Jinko, CA Grill - Wonderful! Coral Reef - Mediocre at best

ldmilton

Mouseketeer
DH & I spent 10 glorious days at AKL and used DDP to the max! Jinko and CA Grill were two of the high points of our trip. Food, service, and atmosphere at both were fabulous. (We requested the wine room at CA Grill, so it was wonderfully quiet and we watched Illuminations while dining then stepped out on the deck to see Wishes before dessert.) Jinko was elegant and very romantic. The cost of these two meals (including a glass of wine with dinner), was over $300. Even without the DDP, we would have gladly paid the bill and felt we got our money's worth.

Coral Reef was another story...Do not waste your precious time or DDP credits here. The atmosphere is lovely...we had a table tank side. The lobster bisque is also very good. That, however, is all that was good, IMHO. My tuna was tasteless. DH had a few very tough pieces of shrimp and a tiny amount of pasta. Even the chocolate wave that I had so been looking forward to was a disappointment...cake was crusty on the outside and there was no chocolate "wave" just a stale cookie.

Service at CR was even worse than the food. We both felt as if we were an afterthought and inconvenience to our server. She did not deserve the 18% she received because we paid with DDP. The bill came to $109. Not worth the price and not worth 1 TS credit! Just my 2 cents!!

Sorry about that. We had a better experience at Coral Reef, Great server awesome food, and the Chocolate wave was the best dessert we had the whole stay. Have yet to experience CA and Jiko - next trip in August though.

Thanks for the review. I aso had a great time at Coral Reef, but it seems to be a love or hate type place for folks.

I agree, Dawgfan. It does seem to be a love hate thing. I had read both good and bad before our trip and wanted to see for myself. We won't go back to CR, but perhaps I was too harsh in saying not to waste your time or TS credit. Everyone should decide for themselves!
BTW, another Dawg fan, here...son is at UGA College of Pharmacy.

Glad to hear good things about Ca Grill, can't wait to try it for ourselves next month. May I ask what you ordered?

So, do you think that even if most of the places we want to eat take 2 dining credits, that the DDP is still the way to go? Tell us about the Food!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

I'm sure it was just a typo....but it's Jiko not Jinko...maybe me think of plinko... :rotfl2:

Thanks for the reviews, Jiko is my favorite WDW restaurant. I'm looking forward to trying Coral Reef, but I just hope I have a better experience there! :flower:

ldmilton said:
DH & I spent 10 glorious days at AKL and used DDP to the max! Jinko and CA Grill were two of the high points of our trip. Food, service, and atmosphere at both were fabulous. (We requested the wine room at CA Grill, so it was wonderfully quiet and we watched Illuminations while dining then stepped out on the deck to see Wishes before dessert.) Jinko was elegant and very romantic. The cost of these two meals (including a glass of wine with dinner), was over $300. Even without the DDP, we would have gladly paid the bill and felt we got our money's worth.

So happy to hear you loved Jiko!!! DH & I are planning to do a "romantic" night out while Grandma & Papa keeps DD's. Thanks for posting the review - I feel happy with my decision to spend 2 TS credits to go there.

Mama Morganic

Glad you enjoyed CG & Jiko so much. We just returned Monday and we also had great meals at CG & Jiko. They are still our favorite two places to dine at WDW. :)

I agree with you 100% on Cali Grill and Jiko!
We also just got back from a 10 night stay at WDW and thought those two restaurants were far better then any others we dined at. Everything was just excellent! Other "better" places we went to were Yachtsman & Le Cellier. Though neither was could hold a candle to CG & Jiko, Yachtsman was just not worth the two credits. While on the other hand Le Cellier was a great use of one credit. Hope you had as great a trip as we did!

ldmilton said:
(We requested the wine room at CA Grill, so it was wonderfully quiet and we watched Illuminations while dining then stepped out on the deck to see Wishes before dessert.)

Hi! I was wondering more about the wine room--so, you have a view of Epcot, not MK? And you chose the wine room because it is more omantic/quiet? I am debating whether or not I should do this for DH and my anniversary dinner--we have reservations for 5:30, so we can see the sunset and then enjoy the parade at the MK--so, will we be just as happy with the view from the wine room, or is it not quite the same as seeing the castle? Thanks!! :goodvibes

The view from the Wine Room at CG is beautiful, but not as spectacular as seeing the castle. However, if you are looking for an intimate, romantic setting for your anniversary dinner, I would ask for the Wine Room. I believe you would also have a better "sunset" view from that side of CG... (I'm not great with N S E W direction, so someone correct me if that is wrong!)

No matter where you sit at CG, I'm sure you and DH will enjoy! Hope you have a wonderful trip. I am so envious....I can't wait to go back.

zurgswife said:
I'm sure it was just a typo....but it's Jiko not Jinko...maybe me think of plinko... :rotfl2:

:crazy: Duh! Obviously still had "vacation brain" when I first posted!

ldmilton said:
The view from the Wine Room at CG is beautiful, but not as spectacular as seeing the castle. However, if you are looking for an intimate, romantic setting for your anniversary dinner, I would ask for the Wine Room. I believe you would also have a better "sunset" view from that side of CG... (I'm not great with N S E W direction, so someone correct me if that is wrong!)

No matter where you sit at CG, I'm sure you and DH will enjoy! Hope you have a wonderful trip. I am so envious....I can't wait to go back.

I can't wait!!! Thanks so much!! :goodvibes I think we'll try the wine room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter