Just got back... our food in review!

CK1

DIS VET / DVC member
Just got back this week from 10 days at VWL... we had 4 adults, 4 kids in our group for most of trip, then added 2 more adults and 2 teens towards the end, so bear with me! Also -- we're DVC and did a fair amount of cookin' in our villa. I'll limit this report to only those times we dined out...

SUnday: dined in.

Monday: Dined in.

Tuesday: Dinner at Coral Reef. I ordered the Catch of Day (tuna), as did my SIL, but for some reason, they gave me blackened catfish... oh well, it was delicious anyway! DH got the mahi-mahi with a teriyaki-type sauce; I thought his was the best of all our dishes (BIL got shrimp... didn't seem like anything to write home about). THe soup (lobster bisque) was delicious (my 2 yr old ate half my bowl!!) but seemed steep at $6 per cup. Kids really enjoyed seeing the fishies, but SIL had a crummy view... basically, a blank wall! We rotated during the meal (much, I'm sure to frustration of the waiter...) THe pinot gris wine we ordered was excellent -- crisp, cool, fruity, great paired with the fish (like the tuna I didn't get?!?) Kid's pizza looked kinda gross. Kid's pasta looked better, frankly. After dinner, they brought us a small cake in honor of our 12 yr wedding anniversary. BTW, our entrees averaged at about $23 per peice, not including tax.

Wednesday: Dinner @ Chef Mickey's. My DH loved this meal. Smoked ham, prime rib, and the pasta, I swear, had the same $6 per cup bisque soup on it that we had the night before at the restaurant!! 2 yr old again in hog heaven. Kids thoroughly enjoyed the dessert bar, and characters were very accessible and visited us several times. Older kids (age 7) liked being able to "help themselves" (and as a parent, I kinda liked that, too!) For dessert, SIL/BIL milked our anniversary again, and we received a cupcake (and I got a kiss from Donald).

Thursday: Dinner at Sci-Fi, MGM. We mainly went here for the ambiance (and to escape the heat!!) DH got salmon, SIL ordered a shrimp pasta -- both looked pretty good, they had no complaints. BIL ordered rib plate. I ordered spring rolls and a house salad. Salad was very generous, I thought, although you had better like blue cheese! Lots of chunks. We all enjoyed the salads. Spring rolls very crisp and good. Our small ones ordered Mickey pasta and seemed to enjoy it (although it was waaayyy too much food... they should have split an order.) Older ones got hot dog or chicken fingers. I ordered a milkshake for dessert -- to me, it wan't much different from a Wendy's frosty. Not that I don't like a good frosty -- but I guess I just expected more, maybe?? Anyhoo... bill for 4 adults, 4 kids came to about $100, not including tip.

Friday: Our 2 yr old dd (the soup thief!) and I went to Epcot for Storybook breakfast. Very good, not crowded at all at 9 am -- seated immediately, many empty tables, even! Our waiter (Bjorn) took good care of us, and dd was thrilled by the characters present (Mary Poppins, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine, and Snow White). Food was pretty good -- potatoes with cheese, sausage, bacon, french toast sticks, fruit, pastries, muffins, etc. For lunch, she and I shared a turkey leg in MK Frontierland and some cold grapes and carrots I had packed, topped off with a frozen Coke. Later we had ice cream. Dinner back at villa.

Saturday: DIned in. Ice Cream at Boardwalk -- seemed like a very limited selection to me, but the day was hot and the ice cream was cold, so I won't complain!

Sunday: Dinner in Epcot, Garden Grille. Mixed reviews from our group of 12, depending upon who you ask! I could be wrong, but my BIL and SIL seemed disenchanted (SIL's favorite meal was Coral Reef, if that's an indicator... I don't think the "skillet at your table" approach appealed to her, nor did the yellow corn cobs, which I must agree left a lot to be desired). The catfish was surpringly good -- very fresh, almost not even a fish at all! Kids liked their mac-n-c and the dirt desserts were well received, too. THe lemon upside down pie was an odd choice, to me, for the adult dessert. I guess I expected something more in theme, like apple pie or cobbler. Still, it was good.

Monday: Dinner at Whispering Canyon. THis was excellent. Granted, it was loud and rowdy; son asked why it was called Whispering Canyon, when it should be "Hollerin' Canyon". Our waiter was very "quirky" and corny, and at one point tied our 6 yr old to his chair (something I've long threatened to do at home!!) Ryan thought this was hysterical. ANd of course, when one son wanted mustard, I encouraged him to go right ahead and ask for some ;) ... he thought the ensuing attention was great fun. Only bummer was that they didn't get to participate in the horse race while we were there... As for the food -- I ordered the ribs -- for 1$19, it was a LOT of food! 2 racks of ribs, and just the way I like them -- meaty, but not sloppy, sauce on the side. YUM. DH ordered the pork chops -- he could only finish one, took the other back to villa. Very good! Only downer was the return of those nasty little yellow corn cobs. Yuck. I'd rather have canned corn or no corn at all!! Too starchy and smooshy. Kids had either hot dogs or chicken -- no complaints.

Tuesday: Travelin' home. Ate at Gooney Birds in Spartanburg, S.C. Very good homemade potato chips!

Overall meal rating:

DH says Chef mickey, then Whispering Canyon, then garden Grille, then SciFi, then Coral Reef. His parting sentiment was that Chef Mickey was a bargain and Coral Reef was overpriced. He said Chef mickey is a must for our next trip,Whispering Canyon he would gladly do again, but he could live with or without the others. (I think he's ready for a change at MGM... me too.)

I vote Whispering Canyon, Coral Reef, Chef Mickey, and SciFi and Garden Grille are a toss up. No meal was a disaster -- and I'm ranking these in the order of what I thought of the meal I got, food, service, ambiance, etc. Even tho' I ranked Coral Reef 2nd... I'm content to never go there again. Been there, done that, movin' on. So many restaurants, so little time! And to be totally honest... the BEST meal I had at WDW was NOT in a restaurant anyway! On Monday, I threw 2 eye of round roasts in a crock pot with a can of beef broth, a can of condensed French onion soup and a bottle of beer and set it on low. When we got back from AK that day at 6 pm, we had the most awesome french dip sandwiches on crusty french rolls with cheese! That, with some cold fruit I'd tossed in the fridge that am, and an ice cold beer to drink, in the leisure of our villa with its incredible view of the pool and bay.... my friends, it didn't get any better than that!

Cindy
:smooth:

I think the reason your shake at Sci Fi tasted like a Frosty is that is pretty much what it is. My dh likes his chocolate shakes made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup (sometimes called a black and white) and they told him they couldn't do it there b/c the shakes come out of the machine already made!

Thanks for your reviews. First hand info really adds to the menu listings on the internet.

I am on the fence about lunch at Whispering Canyon. I thought maybe we could do lunch there one day since we are staying at WL. As for Coral Reef, yes we are venturing there in November for lunch. The atmosphere just sounds so appealing. I'm hoping the food lives up to its improving reviews.

Thanks again,
penny

Thanks for the reviews. I had no idea shakes at Sci-Fi were from a machine. Glad I was forewarned, and I'll certainly pass on that.

How old were the kids who ordered the Mickey pasta? I'm thinking maybe my 4 yr. old and 8 yr. old should split. Of course, I'd still have to order 2 of those glow-in-the-dark saucers.

Thanks for the reviews!!!! I just wrote down your crockpot recipe and will give it a try. That meal with the fruit and the VIEW really did sound appealing! It reminds me of one of our trips when we had dined at many of the "big name" restaurants. We went over to Roaring Forks, ordered Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches and ate them out by the waterfall/pool. It really made more of an impression on us than any of the fancy meals that trip! Go figure!

Thanks for the reviews...Whispering Canyon is one of our favorites...and IMO the Lodge is the most beautiful hotel on property, we can't wait to go back!!!

CK1 Is there any lobster pieces in the Bisque at the Coral Reef? For $6 it should have at least one piece of the real thing.

we had the most awesome french dip sandwiches on crusty french rolls with cheese

mmmm-do you take ressies and VISA CK1? And the ambiance at VWL-ohlala...

Thanks for your great reviews!

Thanks for the review...Chef Mickey's is also our families group favorite.....

Thanks for the great reviews. We have never eaten at whispering canyon or chef mickeys but after your reviews we are thinkin of eating here on our next trip.

I enjoyed reading your reviews...thanks for sharing. Gave me some good ideas for our upcoming trip.

Thanks so much for posting your reviews, Cindy, and thanks for telling us how you made the French dip sandwiches. I read about them in your trip report and was dying to know how you made them. I've been keeping an eye out for things we can do at BCV next December (can you believe I'm planning, already??), and they sound just wonderful!! Thanks again for sharing.

Inky

RE: the Coral Reef $6 lobster bisque and whether it had "the real thing" in it.... verrrrryyyy small pieces of something were in it, but darn little! I don't recall DH commenting on a wealth of any in his cup, either... and they were too small to discern whether or not they were real lobster or that imitation stuff lotsa places use... the soup was a very pinkish color, very thick and creamy. LIke I said, it seemed IDENTICAL to the sauce used on the seafood pasta at Chef Mickey's. My dd ate half my bowl of soup, and if SHE had gotten any pieces of anything in her spoonfuls, she would have made a big production of pulling them off her spoon or out of her mouth to show me, I'm certain!! It was good soup, as soup goes, but it just didn't seem to live up to the price tag.

As for whether or not I take ressies and visa...sure, just pay my way to WDW and I'll cook for your entire stay! Something about WDW magic just motivates me beyond all reason... now that I'm home, I don't wanna cook (or do) ANYTHING!!! ;)

Cindy

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest