I’m still not over them changing it to Fainting Points when I’d had incredible success with Points Plus. This new plan seems more reasonable than the last one but I have trust issues lol.

But I did lose 80+ pounds healthily.

Just...have plan materials in written form. So when they change the plan in the future to something you can’t do you won’t be lost.

Any WW pros willing to share any concrete advice/tips?

Eat all your points. Weekly and activity. Just do it. The honeymoon period is real, but eventually you’ll feel hungry.

It’s scary to add points in later.

So start with all of them. If you lose line tgat, that is a massive win win.

If you can’t, if you’re not losing AT ALL after *several* weeks, then start slowly lowering points.

Don’t play games. Take each weigh in as it is. This will serve you in maintenance. Maintenance is so much harder than losing, and it’s forever. If you start by playing scale games, when you’re in maintenance you’ll understand yourself will playing games.

I’m not sure Lifetime-Maintenance is the same for At Work, but just in case, and for those doing meetings...a scale game looks like weighing May 1 to get your free online code, then not weighing again until the last meeting of June. Totally legal to do, but that’s a LONG period of no meetings or weighins.

OK, a question.

I've been good for a week-- weigh in is today. I've only used 2 of my weekly points last Friday; most days I'm a point or two below my 23 point target. And I know I could have a snack to use them up, but I'm honestly not hungry.

Why do you say to use all the points everyday? I can see that some days I'll want them, and to even dip into the weeklies. But is it OK to be a point or two below my daily target on most days?

See above. Eventually you’ll get hungry. Best to start high and if you cannot lose at all then start slowly lowering (it’s the opposite of what you’ll do for maintenance). I think many more can eat more than they think they can, but when you start all “diet-y” you can harm your metabolism and long term success.

For me, that first big cheat has always been the issue-- I figure that this diet simply won't work for me and I give up.

So consider those 23 points as using your weeklies. So now you've never fallen off the wagon. Stay on track today.

You’re never off the wagon unless you choose to be. We considers people like me to always be lifetime, even if we aren’t doing the program. The next meal can get us back on track.

Weigh in at the end of week2: down another 1.2 pounds, for a total of 4.8.

Slow and steady, I'm happy with my progress.

That’s not slow. That’s very very fast especially since I think you said your goal is a 25 pound loss.

Eat more. Slow it down. The longer you take to lose the more you’ll solidify how to eat, and the easier maintenance (the rest of your life) will be.

And don’t expect steady! You will have gains. You will have maintains. It’s all OK. I rejoiced when I had my first gain, like I rejoice when a new car gets its first scratch. It happened, I survived, I move on. :)

I'd love to join y'all! I lost 80lbs doing Weight Watchers and Beach Body workouts several years ago and got in the best shape ever for my 40th birthday. Unfortunately, I then injured my hip, couldn't be active, got depressed and gained it all back. There were two things I think contributed to my success last time around - believing it would work and having an online group to keep me accountable. I'm back in!

I gained.2 this week, but it's been a rough week and we ate out last night so I was expecting it. I'm back on track this week. I'm kind of dreading Valentine's Day. The sweets are hard to resist!

I have been contemplating joining weight watchers. I have been heavy most of my adult life and would like to lose weight and be healthier. My sister in law did weight watchers and did amazing, she was skinny to begin with I think she did it to lose baby weight. Can you explain the free style? I see the commercials but a little confused.... is it beneficial to me to do the meetings? Or to do the online only thing?

Again, I'm a newbie, but here's how it goes.

At your first weigh in, they ask your name and age, and weigh you. From those factors, they determine your daily points-- for me, its 23. For some of my heavier friends it's more. (Not sure exactly how many, but one of my friends listed all she had eaten and said that brought her down to 23.)

You're also given Weekly points. I don't know whether everyone gets 28, or whether that's just my number. They're points I can spend at any time during the week. And anytime I have a few dailies to spare, they go into the bank of weekly points, up to 4 per day. So I suppose I could end up with close to 56 weeklies to spare before it resets on weigh in day. If i were going to a wedding or something, I could use those Weeklies in addition to my dailies, and eat pretty much what I wanted, while still staying on plan.

For me, the group support is great. I track everything I eat-- I go to the App and write down what I'm eating, and it deducts the points. The app even has a scanner, so you can scan foods at the supermarket to decide which brand you want to buy.

So, for example, here's how I might spend today's points:
- Breakfast: 2 eggs (0) 1 slice of toast (Fiber One, 45 calorie) (1)..........1 point

- Snack 1 slice toast, 1 tspn Smuckers Sugar Free Raspberry preserves (0)>...... 1 point

-Lunch: 1Arnold Sandwich thins, 2 oz Boars Head ovenfresh turkey, 1 tangerine.... 3 points

Snack after school: 1 sugar free jello (0) or 1 sugar free chocolate pudding (3)

That brings me to dinner. Last night I had one of the breaded pork cutlets from a WW recipe, with a small baked potato and 1 Tblspn low fat sour cream. I think it was 13 points total.

Snack: 2 ginger snaps and tea (1 pt each)........................2
Total: 23 points. if I have the pudding, 20 if I have the jello.

And that's a LOT of food. And the cool thing is that it's all about choices; no two of us are doing this the same way, I LOVE bread, so I tend to use lots of my points on bread (at least it seems that way to me.)... but I've chosen a lower point bread, and I'm eating lots of turkey and other zero point foods to keep me on plan while I induldge that love for bread.

Up until this point, I've chosen not to use my weekly points. Then again, it's been dead winter-- no special occasions that would cause me to need them. Even Valentine's Day this week is also Ash Wednesday. I think I'll do something with Shrimp for dinner... shrimp is a zero point food and it's not meat, so I'm good on both WW and my faith.

As far as the meetings go, it's not some sort of True Confessions thing. It's a discussion... last week we talked about strategies for going out to eat... taking a look at the menu online beforehand, using Weekly points, asking the waiter to box up half your dinner before serving you... stuff like that. It's half an hour, aside from the weigh in.

The leader also brings WW branded food items for purchase. I've chosen not to buy them; I would rather get used to things I can get at the supermarket. But other people have found stuff they love and have asked her to keep bringing those particular items each week.

Last edited:
Oh ok. Thank you for that response that makes more sense. I like that it will hold you accountable for the food you eat and teach yuou a better way to eat and not feel deprived. I'm a sugar addict, so the sugar free stuff would be hard for me. But I know I can't have sugar and loose weight. Is it expensive?

As far as the English Muffin with butter goes:

Instead of something along those lines, one of my new go-to snacks is 1 slice of Fiber One 50 calorie bread (1 pt) and 1 tsp of Smuckers No Sugar Added Raspberry Preserves (0 pts). The preserves are hearty enough that I don't even miss the butter.

What can you substitute to make the coffee fewer points? I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't be of much help. Could you switch to lower fat milk? Could you switch to a small from a medium? Could you substitute a lower calorie version of the creamer?

Thanks for the suggestions for better choices with my english muffin. As far as the coffee goes, I'm not a coffee drinker either only that morning cup of the coffee drink that I stumbled upon in the groccery store. It's in a milk carton already mixed up so I would not even begin to know how to concoct a lower point version. I need to walk away from it...lol

I'm so glad this thread is gaining members!!

DH and I are doing this together and we resisted some serious temptation this weekend. He's dying for our Mexican restaurant habit. But we stayed away so we can have our blow-out Valentine's dinner tomorrow evening. Meanwhile I snuck a peak at the scale and I haven't lost since my Wed. weigh-in. I'm sort of discouraged since I have eaten in that "healthy range" for me all week and even added some here and there to my weeklies. DD was sick and stayed home. And the weather has been terrible. So I have not been active like I should be. Maybe that's why.

I have been contemplating joining weight watchers. I have been heavy most of my adult life and would like to lose weight and be healthier. My sister in law did weight watchers and did amazing, she was skinny to begin with I think she did it to lose baby weight. Can you explain the free style? I see the commercials but a little confused.... is it beneficial to me to do the meetings? Or to do the online only thing?

Online only has a tracker, a great website, the app with a points calculator and scanner. It also has Connect, which is their social media only for WW members. I am finding some great tips and videos on there to keep me motivated. Lots of inspiring stories. I believe it is $15 per month for online-only, but they usually run an introductory discount. I have never attended a meeting. I'm currently 30 lbs below my high weight, and working back down to my original goal (lost it before and then got lazy). Meetings members get access to online with their membership, I believe. They also have a Lifetime status with meetings that gets you free meetings as long as you stay in certain criteria. I may join for that when I get closer to goal.

It is easy to stay full on freestyle if you will eat the zero points foods. Mostly lean proteins, beans, and fruits and vegetables. You can bulk up any meal with those. I even drink 1 glass of wine every night because I fill up on veggies instead of carbs. I may have to vary that and cut back on the alcohol at some point. For those 4 points, I could also have a light dessert, a cookie, Halo Top ice cream, popcorn . . . there are so many options to be flexible.

I gained.2 this week, but it's been a rough week and we ate out last night so I was expecting it. I'm back on track this week. I'm kind of dreading Valentine's Day. The sweets are hard to resist!
Plan ahead for the sweets! You can even go ahead in the tracker calendar and it will let you track items and take them out of your weeklies without affecting your current day's points. It's easier to resist the temptation if you know you will get a treat on your terms.

Oh ok. Thank you for that response that makes more sense. I like that it will hold you accountable for the food you eat and teach yuou a better way to eat and not feel deprived. I'm a sugar addict, so the sugar free stuff would be hard for me. But I know I can't have sugar and loose weight. Is it expensive?
Sugar is high in points. So are pastries, ice cream, chocolate, fried foods, etc. BUT you can use sugar substitutes and natural fruits to get that sweet flavor. There are lots of people who do recipe hacks on you tube and elsewhere to still have their treats and have them with lower points. That doesn't work so well for me. Coming off sugar is hard at first, but when you practice it really does make you appreciate naturally sweet foods more.

Weighed in last week on Sunday morning and this week at my normal Monday night time. I was really worried I wouldn’t show a loss because of the morning/night difference but it was nearly a 2 lb loss. I’ll take it lol. A little bummed to be skipping out on Paczki day tomorrow but saving those points for treats on DD birthday this week. I really struggled from October through the holidays but pretty much maintained what I had lost. Got back in the swing of things a couple weeks ago and feel so much better because of it.

Fell off the wagon tonight. :guilty: Cinnamon buns and just an all around bad supper. I weighed in yesterday and have lost 6 lbs. I expect I gained some of that back today. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!