July 8, Backstage Magic Advice.

RedM94

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

We will be doing the July 8 ABD Backstage Magic Tour. I am hoping to tap into everyone's Disneyland expertise for some suggestions. Of the night time shows, World of Color, and the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom are scheduled. On day three, there is a special nighttime group experience planned, but not detailed.

In addition to what is scheduled, we would like to see Paint the Night, and the neon lighting at Cars Land. We will be staying at the Grand Californian an extra night to take advantage of the last full park hopper day on our ticket, and cover any nighttime show that may have been cancelled.

What are the chances that the day three nighttime group event will be the neon lighting, or paint the night? Should we just plan to do this on our own?

On day 4 and day 6, we are on our own for dinner, and on days 5 and 6 on our own for lunch. Please share your recommendations for both lunch and dinner

I have not the backstage magic since the move of paint the night to DA but I would expect you will have a space for it. If you are really concerned about that you can always ask the guides the first night of the trip. I will let Disneyland regulars give their recommendations for dinner. I always enjoy Carthay Circle lounge. I think I would lean towards counter service type places so you can control the length

We enjoy blue bayou but I admit it is more about the ambiance... food is OK but really expensive for what you get. For that kind of money Steakhouse 55 has a better filet and I've heard their brunch is excellent though we haven't had it yet (I think it is part of the ABD itinerary though so we'll have it in a couple weeks!). If you're REALLY open to dining at the resorts we love love love Trader Sam's and Tangaroa Terrace over there too. In DCA we'll head over to the Pacific Wharf area as there are a bunch of options in one spot and at Disneyland we enjoy Hungry Bear (nice water side seating on the Rivers of America) and the French Market as they have live music on that stage sometimes and my husband is a sucker for pulled pork while I like jambalaya. Plus the mickey shaped beignets are just around the side at the julep bar window. If you like to eat and run the corn dogs on main street really are very good and the skewers at Bengal by Indiana Jones are tasty but kind of small and limited options... I still really like them for a snack or small protein centric lunch.

@bamagoofy @AquaDame Thank you for your thoughts. Part of me wants to just go with the flow, and part of me wants to have planned dinner with an ADR. The Main Street corn dogs are on our must do list.

I find Disneyland to be way better as a go with the flow type place... until a few years ago we'd just walk up to Blue Bayou when they opened to make a reservation for later that day without issue (or just get on the list right then for lunch and be taken back 10 min later). We tried Napa Rose and didn't enjoy it and the restaurants in Downtown Disney seem so generic... we've eaten at Naples and it was just OK. Carnation on Main St is good for breakfast as is Storytellers' but I have only done breakfast at both so I didn't mention them. Some day I will try the Plaza Inn but there just hasn't been reason to when the quick service places have such tasty options - with some exceptions of course - much better than at WDW in my opinion (though not as good as Tokyo's). We have only been to Carthay Circle once and liked it more than Napa Rose but not enough to go back to it. I might pop into their lounge this trip and try that.

My family and I are DL regulars and did the ABD Backstage Magic in June 2016. I agree with AquaDame that Disneyland is much more go with the flow and especially when you are doing the ABD trip. For your two days where you have time for lunch on your own (Day 4/5) I would just plan on grabbing Quick Serve. It would be hard to make a reservation as you don't know exactly when you will break. Plus on the Calif Adventure Day we actually did not have time for lunch as our Guides offered to take those that were interested to one of the shows right as the group broke up from our planned activities - they grabbed chips, cookies and candies for everyone to munch on. Both parks have quite a few great quick service options. In Disneyland my favorites include: Rancho del Zoccolo, Pizza Planet and the little soup in a breadbowl place that is hidden along the Rivers of America right before you get to the Hungry Bear. Jolly Holiday is also great for grabbing a sandwich. In California Adventure there are lots of fun choices: The food court in the Wharf area has lots of choices, Flo's has great atmosphere and is large so there are always places to sit, the Cones have some fun smaller snack/lunch items. There is also a food stand that is tucked away just to the side of Goofy's Sky School that rotates it menu. I believe they currently have several different Mexican food offerings in honor of Coco.

For dinner on Day 6, I would make a reservation at one of the places in the Parks or Napa Rose. Favorites in the Park include Cafe Orleans (we try to do this every trip), Wine Country Trattoria. Napa Rose is also great if you want a "foodie" meal and it is very convenient. I am not personally a huge fan of Blue Bayou. Carnation and Plaza Inn for dinner are fine, but to me nothing special - I would be just as happy eating at the Quick serves that I mentioned as at those two places.

Seeing the lights come on in Carsland is really cool - it is not a formal "show" though so you need to do a little sleuthing to find out the time that it will happen. I would ask one of the Carsland cast members what time it will be happening and try to do that on your 6 or maybe day 4 evening if it is free. Don't miss riding Racers at night, it is such a fun experience at nighttime. If we have not been able to get an evening fast pass for Racers, we will all just go through the single rider line.

Happy to help with any other questions that you have.

@hilarys Thank you for the your time in replying and some great information. I am trying to work all of the following into our trip.

Together Forever
Fantasmic
World of Color
Paint the Night Parade
Carsland lights

I know Together Forever is scheduled on day 4, and World of Color on day 5. I am hoping, on our own to do Carsland lights and Paint the Night on day 3, and then do a Fantasmic dinner package the night of day 6.

We are on the same trip!! But you are clearly farther ahead in planning that I am

I have been to Napa Rose and Carthay Circle lounge a few times and would highly recommend both of them. The cocktail menu at Carthay Circle lounge is really fantastic.

We are on the same trip!! But you are clearly farther ahead in planning that I am

@BRC6C i remember you posting on one of the trip reports that you were doing this Adventure, I didn't realize we are going the same week.

I booked the fantasmic dinner package for our post night just in case it is not included during our adventure. I am sure the guides will be able to confirm with enough advance notice to cancel if need be.

I am planning on taking everyone's advice and going with the flow and enjoying the ride.

My family and I are DL regulars and did the ABD Backstage Magic in June 2016. I agree with AquaDame that Disneyland is much more go with the flow and especially when you are doing the ABD trip. For your two days where you have time for lunch on your own (Day 4/5) I would just plan on grabbing Quick Serve. It would be hard to make a reservation as you don't know exactly when you will break. Plus on the Calif Adventure Day we actually did not have time for lunch as our Guides offered to take those that were interested to one of the shows right as the group broke up from our planned activities - they grabbed chips, cookies and candies for everyone to munch on. Both parks have quite a few great quick service options. In Disneyland my favorites include: Rancho del Zoccolo, Pizza Planet and the little soup in a breadbowl place that is hidden along the Rivers of America right before you get to the Hungry Bear. Jolly Holiday is also great for grabbing a sandwich. In California Adventure there are lots of fun choices: The food court in the Wharf area has lots of choices, Flo's has great atmosphere and is large so there are always places to sit, the Cones have some fun smaller snack/lunch items. There is also a food stand that is tucked away just to the side of Goofy's Sky School that rotates it menu. I believe they currently have several different Mexican food offerings in honor of Coco.

For dinner on Day 6, I would make a reservation at one of the places in the Parks or Napa Rose. Favorites in the Park include Cafe Orleans (we try to do this every trip), Wine Country Trattoria. Napa Rose is also great if you want a "foodie" meal and it is very convenient. I am not personally a huge fan of Blue Bayou. Carnation and Plaza Inn for dinner are fine, but to me nothing special - I would be just as happy eating at the Quick serves that I mentioned as at those two places.

Seeing the lights come on in Carsland is really cool - it is not a formal "show" though so you need to do a little sleuthing to find out the time that it will happen. I would ask one of the Carsland cast members what time it will be happening and try to do that on your 6 or maybe day 4 evening if it is free. Don't miss riding Racers at night, it is such a fun experience at nighttime. If we have not been able to get an evening fast pass for Racers, we will all just go through the single rider line.

Happy to help with any other questions that you have.

@hilarys Do you remember if you were given fastpasses the day of your farewell breakfast. I think I may have asked this question several months ago, and if so, I apologize.

My memory is not perfectly clear on this but I don't think that we received fast-passes at the farewell breakfast. I would definitely recommend getting MaxPass for that day as it really maximizes the paper fast pass system.

@RedM94 and @BRC6C We're all on the same trip! I'm travelling with my mom and we're planning something similar and staying an extra night to make the best use of that extra day at the park and we've gotten a reservation for Blue Bayou for that night. On our last trip to Disneyland we saw the restaurant from Pirates and we're suckers for amazing restaurant themes so we knew we had to try it this time.

A few other must-do foods on my list (I've actually set some reminders on my calendar):
The new Dole Whip donut at the cart by Sleeping Beauty Castle
The carrot cake churro (for Pixar Fest) at the cart outside Haunted Mansion
Fried Chicken (all time favorite food) from Plaza Inn
Main Street corn dogs
Monte Cristo and Mickey beignets at Cafe Orleans

@megh315 We share many of the same July 13th dinner ADR, as we do bucketList food items. Actually have two dinner ADR's for Blue Bayou. One with the dinner package and one without. SHHHHH, I know. Just in case Fantasmic isn't part of the adventure.

Look forward to meeting you and everyone else in about six weeks.

@RedM94 and @BRC6C We're all on the same trip! I'm travelling with my mom and we're planning something similar and staying an extra night to make the best use of that extra day at the park and we've gotten a reservation for Blue Bayou for that night. On our last trip to Disneyland we saw the restaurant from Pirates and we're suckers for amazing restaurant themes so we knew we had to try it this time.

A few other must-do foods on my list (I've actually set some reminders on my calendar):
The new Dole Whip donut at the cart by Sleeping Beauty Castle
The carrot cake churro (for Pixar Fest) at the cart outside Haunted Mansion
Fried Chicken (all time favorite food) from Plaza Inn
Main Street corn dogs
Monte Cristo and Mickey beignets at Cafe Orleans

This is a great list. Cafe Orleans is one of my favorites. Don't miss the fries there - so good and garlicky. There are a lot of good treats at the Cozy Cones and a brand new menu at Flo's. Also, there are a lot of new foods that are appearing through the summer for the Pixar fest including 4 special churros (I see you mentioned the carrot cake one) and some special "coco" themed foods at CA. We are going the last weekend of June and I have a list going.

If you are unable to secure a dining reservation, or if you want to wait until you see how things pan out during your visit, you can always ask your Adventure Guides if they can work some magic for you. One of our guides (who also happens to be a VIP guide when he's not an Adventure Guide) was kind enough to secure a Blue Bayou reservation for us at the last minute. Certainly, this is not something that could be guaranteed, but it was so nice of them. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the dining options available to you at the parks. They have wonderful food everywhere. I will say that even though I eat at the Blue Bayou every time I visit Disneyland for nostalgic reasons, there are better options for food quality, but not ambiance!

Not doing this ABD until October 2019 but am so excited. Since I am from the East Coast I don't get out there that much, I will be staying at least 2 more days. Think I will move over to the Paradise Pier to save some $$ to get another day or 2 park hopper and add the Maxpass. They will move my luggage so no worries there. Must do's will be breakfast at the Carnation, Monte Cristos, mint juleps and Mickey beignets at Cafe Orleans( family traditions), any thing at Trader Sams (you can fill up on appetizers alone there) , the Bengal for quick service and perhaps a dinner or dessert package for Fantasmic as it was closed last July when the family went for a week. (Last time could not get rez at Napa Rose so went to lounge instead, was quiet, comfy and the food was great) Also the Cozy Cone, which we totally missed last time too.. The rest of the time I will just wander and take it all in and have as many DOLE WHIPS as possible!

Last edited:
@megh315 We share many of the same July 13th dinner ADR, as we do bucketList food items. Actually have two dinner ADR's for Blue Bayou. One with the dinner package and one without. SHHHHH, I know. Just in case Fantasmic isn't part of the adventure.

Look forward to meeting you and everyone else in about six weeks.

Well, unfortunately it looks like World of Color will not be part of our July adventure.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/06/update-wo...ia-adventure-will-not-return-until-late-2018/

I was mentally prepared for no World of Color since the news coming out wasn't sounding good. I'm sure there will be something good in it's place!

Can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter