Just back from HH

VMS

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a six night stay at HH (4/9 - 4/15). This was our fifth trip at this time of year -- we stayed one extra night (on cash), and still the trip seems too short. The weather was beautiful -- we now have stayed there for 31 days without one rainy day. Apparently they had a major brief storm (heavy rain, high winds, hail) the day before. We noticed as we approached the resort (and by the way, the Disney sign on 278 is no longer there) some tree branches down. A tree had fallen on building 28, and they were working on that on Sunday morning when we arrived. I heard they moved some people to the Westin. We checked in at 10:30, and our room was ready - 1522. We were in 1521 last year. We love the location of 14 and 15 -- right on that boardwalk.

As usual, the CMs there are the best. Last year they were in-between naturalists, now they have two and they are very good. A number of new activities. B'Lou was greeting the guests outside the lodge on Sunday afternoon as they went in to check in. No Shadow -- couldn't find him. Said Shadow also did not make it to "Shadow's Tale's" on that Thursday before, and they also could not round up Shadow for our "Shadow's Tale's" on Thursday. I noticed on the activity sheet for this week, for "Shadow's Tale's" they changed it and eliminated the bit about meeting Shadow and having your picture taken with her. This was the first year we were not able to do that -- we have one from every year. We missed her.

We did kayaking -- a little windy but fun -- saw dolphins along the way. Lots of bike riding, my daughter did some crafts and the unbirthday party, we did the DVC Micks "ear" (met Cuise-o-matic and his wife), the kids did the kids night out movie. Places we ate were Fuddruckers (have to have one of those burgers when we are there), Aunt Chiladas, Wild Wing (lost a retainer there), Old Fort Pub (went on kid's night out -- a top-notch restaurant), Sea Shack (great seafood -- we went twice we all liked it so much), Just Pasta (a must every trip followed by Rita's for dessert), Signe's bakerey (brough home some pound cake for souvenirs). This was the first time we did not go to Captain's Seafood. We like it there a lot too, but we opted for Sea Shack a second time. Captain's has now moved to Coligny. Also, we never go there, but they were all talking about how the Cracker Barrel is no longer open, that it just suddenly closed.

As said, the CM's are the best. They really go out of your way to make your stay special. I am always amazed at how they learn the kid's names with so many kids flowing in and out of there. My daughter still loves the campfires. She got to ring the bell on the night we got there, that made her really happy. They had some new songs that were really fun too.

The resort is pretty much always at capacity each year we go (one year we had a March break, and I don't think it was sold out). It never before seemed "crowded". This year it definitely seemed like there were many more people there. There were many more kids than the past years. My only complaint is the people who obnoxiously "save" the pool chairs. They go down and throw towels and other items to "reserve" them for some later time in the day. I am not talking about people who have gotten up to swim, get something at the snack bar, play ping pong, etc. I am talking about people who do not show up for hours. It was a glaring fact our first day at the pool, when just about every chair was "taken", and I estimate about only 20% of the people actually at the pool area. We would see people at the pool, "save" chairs, and then go back to their villa for hours. What is that about? I think the CM's at Disney are going to have to address this. When needed, we did move the towels and take the chairs. That was my only complaint about the vacation -- otherwise another wonderful trip.

Happy to answer any questions.

:wave: We were there last week also! It was a beautiful week and it flew by. We can't wait to go back again. I have not gathered everything up to post a report just quite yet. Our gang was real sad about Shadow also. :guilty: We were hoping B'lou was going to have the kids call for Shadow and she was going to come out.

Glad you had a great week as well. We drove down in the horrible weather last Saturday, took us 12 hours to travel what should have been 9. :crazy:

Thanks for taking us to Hilton Head with you. This was the first time in probably 6 or 7 years that we didn't spend out spring break at Hilton Head and I miss it!

I wonder if Shadow got to go to Cancun for her Spring Break this year??? paw: :woohoo:

Can't wait to hear from everyone else that was there!

Disneyaholic said:
Thanks for taking us to Hilton Head with you. This was the first time in probably 6 or 7 years that we didn't spend out spring break at Hilton Head and I miss it!

I wonder if Shadow got to go to Cancun for her Spring Break this year??? paw: :woohoo:

Can't wait to hear from everyone else that was there!
First spring break in several years we've missed it too-and I do mean missed it! So thanks so much. And no rain? We're taking you with us on our next trip. One year it rained and was windy all week. OK for us, but I'm sure people with young children were really getting crazy!
Please tell us more specifics about Old Fort Pub, Sea Shack, and Signe's. These are 3 places we really want to try. Was it crowded when you went to any of those places? What time of day did you go? What did you have? Hope I see some of you when we go for Thanksgiving this year (can you tell I'm sooo excited about it?)

Simba's Mom -- I always would read your posts of your March trips to get psyched up for our upcoming trips. Two years ago we had a March break and I think we went the week after you. They said that it poured most of the week before us, and we had a beautiful sunny week, they said unusual for March. Also, I believe last year you were one of the last people (if not the last) to have enjoyed A Private Affair. We were scheduled for it last year (would have been our fourth annual), and we heard of people being emailed by Chef Gordon with him cancelling -- I think you had yours and we were hopeful that he would not cancel on us, but he did shortly before our trip.

Anyhow, Old Fort Pub was beautiful, great service and great food. We got to HH on Sunday and the CM said there was one spot for the kid's night (Monday) the younger kids so we signed our DD up as well as our 2 DSs for the teen one. My DH asked Gordon where we should go, and he suggested Old Fort Pub. Since we only called the day of (Monday) and were limited in that we couldn't go before 6:30, we could only get in the pub area. The main dining room is beautiful and has a beautiful sunset view. That would have been preferred, but we were just happy to be there, and walked out onto the deck for the sunset. Service was exceptional. I had a lamb and goat cheese ravioli in a light tomato, vegetable sauce -- excellent. Also had a great chocolate dessert. My husband had I believe a seafood medly dish. I was too entranced in my meal to pay attention to what he was eating! Just a wonderful evening. The Sea Shack is a dive and we loved it. Many locals there. Lot's of seafood choices (and alligator), and you can have everything grilled, fried, or blackened. We ate there twice -- had planned on doing Captain's Seafood one of the times, but everyone opted for a second time at Sea Shack. Sea Shack had clam strips, which two of my kids love, and they got it both times. Captain's has never had that. You also at Sea Shack get two sides with your meal. Lots of local things (red beans and rice, sweet potato cornbread, etc.) I got parmesan garlic mashed potatoes and coleslaw the first time (grilled haddock as my entree) and a small salad and ranch mashed potatoes the second time. The second time I got the "shack attack" as my main entree -- grilled shrimp, scallops, tilapia, oysters (subbed more shrimp for this) and crabcake. The crabcake was good (not as special as Chef Gordon's though). The second time we ate was Good Friday, and it was very slow service -- I think there were a lot of phone orders. You place your order, then sit, and they bring it to you. Signe's was really good too. I had the blackberry stuffed french toast -- very good. Someone who goes there often told me that the breakfast polenta is delicious too. They are known for there poundcakes, I placed an order the day before we were leaving to bring some home with us, we gave some as souvenirs. We now are eating the Thunder and Lightning one -- a lemon pound cake with chunks of chocolate in it -- so much for being good when we get back from the vacation! My friend opened the chocolate one we brought back for them and she said that was excellent. With the breakfast they also give a fresh fruit salad that was excellent. They also had a nice assortment of things for lunch -- different tarts and salads that all looked great in the display case.

Hope this was helpful. I would definitely recommend all three.

We were at HH 2 weeks ago & did were able to see Shadow, both @ check-in on
Sunday & at her meet & greet.
We noticed she is really getting on--isn't she 12 yo? She seemed in good health.

I understand the week of St Patrick's Day the weather had it's wet 'n' wild moments, too--so you (& we were, too!) pretty lucky! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the trip report!

Jean

Great to meet you VMS and Mr. VMS too! We'll be back next year, so we'll have to get the DD's together.

The resort didn't seem that crowded. The shuttle driver said it was at 100% that week, but that could mean that every room was in use during the week, but not every room, every night. We learned our lesson that we need to sign up for the activities upon arrival. DD missed out on the KNO's and was disappointed.

Ditto on the towel saving. I meant to say something to Richey, the program director. We moved a few towels to take a vacant chair while we were there. Not to mention, chairs being saved for the kids, who spent 90% of their time in the pool or playing the games.

We had a blast and really enjoyed the R&R. I'd much rather spend my Spring Breaks at HHI than at WDW.

Latest posts

facebook twitter