• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Just back from Hilton Grand Vacation Club, any questions?/

Ahrizel

Mouseketeer
Spent a week, Dec. 2 to 8. Did Disney and Seaworld, stayed at the HGVC and had a wonderful time. Any questions?

Hi,

Please tell me everything you can about Hilton Grand Vacation Club as my sister is staying there June/July 2002 through an exchange with RCI.

I have stayed in many places in Orlando with Interval International exchanges however this one is not in our book and we know absolutely nothing about it only that it seems really good.

Any info would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

This was our first stay at a timeshare, it has spoiled us for the future I think. We had a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom unit. Master bedroom had a king bed with a large jacuzzi in the room. The master bathroom had a seperate shower. 2nd bedroom had 2 double beds. 3rd bedroom had a queen bed, sleeper sofa, and a small fridge and microwave. The 3rd bedroom had a bathroom in suite, and could have functioned as a lockout if there was an outside entrance. 3rd bathroom was in the hallway outside of the 2nd bedroom. All bedrooms had a tv and vcr. Full kitchen-fridge, micro, stove, dishwasher, toaster, blender and service for 8. There were more plates and glasses in the 3rd bedroom if you had a larger group. 2 barstools were at the kitchen counter. Table and 8 chairs in the living room, 2 couches(one a sleeper sofa), and 2 comfy chairs in the living room. One small patio of the 3rd bedroom with 2 chairs, and a larger patio with 4 chairs and a table off of the living room that was also accesible from the master bedroom. Both patios were screened. Several ceiling fans in the unit. Big screen tv, ~60 inches, with a vcr and stereo/cd system in the living room. Bright colored bermuda decor. Closets in all bedrooms, with extra linens. Stacked washer/dryer, broom and vacuum cleaner in a utility closet off the main hallway.
There were 3 pools. The parrish pool was next to our building, a basic rectangular pool with jacuzzi and kiddie pool seperate. 2 more pools next to the clubhouse, one like ours, and one much bigger and fancier with a waterfall. We had what looked like a lively activity schedule, but we didn't attend any, so I can't comment on them. Very close to Seaworld, we could look out our balcony and see the Christmas tree-actually the skyride tower with lights all done up, very nice.
Our set up would have slept 6-8 with decent privacy, and probably 10 a little more cramped. The rooms were gorgeous, lots of space and privacy and the washer and dryer were great to have. I thought the place allover was fantastic and I would happily stay there again. Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.

As for general location, it is right across the street from SeaWorld, and practically next to the new Marriott Horizons timeshare resort.

Yup, it is right across the street from Seaworld. As for getting to the parks from it, was easy. Pick up I-4, take it to the Disney exits. We usually just got off at the first Disney exit, as the traffic and crowds seem to increase the further down you went. Traffic on I-4 is heavy, but not a problem. Say, 10-15 minutes before you are at the parks, depending on which park. We drove to Seaworld, though we could have walked. Wanted to save our aching feet, and since we have annual Seaworld passes there was no parking fees. Could see the buildings of HGVC from the Seaworld parking lot. Any more questions just ask.

If you consider purchasing a timeshare, I recommend that you add Disney Vacation Club to your list. DVC allows members to purchase a real estate interest in an actual Disney resort, but also delivers flexibility in the membership by allowing members to use "points" as their means of currency in everything from length of stay, to size of accommodations, to time of the year. You also are not rigidly locked into a specific property. Meaning...you can "own" at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, but use your points at any Disney resort you wish AND at over 300 high quality, resort and hotel destinations worldwide.

I've been a member since '99 and it's been great!!! DVC has information centers and desks throughout the WDW property (one in each resort, two in every theme park and an information center at the Village Marketplace and West End at Downtown Disney.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Ahrizel, thanks for the post. My family and I have 2 rooms at the HGVC in February. A couple of questions for you. Are there multiple buildings? I heard that the entire development is new so is there any reason to want one over the other? Any preference on which floor to stay on? Are the pools heated? How about the resturants, did you use them? If you went to Seaworld did you walk? Is there anything within walking distance as far as stores/resturants? Did you try the resort movie theater? In addition to our week we signed up for the three day promo so we're going to have to sit through a presentation. Did you do this? Thanks for the help.

there are separate building - if they are still doing construction (they were adding on last year) ask to be as far from the construction as possible. We didn't - our view was of the construction interesting but not great

I think this road is called Seaworld pwk at the end is International Blvd. this becomes 536 which then becomes Epcot Center Drive - so if the I-4 is busy during rush hour - this is also available. It takes around 12 min to 20 min (depending upon the lights) generally no traffic on this part of the International Blvd.

I really love their TV's and VCR - Disney, in their DVC studio at WDW, does not have a VCR - the TV is also a lot bigger in the Hilton studios. however the studio itself was smaller than the ones at DVC. the HVC also has alot more channels on their TV than Disney.

I love Disney - I have been member of DVC since 93. but Hilton definitely has some advantages.

2 of the pools are heated, the Parrish pool, which we used, and the main fancy pool by the clubhouse.The pools were quite warm(to me), felt like bathwater. The jacuzzi was very hot, most of group thought you could boil lobster in them!! Not a complaint, felt wonderful after a day at the park. There are multiple buildings, we were in building 7, Devonshire. The Parrish pool was right behind our building. There were 6 floors in our building(which looked to be the setup in all of them) and we were on 4th floor. Can't say I would have major preference as to floors except to be up higher, nice views. The walk to Seaworld is probably about 15-20 minutes, but we drove everywhere. There were no stores of restaurants really close, probably about a mile or so. There was a publix about 2 miles away, easy to get to in a shopping plaza with other stores and fast food places. It was on the central florida parkway. We didn't rent the theatre, I think it was $20 including the movie. Didn't have to take the presentation, so no comments on that. They did call us the first morning, but weren't too bad. Didn't bother us after that. We're not members at HGVC, so I don't know there system. But everything I've read about them suggested they don't do too much of a hard sell. Some of the buildings I think were newer, Devonshire wasn't but frankly I really couldn't notice. The whole thing was only started around '95 I believe so it's relatively new.They are doing construction of some sort, but I really didn't notice it from our building. Any more questions I'll be happy to answer.

We have 2 weeks at HGVC. You have a similar point system (platinum, gold and silver weeks) that need more points than others. You pay a yearly maintaince fee and membership fee. For a 1 br condo (sleeps 4) this ends up being about $500/year. You can exchange with other HGVC properties, like Las Vegas, Miami, Hawaii on Ohau and Maui. There are 15 resorts in FL, plus Colorado, Mexico and Scotland. You can convert your points to Hilton Honor Points and use them any ANY hotel in the Hilton chain WORLD WIDE! This includes all Hiltons, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Homewoods and Conrads. You can also exchange with RCI, or use points for Airline cert., Backroads Bike/hike/raft trips, Cruise America Motor Homes, Houseboats, or Norwegian Cruise line, which has trips from 3 to 21 days, and Dozens of ports of call! (I have also been on 2 DCL cruises!!)

The true advantage over DVC to me is this is real estate that, as long as you keep up the fees, WILL BE YOURS FROM NOW ON!! IT DOES NOT "END" IN 40 YEARS!!!

The 2 weeks I have at HGVC I can will as part of my estate to my kids. If I'm going to spend 15-20k for a time share plus yearly fees I want it to be something lasting.

We stayed at HGVC this summer. I clocked it as about 20-25min from doorstep to park entrance. We stayed at CSR earlier this month, and using the bus system it was on the average 20-30min from hotel room to park entrance. We are AP holders and got a $89/nite for a room at CSR. In open season (30 days prior to depature) I can get the 1br condo (3 times the room!) for $80/nite. The master bedroom has door to close, so you have a little privacy. The CSR room we just had to be "quiet!!" (wink!!)

The staff at CSR was quite nice, but the HGVC staff also accomidated us. They also play the same "DISNEY TV" programs at HGVC. I don't feel as if I missed out on any "Disney Magic" by staying off-site!

We are staying in the 3BR Penthouse suite in June 2002. We will have 10 of us. We checked it out and it will have plenty of room for all of us! About 2500 square feet (as big as my house!)

I looked at both programs before I bought, and the Hilton program offers so much more for your money! JMHO!

My DH travels quite a bit and had racked up HH points. We are staying over NYE at the Hampton Inn West on POINTS! Stay over a holiday will cost us NOTHING!! They have a continential bkfst, Microwave and Frige in the rooms.

I would visit both programs (and Marriot's too) before deciding!

Jacquelyn :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter