Just Back- More Random Musings

ncbunnie

Mouseketeer
Just back from a week trip with my mom (62) and 7 yo dd- Girl's trip! :cheer2:

A few musings that might benefit someone else (hopefully!) -

Resorts:

*All Star Music was very nice. Theming was cute and personally I prefer the Disney-esque touch at the All Stars to even the moderate, more "upscale" theming. Only troubles were that I had a package delivered to the resort that was not delivered to the room in a timely manner. Took a few calls to get it, but it still was delivered on the first day we arrived. Just could've been handled a little quicker - or at least handled in the way I was promised. Other thing was that we requested close to buses, jazz section, 3rd floor. We got Broadway, 1st floor, the furthest room from buses- so room requests obviously aren't always honored. Still a great resort and nothing much to complain about at all!

*Food court was amazing! So glad to see the reburb was open when we were there as we took advantage of it a couple of times. Food was all very good- our favorite was the make-your-own-salad with salmon, chicken or beef. My dd said the mac and cheese and pizza were also good, and there were plenty of healthy options as well.

*You can get sweet tea at the resorts! I know this was a question I saw on the boards before we go and being a Southern tea fan, sweet tea was a MUST. It wasn't bad tea, either, but the dispensers kind of hide so you have to look. Also my diabetic mom found that unsweet tea was not too tough to find (only a couple of places she asked didn't have it)- but if you are looking for the PINK sweetener, pick up a couple of packs if you find it. She went to a few restaurants that only had the blue stuff (sorry I don't know the names) and the blue kind gives my mom migraines.

*Sponges with dish soap dried and cut up before the trip were invaluable for washing resort mugs! I dropped my mug's lid accidentally in the food court to the floor and was grateful for a way to wash it with some soap.

*If you're there at Christmas, consider decorating your window! We took lights and some Dollar Store window clings and got many compliments from others who noticed the decor. It doesn't take up much space to really bring some holiday cheer into the resort- both for your family and for others!

Food:

*LOVE DDP, especially when FD is in effect. CRT was my mom's favorite and she was actually tearing up being overwhelmed that we got to be there. I love the freedom of being able to order what I want, when I want, without worrying.

*Make sure you understand the way the tickets work before having a TS meal. First day there, even after 4 trips, I had to have a server re-run a ticket so I could tip her by charging it back to the room. The first ticket they bring you is the TIP. You have to fill out and sign that one before they bring you the ticket that says how many TS credits you have left. At least that was the way it worked for me. That first meal took over TWO HOURS to get everything straightened out (slow server, busy time I hess?) so it might help you to know how things work before dining.

*Favorite meals were CRT for atmosphere, Ohana for characters and service, 50's in HS was great for my mom/retro style!

*It also helped me at the end of the week to know that at the resort, they counted 2 snacks as One QS meal credit. We ended up with way too many (and still had a lot of food) and they let me pick up snacks to take home to completely use up the credits.

*World showcase - snacking "around the world" was a great activity for us, along with the Perry stamps and the international showcase holiday passport (free in the promenade gift shops). The best thing we had through the week, bar none, was the goat cheese and spinach quiche in France. I asked the server what his favorite thing was and he told me this quiche but asked if I was okay with goat cheese. Having never had it before, we decided to be adventurous and didn't regret it! The eclairs were good also, as always, and the new gelato shop was packed so assume it was great also! Runners up for best things in international showcase were the nachos in Mexico, school bread in Norway (also they had a cute Olaf cookie/marshmallow treat that dd loved) and the American Adventure QS was all very good!

Stuff:

*Packing souvenirs from home was the way to go! If you have the space, you can make a magical trip out of items found at 5 Below, Target clearance racks, or even the Dollar Store. We told my 7yo dd that each night Mickey brings "surprises" to the room for kids who behave well in the park. Each night she would race back to the resort to see what Mickey had left her. I also wrote up little notes to go with each night's "surprises" before leaving home and added those so a special note from M.M. each night was a highlight for her! (Ex: "I hope you enjoyed Hollywood Studios today- Toy Story Mania's my favorite! Get to bed because you have another big day tomorrow! Love, M.M.") The stuff I bought from home was way cheaper and sometimes better quality than some of the park stuff you buy there. Plus it made a great way to convince her quickly it was time to hit the bus for "home" instead of riding "just one more thing!"

*Stroller-free was much easier than I thought. This was our first trip sans stroller and I was afraid the complaining and whining (and blisters?) would make me want to rush for stroller rental. But honestly, the expectation was lived up to by reality. If the kid knows there's a lot of walking, they don't expect to be hauled around everywhere. I also noticed that sometimes stroller parking was seemingly a LONG way away from an attraction. Nothing like rushing right in without having to "park" anything! My 7 yo did great and did not complain ONCE about the walking, even after hiking all the way around World Showcase on the last day. Something we did notice- some 12 year olds have it made! Of course I realize there are always special circumstances, so I'm not being judgmental at all, but there were times my 7 yo would comment, "that kid in the stroller is way bigger than me, Mommy- do you think he/she is 10 yet?" Like I said, we would always comment that you never know someone's situation so maybe they had a special reason for needing it; but if you have a healthy kid, I recommend ditching the stroller and letting them be proud of themselves for being big kids. It makes getting to attractions easier and honestly, I was thankful I didn't have to navigate the crowds while being worried about taking out someone's ankles!

*Magic Bands are awesome. With very little exception, we loved the convenience and ease of use. The only time they bugged me was in MK when *EVERY* snack cart's scanner was down. We were told they were on the same wireless in the parks that guests use and that it cannot support the bandwidth of all the users at times. This made it seem like they were hoping we would pay cash for the stuff instead of using the DDP, but within 40 minutes all was rectified and we were able to get our snacks after an attraction. For FP+, room entry, charging privileges, etc, they were wonderful.

Rides:

*Prone to motion sickness people come in all shapes and sizes. I can get motion sick in the front seat of a car. However, I rode Star Tours twice and Soarin' without any troubles. I think the secret for me is that the rides that don't actually GO anywhere are okay for me. I can always close my eyes. DD has motion sickness issues also and was afraid on Soarin' but did fine. Enjoyed ST enough to want a second ride. Rode Test Track once, however, and it was nearly the apocalypse for my lunch. Never making that mistake again. LOL

*Lines- FP+ anything that is a must do. Even if you think rope drop lines won't be bad (they were not bad for us) sometimes they surprise you. There was a day we were in Epcot when Test Track had a 90 minute wait when we got there just a few minutes after RD. Also had to explain to DD that multiple rides meant taking time away from other things- but sometimes it was a must for her that we ride twice because she was afraid the first time. It never occurred to me until a couple of days in that in this scenario it made sense to standby the first time, then save the FP if she wanted a second ride. Who knows why this simple info didn't occur to my brain- I'm blaming it on the pre-Disney holiday preparation, but maybe you can save yourself some wait if you haven't thought of it either?

*The other thing about FP that I didn't understand - again, I'm probably just slow (haha)- ALL THREE FP have to expire before you can add another, and then you *CAN ONLY* add another from a kiosk, not the app. Seems simple; was kind of a tough concept for me- I was used to the old system of one being used up and being able to get another right away. Honestly I found that for our family the best bet was to just use the 3 I had already planned and then do standby for everything else. Getting to a kiosk and waiting in line only to find that anything "good" that you want is already given out for the day was kind of a bummer.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time to go to Disney and this was my mom's first trip on-property. As usual Disney DID NOT disappoint! Personally - I know you don't see people think this often- for me it is the VALUE of Disney that makes it a repeat vacation. I live in Central North Carolina. I have mountains and beaches. For less than I can spend per day to go to Myrtle Beach and do anything, I can do Disney and have my days filled with fun and activities that are paid for upfront so I don't have the worry of my ever-dwindling vacation fund. Our trip was right at $100 pp/per day for room, food, and park tickets. We spent a couple of hundred more than that total over the course of the week for "MUST HAVE" items, tips, etc- but honestly, I can't do any vacation for much less than that unless I'm willing to stay at the cheapest place in town with a free breakfast and not do much but lounge by the pool. Not saying that Disney isn't expensive, but for me, the value of what I get far outweighs the cost, especially when I budget carefully, take souvenirs from home, and use the off-season rates to my advantage.

I know there's a lot of negative stuff on here about Disney, but 24 hours post-trip, I can honestly say there is NO WAY I wouldn't go back to Disney again in a heartbeat!

Wow, that's already a lot of info- sorry to be overwhelming! Just hoping some of our experience will help others. :dance3:

Love your random musings! I love to do these myself, so I appreciate when others do.

Just as a note Broadway is next to Jazz. Furthest from the buses is Country as I recall.

Glad to hear the Music food court looks great - we're going next month (requested Broadway 3rd floor)

Just back from a week trip with my mom (62) and 7 yo dd- Girl's trip! :cheer2:

A few musings that might benefit someone else (hopefully!) -

Resorts:

*All Star Music was very nice. Theming was cute and personally I prefer the Disney-esque touch at the All Stars to even the moderate, more "upscale" theming. Only troubles were that I had a package delivered to the resort that was not delivered to the room in a timely manner. Took a few calls to get it, but it still was delivered on the first day we arrived. Just could've been handled a little quicker - or at least handled in the way I was promised. Other thing was that we requested close to buses, jazz section, 3rd floor. We got Broadway, 1st floor, the furthest room from buses- so room requests obviously aren't always honored. Still a great resort and nothing much to complain about at all!

*Food court was amazing! So glad to see the reburb was open when we were there as we took advantage of it a couple of times. Food was all very good- our favorite was the make-your-own-salad with salmon, chicken or beef. My dd said the mac and cheese and pizza were also good, and there were plenty of healthy options as well.

*You can get sweet tea at the resorts! I know this was a question I saw on the boards before we go and being a Southern tea fan, sweet tea was a MUST. It wasn't bad tea, either, but the dispensers kind of hide so you have to look. Also my diabetic mom found that unsweet tea was not too tough to find (only a couple of places she asked didn't have it)- but if you are looking for the PINK sweetener, pick up a couple of packs if you find it. She went to a few restaurants that only had the blue stuff (sorry I don't know the names) and the blue kind gives my mom migraines.

*Sponges with dish soap dried and cut up before the trip were invaluable for washing resort mugs! I dropped my mug's lid accidentally in the food court to the floor and was grateful for a way to wash it with some soap.

*If you're there at Christmas, consider decorating your window! We took lights and some Dollar Store window clings and got many compliments from others who noticed the decor. It doesn't take up much space to really bring some holiday cheer into the resort- both for your family and for others!

Food:

*LOVE DDP, especially when FD is in effect. CRT was my mom's favorite and she was actually tearing up being overwhelmed that we got to be there. I love the freedom of being able to order what I want, when I want, without worrying.

*Make sure you understand the way the tickets work before having a TS meal. First day there, even after 4 trips, I had to have a server re-run a ticket so I could tip her by charging it back to the room. The first ticket they bring you is the TIP. You have to fill out and sign that one before they bring you the ticket that says how many TS credits you have left. At least that was the way it worked for me. That first meal took over TWO HOURS to get everything straightened out (slow server, busy time I hess?) so it might help you to know how things work before dining.

*Favorite meals were CRT for atmosphere, Ohana for characters and service, 50's in HS was great for my mom/retro style!

*It also helped me at the end of the week to know that at the resort, they counted 2 snacks as One QS meal credit. We ended up with way too many (and still had a lot of food) and they let me pick up snacks to take home to completely use up the credits.

*World showcase - snacking "around the world" was a great activity for us, along with the Perry stamps and the international showcase holiday passport (free in the promenade gift shops). The best thing we had through the week, bar none, was the goat cheese and spinach quiche in France. I asked the server what his favorite thing was and he told me this quiche but asked if I was okay with goat cheese. Having never had it before, we decided to be adventurous and didn't regret it! The eclairs were good also, as always, and the new gelato shop was packed so assume it was great also! Runners up for best things in international showcase were the nachos in Mexico, school bread in Norway (also they had a cute Olaf cookie/marshmallow treat that dd loved) and the American Adventure QS was all very good!

Stuff:

*Packing souvenirs from home was the way to go! If you have the space, you can make a magical trip out of items found at 5 Below, Target clearance racks, or even the Dollar Store. We told my 7yo dd that each night Mickey brings "surprises" to the room for kids who behave well in the park. Each night she would race back to the resort to see what Mickey had left her. I also wrote up little notes to go with each night's "surprises" before leaving home and added those so a special note from M.M. each night was a highlight for her! (Ex: "I hope you enjoyed Hollywood Studios today- Toy Story Mania's my favorite! Get to bed because you have another big day tomorrow! Love, M.M.") The stuff I bought from home was way cheaper and sometimes better quality than some of the park stuff you buy there. Plus it made a great way to convince her quickly it was time to hit the bus for "home" instead of riding "just one more thing!"

*Stroller-free was much easier than I thought. This was our first trip sans stroller and I was afraid the complaining and whining (and blisters?) would make me want to rush for stroller rental. But honestly, the expectation was lived up to by reality. If the kid knows there's a lot of walking, they don't expect to be hauled around everywhere. I also noticed that sometimes stroller parking was seemingly a LONG way away from an attraction. Nothing like rushing right in without having to "park" anything! My 7 yo did great and did not complain ONCE about the walking, even after hiking all the way around World Showcase on the last day. Something we did notice- some 12 year olds have it made! Of course I realize there are always special circumstances, so I'm not being judgmental at all, but there were times my 7 yo would comment, "that kid in the stroller is way bigger than me, Mommy- do you think he/she is 10 yet?" Like I said, we would always comment that you never know someone's situation so maybe they had a special reason for needing it; but if you have a healthy kid, I recommend ditching the stroller and letting them be proud of themselves for being big kids. It makes getting to attractions easier and honestly, I was thankful I didn't have to navigate the crowds while being worried about taking out someone's ankles!

*Magic Bands are awesome. With very little exception, we loved the convenience and ease of use. The only time they bugged me was in MK when *EVERY* snack cart's scanner was down. We were told they were on the same wireless in the parks that guests use and that it cannot support the bandwidth of all the users at times. This made it seem like they were hoping we would pay cash for the stuff instead of using the DDP, but within 40 minutes all was rectified and we were able to get our snacks after an attraction. For FP+, room entry, charging privileges, etc, they were wonderful.

Rides:

*Prone to motion sickness people come in all shapes and sizes. I can get motion sick in the front seat of a car. However, I rode Star Tours twice and Soarin' without any troubles. I think the secret for me is that the rides that don't actually GO anywhere are okay for me. I can always close my eyes. DD has motion sickness issues also and was afraid on Soarin' but did fine. Enjoyed ST enough to want a second ride. Rode Test Track once, however, and it was nearly the apocalypse for my lunch. Never making that mistake again. LOL

*Lines- FP+ anything that is a must do. Even if you think rope drop lines won't be bad (they were not bad for us) sometimes they surprise you. There was a day we were in Epcot when Test Track had a 90 minute wait when we got there just a few minutes after RD. Also had to explain to DD that multiple rides meant taking time away from other things- but sometimes it was a must for her that we ride twice because she was afraid the first time. It never occurred to me until a couple of days in that in this scenario it made sense to standby the first time, then save the FP if she wanted a second ride. Who knows why this simple info didn't occur to my brain- I'm blaming it on the pre-Disney holiday preparation, but maybe you can save yourself some wait if you haven't thought of it either?

*The other thing about FP that I didn't understand - again, I'm probably just slow (haha)- ALL THREE FP have to expire before you can add another, and then you *CAN ONLY* add another from a kiosk, not the app. Seems simple; was kind of a tough concept for me- I was used to the old system of one being used up and being able to get another right away. Honestly I found that for our family the best bet was to just use the 3 I had already planned and then do standby for everything else. Getting to a kiosk and waiting in line only to find that anything "good" that you want is already given out for the day was kind of a bummer.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time to go to Disney and this was my mom's first trip on-property. As usual Disney DID NOT disappoint! Personally - I know you don't see people think this often- for me it is the VALUE of Disney that makes it a repeat vacation. I live in Central North Carolina. I have mountains and beaches. For less than I can spend per day to go to Myrtle Beach and do anything, I can do Disney and have my days filled with fun and activities that are paid for upfront so I don't have the worry of my ever-dwindling vacation fund. Our trip was right at $100 pp/per day for room, food, and park tickets. We spent a couple of hundred more than that total over the course of the week for "MUST HAVE" items, tips, etc- but honestly, I can't do any vacation for much less than that unless I'm willing to stay at the cheapest place in town with a free breakfast and not do much but lounge by the pool. Not saying that Disney isn't expensive, but for me, the value of what I get far outweighs the cost, especially when I budget carefully, take souvenirs from home, and use the off-season rates to my advantage.

I know there's a lot of negative stuff on here about Disney, but 24 hours post-trip, I can honestly say there is NO WAY I wouldn't go back to Disney again in a heartbeat!

Wow, that's already a lot of info- sorry to be overwhelming! Just hoping some of our experience will help others. :dance3:

I didn't know the All Stars offered package delivery to the room - when we stay at Pop Century, we have to pick up our stuff in the gift shop.

Also, using standby and then saving the FP for a second ride (if wanted?) doesn't make sense to me. If your daughter didn't want to ride again, then that would have been a wasted FP, wouldn't it? Also, how would you manage the timing of the FP window with the standby time? Sounds way too complicated for me :)

Sorry you didn't get your room request, but like you stated, they are just requests. We have given up on making requests as we have rarely gotten them. One funny thing is that on our last 3 stays at Pop Century we were put in the same building each time! On our second trip our room was right next door to the room we had on our first trip. The only request I make is to not be facing a pool. Too loud, and the chlorine smell gets to me.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Glad your daughter was able to do without a stroller, as I agree it is much easier to get about without one. My girls did without when they were 5, but we go for long trips and take our time. I do not miss wrangling a stroller onto a bus, that's for certain.

Do you have your next trip planned yet? ;)

I didn't know the All Stars offered package delivery to the room - when we stay at Pop Century, we have to pick up our stuff in the gift shop.

I think they were talking about packages mailed to the resort. They will usually deliver those to the room at Pop Century. I had a couple packages mailed to PC and they were delivered to my room.

4 adults; 1 with gluten intolerance dietary restriction

1. personal attention by the chefs at all our TS was awesome! At BOMA, the chef went back and whipped up a plate of tortilla chips to enjoy the hummus from the buffet because he wanted her to enjoy more than the veggie option for dipping
2. All Star Movies was wonderful (as always) except for carpet. Boy, it sure could use a good cleaning. The carpet was so worn in our Mighty Ducks room the print of the weave was invisible in several large sections. I wore flip flops because I wasn't sure how clean it was:eek:Interesting in that our survey post-trip didn't give us a question to detail this issue.
3. Food court amazing as always. Love the choices, friendliness of staff, and speed.
4. Whoopi Goldberg was Narrator of the CP we saw and she was great. Her ad-lib editorial ending speech was gracious and inspiring.
5. Favorite meals: Be Our Guest lunch, Ohana dinner and St. Angel lunch in Mexico--a real gem.
6. Meal we will take a break from: Biergarten. Expensive, not on our Tables in Wonderland plan, and buffet lines were insane. Felt like a herd moving through rather than a top-shelf dining establishment. They seriously need to re-engineer the buffet layout or add a few more sections. It was chaos.
7. Bring ponchos. We had a heavy mist one day at MK and so so many folks walking around totally soaked.
8. New this trip and totally worth it: 7 dwarfs mine ride, Be Our Guest Lunch, The reading with Belle thing that takes you through her family home
9.Champagne lagoon-side while watching Illuminations--do it
10. rope-drop at EPCOT allowed us to do Soarin twice in 20 minutes:woohoo:
11. They were out of ladies Large zip up hoodies already: the reversible black solid/red-black-gold plaid with Mickey logo, which I found disappointing considering how early in the month it was. I inquired at the parks and at our resort and all the CMs could say is "...yes, we're all out of that size":confused3
12. Our Tables in Wonderland card continued to add value to our trips: cost $100 and the 4 of us saved $232 this trip. Since it's good through January 2016, we'll see even more $avings accumulated.
13. We saw the most construction in MK and AK we'd ever experienced and it was distracting and disappointing because of how huge the areas were in each park. Many of the AK photo spots were completely ruined and MK had that horrible strip of construction running through the park just past Main street.
Finally, the magic bands were wonderful and trust me, I had my doubts. Very convenient, easy to use, and we actually had an additional FP+ added one day without doing anything:wizard:

6. Meal we will take a break from: Biergarten. Expensive, not on our Tables in Wonderland plan, and buffet lines were insane. Felt like a herd moving through rather than a top-shelf dining establishment. They seriously need to re-engineer the buffet layout or add a few more sections.

Not to hijack the thread, but Biergarten IS on the Tables in Wonderland. I used my card there last month, and just double checked to make sure it still is on TiW and it is.

You are right, however, We ate there as the CP package and they would not accept our TIW for it. I guess I just wasn't expecting them to have no discounts either with TIW or our AP. I probably didn't read all the fine print, still, the other issues I mentioned were a major disappointment this trip.

So glad you and your first time mother had a wonderful visit. Sometimes the Disney stars just align right as they did for you.

I'm so glad you had such a great time. It honestly seems like even though you went at a busy time, you knew that going in, and really had no complaints about being super busy or long lines. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

LOVE you ideas about taking Christmas decorations along for your room window, and leaving "surprises" from Mickey in the room for your daughter to find on return each day! What a way to add magic to your trip. I think if I did that my daughter would want to leave the parks early each day... :)

My DD also walked everywhere starting at age 5. Granted she's generally a good walker - we regularly walk places at home too. I was really grateful for that, as dealing with the hassle of a stroller would have been annoying to me.

And I really hear you about the overall value of Disney. Of course it's expensive on the one hand, but compared to other vacations you could take, there's really a lot of bang for your buck (IF you spend wisely). Glad you had an overall good trip!

I love random musings! Thanks for sharing. The Christmas lights in the window is such a great idea. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter