June/July 2017 NY/DC/BOSTON/CANADA/D23 Expo PTR

lffamDSon

DS of lffam. Disney, Marvel and STAR WARS!
Welcome to our Pre Trip Report for our upcoming trip to the States. As some of you know, my dad, lffam, just finished our Trip Report for our Disney Christmas trip, check it out here.

The Who

DH (lffam), DW, DS13 (me, I’ll be 14 when we leave)

DSC_0235_zps4ryyyxn0.jpg

We are planning to go back to New York and Washington, just because there are so many things there that we want to do, as well as LA for D23 Expo (Disney’s bi-annual expo) and Disneyland. We are also planning to go to Boston, and be there for 4th July and see a Red Sox game. Also Canada, as we have heard from friends that for Niagara Falls, it is best to stay on the Canadian side.

Let’s get into some nitty gritty.

Itinerary
We are there from in June & July for a month or so.
We will be flying Qantas (thanks to some points upgrades)

We are still working out exact dates for where we go, but these places are locked in. We have to revolve around New York, as that is the flight’s destination/our base city.

BNE-LAX-JFK
7-8 days in NY
Train to DC
5 days in DC
Train to Boston
5 days in Boston (Independence Day!)
Fly to Niagara (Canadian side) from Boston
2 days Niagara
Fly Niagara to JFK
JFK-LAX
Arrive late night
Disneyland
d23 Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Fly out late Monday

New York
We want to see something on Broadway, since we planned to see something (I said School of Rock) last time, but we didn’t get around to it. Also a few museums, Highline Park, do Brooklyn Bridge the opposite way, bike ride around central park, go to Hell’s Kitchen, go to Marvel (that’s mine), walking food tour, 9/11 Museum, Museum of modern art, empire state building, and more…

Washington DC
Go to the memorials, Arlington, African American history, national archives, house where Lincoln died, JFK thing somewhere, museums, and more…

Boston
Red Sox game (baseball) most likely on July 4, Dad wants to do the Freedom Trail, wahlburgers- mark Wahlberg’s family burger place. We don’t know much about Boston so lots of research to do.

Niagara Falls
We have been told best to go see it from the Canadian side. Don’t know how long, etc, not sure if we could fit in a few days in nearby Canadian city??

Disneyland and d23
We couldn’t do a trip to America without some Disney. This has just been added as of a few days ago, wasn’t part of the original plan, but we thought that we were going to miss d23 by a few days so we had to do it. D23 is Disney’s massive bi-annual celebration of all things Disney. Finding Dory was announced here, the first trailer for Captain America: Civil War was shown here and Star Wars Land was announced here. So it was an offer we could not pass up. Also, next year the highly anticipated Star Wars Episode VIII is premiering, so they will most likely show a trailer here, eek!

We are hoping, but are not getting our hopes up, that Star Wars land will be open, but it is not likely, as they have only started on the first ride this week. And yes, I’m keeping tabs on them (hint: http://micechat.com/)

So please give us tips to master these places, and things you think are worth visiting! We can’t wait for this trip! (I’m so excited, I’m pretending Disneyland is our house)

Last edited:
Lots of planning to still go through, so please let us know your thoughts and ideas.

Sounds great! Unfortunately I haven't been to many of those places, but I can help with Niagara Falls. We went there for 2 nights, and felt a little rushed. There is a HEAP to do in the area. Definitely stay on the Canadian side for a view of the Horseshoe Falls, but it is worth crossing the Rainbow Bridge to the US side to visit the Cave of the Winds attraction over there. Much better than the 'Behind the Falls' experience on the Canadian side, this attraction is right at the base of the American falls, where you will experience the falls close up. If it's a sunny day, there will be rainbows everywhere - just gorgeous! The US side is also a lot greener and more natural than the Canadian side (for a change), and we saw heaps of squirrels.

We basically spent the full day out seeing the falls, starting out at the Clifton Hill area with a ride on the ferris wheel, and walking up to Horseshoe Falls along the river. After lunch we walked back to the Rainbow Bridge and crossed over to the US, did the Cave of Winds, and wandered around over there for a while, then crossed back over the Rainbow Bridge, had dinner at Clifton Hill, and wandered back to the hotel. It's all very walkable, but there are some attractions a bit further afield. We decided not to bother with any of them because it was going to eat into our day too much. We literally had no time there the next day, had to leave the hotel at about 4am to get to the airport on time (we flew in and out of Buffalo).

I've written about it all in more detail and with photos in my 2015 US TR.

Sounds great! Unfortunately I haven't been to many of those places, but I can help with Niagara Falls. We went there for 2 nights, and felt a little rushed. There is a HEAP to do in the area. Definitely stay on the Canadian side for a view of the Horseshoe Falls, but it is worth crossing the Rainbow Bridge to the US side to visit the Cave of the Winds attraction over there. Much better than the 'Behind the Falls' experience on the Canadian side, this attraction is right at the base of the American falls, where you will experience the falls close up. If it's a sunny day, there will be rainbows everywhere - just gorgeous! The US side is also a lot greener and more natural than the Canadian side (for a change), and we saw heaps of squirrels.

We basically spent the full day out seeing the falls, starting out at the Clifton Hill area with a ride on the ferris wheel, and walking up to Horseshoe Falls along the river. After lunch we walked back to the Rainbow Bridge and crossed over to the US, did the Cave of Winds, and wandered around over there for a while, then crossed back over the Rainbow Bridge, had dinner at Clifton Hill, and wandered back to the hotel. It's all very walkable, but there are some attractions a bit further afield. We decided not to bother with any of them because it was going to eat into our day too much. We literally had no time there the next day, had to leave the hotel at about 4am to get to the airport on time (we flew in and out of Buffalo).

I've written about it all in more detail and with photos in my 2015 US TR.

Thanks zanzibar. I will get reading on your trip report. I'm reading a bit about D23 Expo at the moment and trying to toss up if being closer at a non-Disney Hotel will outweigh our love of being immersed in the Disney bubble all around when we are at DLR or WDW. DW is the logical one in this regard, she says take the saving and the closer proximity, but DS & I will miss our Disney hotel and all that comes with it!

Thanks zanzibar. I will get reading on your trip report. I'm reading a bit about D23 Expo at the moment and trying to toss up if being closer at a non-Disney Hotel will outweigh our love of being immersed in the Disney bubble all around when we are at DLR or WDW. DW is the logical one in this regard, she says take the saving and the closer proximity, but DS & I will miss our Disney hotel and all that comes with it!

I've never stayed at a Disney hotel in the US. I'd rather have a longer stay at one of the very reasonable options close by. Of course they're not magical like Disney would be, but I'm guessing that if you're doing D23 you probably won't be spending much time at your hotel anyway.

I've never stayed at a Disney hotel in the US. I'd rather have a longer stay at one of the very reasonable options close by. Of course they're not magical like Disney would be, but I'm guessing that if you're doing D23 you probably won't be spending much time at your hotel anyway.

Of course thats very sound logic. I guess the thing that comes to mind for me is cake and eating it too! LOL

D23 will be a new experience and by reports it can be on the go day & night. We will see I suppose, but like we normally do will find a balance that is right for us, which no doubt will have some down time . We also have some days ever side of the expo for some DLR days.

Starting some research on BOSTON. Has anyone ever been there? Any tips- how long to stay, what to do, etc...Thanks!

Hi, I've lived in Boston for 30 years, and can tell you that July 4th is a great time to be in the city! The whole 4th of July week is chock full of activities, culminating in the Boston Pops playing at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade on the 4th, followed by a spectacular fireworks show over the Charles River, The city will be crowded, and usually hot, so be prepared for crowds. If you want to see the Boston Pops, people will queue overnight to be there when the Hatch Shell opens on the morning of the 4th. They run in when the gates open with picnic blankets, and secure their spots. The concert will also be on our local TV channels. One tradition is the playing of the 1812 Overture, and cannons are fired from one of the Harbor islands. Some of the best viewing places for the fireworks include the bridges on the Charles, both banks of the Charles where people will be lined up 6 deep, or check the harbor cruises, some of them will float up the river for the fireworks.

Another July 4th tradition is the reading of the Declaration of Independence on the morning of the 4th, from the balcony of the Old State House, where it was read to the people of Boston for the first time in 1776. Big deal for the Americans!

And each 4th of July, Old Ironsides, the oldest US commissioned ship, is taken out into the harbor for a swing around the islands, then berthed in the opposite direction so that it weathers evenly on both sides. It's quite an honor to be able to be on the ship when they take it out annually.

Here's a link for July 4 events, although there's not much on it yet for 2017. http://www.july4th.org/Event_Info

As regards general tourism:

- See the Boston Red Sox play at Fenway Park
- Take a duck boat tour or a regular trolley tour around Boston to get your bearings - most leave from Long Wharf/Aquarium
- Boston is a very good walking city; most attractions are no more than a 20 minute walk.
- Take in the Freedom Trail, do a tour of the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides mentioned above), see Paul Revere's house in the North End and the Old North Church
- Walk on Boston Common and cross over in the Boston Gardens - take a Swan Boat ride
- Take a whale watching cruise from Long Wharf
- Eat Italian in the North End
- Eat Asian in Chinatown
- Best seafood places include The Union Oyster House, dating from 1600's, and Legal Seafoods, a chain but very fresh seafood.
- Visit the Museum of Fine Arts and see Impressionism.
- Visit the Isabella Gardner Museum, a beautiful small house museum
- Take the Red Line across the Charles into Cambridge, and visit MIT and Harvard.
- Shop at Faneuil Hall Marketplace
- Visit Back Bay and Trinity Church on Copley Square - shop at Copley and the Prudential Center
- Visit the JFK Library at UMass Boston

A little further afield:

- Visit Salem, the witch town, site of the 1692 Salem Witch Trials.
- Visit the mansions in Newport
- Visit Plymouth to see Plymouth Rock, landing site of the Pilgrims

So, yes, there's plenty to do for five days. Hope this helps, happy to answer specifics.

Hi, I've lived in Boston for 30 years, and can tell you that July 4th is a great time to be in the city! The whole 4th of July week is chock full of activities, culminating in the Boston Pops playing at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade on the 4th, followed by a spectacular fireworks show over the Charles River, The city will be crowded, and usually hot, so be prepared for crowds. If you want to see the Boston Pops, people will queue overnight to be there when the Hatch Shell opens on the morning of the 4th. They run in when the gates open with picnic blankets, and secure their spots. The concert will also be on our local TV channels. One tradition is the playing of the 1812 Overture, and cannons are fired from one of the Harbor islands. Some of the best viewing places for the fireworks include the bridges on the Charles, both banks of the Charles where people will be lined up 6 deep, or check the harbor cruises, some of them will float up the river for the fireworks.

Another July 4th tradition is the reading of the Declaration of Independence on the morning of the 4th, from the balcony of the Old State House, where it was read to the people of Boston for the first time in 1776. Big deal for the Americans!

And each 4th of July, Old Ironsides, the oldest US commissioned ship, is taken out into the harbor for a swing around the islands, then berthed in the opposite direction so that it weathers evenly on both sides. It's quite an honor to be able to be on the ship when they take it out annually.

Here's a link for July 4 events, although there's not much on it yet for 2017. http://www.july4th.org/Event_Info

As regards general tourism:

- See the Boston Red Sox play at Fenway Park
- Take a duck boat tour or a regular trolley tour around Boston to get your bearings - most leave from Long Wharf/Aquarium
- Boston is a very good walking city; most attractions are no more than a 20 minute walk.
- Take in the Freedom Trail, do a tour of the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides mentioned above), see Paul Revere's house in the North End and the Old North Church
- Walk on Boston Common and cross over in the Boston Gardens - take a Swan Boat ride
- Take a whale watching cruise from Long Wharf
- Eat Italian in the North End
- Eat Asian in Chinatown
- Best seafood places include The Union Oyster House, dating from 1600's, and Legal Seafoods, a chain but very fresh seafood.
- Visit the Museum of Fine Arts and see Impressionism.
- Visit the Isabella Gardner Museum, a beautiful small house museum
- Take the Red Line across the Charles into Cambridge, and visit MIT and Harvard.
- Shop at Faneuil Hall Marketplace
- Visit Back Bay and Trinity Church on Copley Square - shop at Copley and the Prudential Center
- Visit the JFK Library at UMass Boston

A little further afield:

- Visit Salem, the witch town, site of the 1692 Salem Witch Trials.
- Visit the mansions in Newport
- Visit Plymouth to see Plymouth Rock, landing site of the Pilgrims

So, yes, there's plenty to do for five days. Hope this helps, happy to answer specifics.

WOW! thanks so much for all the great info. At this stage all we really had on our list for Boston is :

-Freedom Trail
-A trip to Harvard
-Seeing the Red Sox play and Fenway park ( was thinking of doing this on 4th July)
-Faneuil Hall Marketplace
-JFK Library

I am a big US Constitution and Presidential History fan so this is one of the reasons I want to go to Boston. The reading of the Constitution sounds like something I would love to do, and DW & DS might find something else to take their fancy while I do. I'm sure it will be crowded. Do any of the hotels/restaurants have events or good views of the Fourth of July festivities that you know of ?

We often go down for an overnight on the 4th, and we like to stay at a hotel that has a view of the river, either on the Boston or the Cambridge side. After fighting the crowds all day, this allows us to see the fireworks and turn on the TV to get the music. But for a first visit I'd recommend being part of the festivities at ground level, the music is piped up and down the river. We usually end up at the Copley Westin or Copley Marriott and have had no issue booking a river view room. In any case, here's a link to hotels with fireworks viewing:

http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/hotels-for-boston-fireworks.html

And yes, nothing better than a Red Sox game at Fenway on the 4th, assuming they are in town. I just checked the 2017 schedule and unfortunately they are playing the Texas Rangers - in Texas.

The JFK Library is fabulous, but if you are an early President buff, you may also want to visit the Adams Homestead in Quincy, which is a 20 minute ride from downtown on the Red Line to the Quincy center stop.

We often go down for an overnight on the 4th, and we like to stay at a hotel that has a view of the river, either on the Boston or the Cambridge side. After fighting the crowds all day, this allows us to see the fireworks and turn on the TV to get the music. But for a first visit I'd recommend being part of the festivities at ground level, the music is piped up and down the river. We usually end up at the Copley Westin or Copley Marriott and have had no issue booking a river view room. In any case, here's a link to hotels with fireworks viewing:

http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/hotels-for-boston-fireworks.html

And yes, nothing better than a Red Sox game at Fenway on the 4th, assuming they are in town. I just checked the 2017 schedule and unfortunately they are playing the Texas Rangers - in Texas.

The JFK Library is fabulous, but if you are an early President buff, you may also want to visit the Adams Homestead in Quincy, which is a 20 minute ride from downtown on the Red Line to the Quincy center stop.

I had checked the schedule a little over a month a go and it wasn't out, but went back and looked at prior years and it seemed there had been a game on 4th at Fenway the last few years so I thought it would be a good chance. oh well not to worry, as you have said there will be lots to do.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Adams homestead, that would really interest me, as would anything Jefferson related.

Ok it's been a while since we posted on this thread, been too busy following other Disboard'ers tripping all over the place!

It’s time for me to get some more planning done on this trip. Since the last time I posted I have purchased our d23 Expo tickets. This was a little delayed with the issues I had with the whole d23 membership credit card issue that I posted about here . But thankfully that's all sorted now. We also have our hotel booked for DLR. We opted for Disneyland Hotel to soak up the Disney kool-aid a bit more.

We haven't finalised our itinerary yet, while we are 99% set on the places we are going, we have not firmed up exactly how long and which order. There are of course some dates locked in (like d23 Expo & DLR ) but there are still different ways for us to fit everything else in. It doesn't look like we will be able to see a baseball game in Boston at Fenway park now due to the Redsox schedule, so we will likely go and see one in New York . Boston is still a firm favourite for the 4th July, though we might swap that out with DC depending on when and how we get to Niagara…ahh it’s like trying to fit a jigsaw at the moment!

WOW! thanks so much for all the great info. At this stage all we really had on our list for Boston is :

-Freedom Trail
-A trip to Harvard
-Seeing the Red Sox play and Fenway park ( was thinking of doing this on 4th July)
-Faneuil Hall Marketplace
-JFK Library

I am a big US Constitution and Presidential History fan so this is one of the reasons I want to go to Boston. The reading of the Constitution sounds like something I would love to do, and DW & DS might find something else to take their fancy while I do. I'm sure it will be crowded. Do any of the hotels/restaurants have events or good views of the Fourth of July festivities that you know of ?

I'd highly recommend a stop in Mike's Pastry store in the North End. The canoli seems to be an institution!

And we also enjoyed the Duck Tour in Boston.
Oh....and the Swan boat ride in the Boston Common/Garden. It's one of those tourist must-do's. (Go figure.....but we were glad to have done it).

And if you're a Cheers fan, I'm sure you'll find both the real Cheers bar that doesn't look like the set and the not-so-real Cheers bar that looks like the set in Boston. Do both if you're a fan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter