JetBlue now has a new boarding procedure

I think I'll put a small tote bag inside my wheeled carry-on that contains my laptop/chargers/meds, if I need to gate check the bag I can remove it to put under my seat along with the tote I was planning on putting under the seat!

At this point about 20% of the seats are open so maybe the overhead won't be too bad.

And people complain about Southwest!

When you gate check your bigger suitcase, aka your vacation clothes, you can actually watch it load. They bring it down the ramp you’d walk to board the plane then they drop it down to the tarmack and they load it.

Ah that would require me paying attention. :)

And it’s the trip to the carousel that I also worry about.

Usually the bags that people end up gate checking are the roll aboard ones, not ones that fit under the seat in front of you.

And then they put their tiny bags up above. And decide the bin is full and close the bin. (After our 24+ hours of travel I’m just so done with fellow passengers lol)

Your camera bag story gave me shivers. So glad you got that bag back intact.

And people complain about Southwest!

The issue is the same with all airlines. They don’t put enough bin space for everyone to begin with, then you get sneaks with huge bags, then you get people putting everything up there (not denigrating those in bulkhead who have to or those with third bags in the form of medical equipment bags) and coats etc.

And then they put their tiny bags up above. And decide the bin is full and close the bin. (After our 24+ hours of travel I’m just so done with fellow passengers lol)

Your camera bag story gave me shivers. So glad you got that bag back intact.

Exactly. I like when the FA's will tell someone that their tiny bag has to go under the seat and give them the reason why in front of every one just moments after they had made an announcement to that effect. Or the guy who lays his suite coat in the bin and get's ticked off when someone goes to put a bag there. Saw it happen and then about 5 min later the guy wasn't paying attention and some one put their bag up there not noticing the coat. Needless to say his coat was a little wrinkled 2.5-3 hours later :D

A few times I have seen a FA tell a passenger who was in the process of walking to the back after stowing their bag in the front of the plane, that they could not do that. When the passenger put up a stink that they didn't want to walk the entire plane w their carry on the FA said that they could have it gate checked for them to "make it easier" on them. These passengers did the walk of shame w their bag to the back of the plane.

I was very glad I got it back as well. It all happened so fast I didn't have time to think.

Maybe we will just book extra space - worth not getting C tickets

Huh? This isn't SWA's general seating situation, JB assigns seats, so there isn't any real disadvantage to walking onto the plane separately from someone else in your party. If you really need to board with someone else because you can't handle the process alone, then I'm guessing you would qualify for disability boarding.

If the issue is overhead bin space, you could FedEx your bag for less than what an extra seat or an upgrade would cost you.

We flew Jet Blue on 11/11, our family had group B and D. We didn't have to split up, Jet Blue lets you board with the later of the groups your family has been assigned. It wasn't a problem, and there was plenty of overhead storage. I liked this much better than Southwest, we flew down to MCO via SW and I hated the way SW works.

The only issue with the new boarding proceedure is overhead bin availability. I haven't had that issue with SW before, but that's probably because they give you two free checked bags. JB gives you no free checked bags unless you have the right JB credit card, then you get one free bag. So, people try to pack as much as possible in their carry on bags, and then shove them into the overheads. If they don't fit wheels in (the proper way to stow them), they put them in sideways, which now takes up two spots. Or they put their overcoats up there, so anyone needing that spot for a bag now has to move a strangers coat and stick it back in, if at all possible.
Hopefully, with the new boarding proceedures, there will be fewer 'gate gnats'...those that haven't been called to board but hover around the jetway entrance so they can be the first to board in their group, if they aren't trying to board with an earlier group (which I've seen. Then they stand there and argue with the gate agent, holding everyone up). It's so nice to just line up, in the appropriate slot, and then board. No hovering around the gate, or trying to shove past those who think they should be boarding now, not you, even though your group was called. Sure, SW doesn't assign seats, but I really like the way they handle boarding. I can remain seated until the last minute, then get up, get in my slot, and board. Some hate it, I like it. But sadly, SW doesn't fly from my preferred airport, just JB flies there. But, its such a small airport that there aren't any huge crowds.

I flew Jet Blue both ways on my trip last week and by the time they got to Group E (aisle seats) they were making people gate check bags. It didn't look like anyone had massively oversized carry ons and everyone's suitcases were wheels facing in, but there just isn't enough overhead bin space for everyone to have a rolling luggage.

I don't check bags for any trip shorter than a week and they got me with this change (I was out of the country when they did it). Being an aisle seat in the back they had me board pretty much last. There was room for my backpack though, fortunately.

I flew Jet Blue both ways on my trip last week and by the time they got to Group E (aisle seats) they were making people gate check bags. It didn't look like anyone had massively oversized carry ons and everyone's suitcases were wheels facing in, but there just isn't enough overhead bin space for everyone to have a rolling luggage.

Yes, it was packed on my recent trip home too. Of course it gets worse in the winter as folks start shoving their coats in the bins too.

Yes, it was packed on my recent trip home too. Of course it gets worse in the winter as folks start shoving their coats in the bins too.

Don’t people need those on their laps? I get so cold on planes!

On my flight from Boston on Sunday they were asking for 25 people to check bags well before boarding time. 25!

Don’t people need those on their laps? I get so cold on planes!

On my flight from Boston on Sunday they were asking for 25 people to check bags well before boarding time. 25!

I agree. I use my jacket as a pillow and my husbands as a blanket!

Regarding coats, the most brilliant thing I’ve seen on a plane is the little coat hooks on Aer Lingus planes.

I had my full length lined rain/trench coat hanging from it on the precursor to our recent JB flight and it was so convenient. No need to take up space in a bin or at my feet, and even during takeoff when they told us to take coats off our laps, I hung it there then draped the lined part over my knees.

I wish all airlines would have those. Doesn’t work with the tray table down though lol.

We recently flew United and our seats were in the back of the plane. When we got there the bins over our seats were already filled with the carry-on luggage of the flight attendants. We had to go ahead a few rows to get space and that caused the people boarding after us to complain that we took their spots for carry-ons. It was a mess.

Ugh - this is NOT good news for us. My husband and me and the kids have different tickets, but we all sit together, however, with this new procedure now, we will never get the same boarding number! I just don't see how I'm going to struggle with two strollers, carry on luggage and my little ones in a different boarding group! :(

Ugh - this is NOT good news for us. My husband and me and the kids have different tickets, but we all sit together, however, with this new procedure now, we will never get the same boarding number! I just don't see how I'm going to struggle with two strollers, carry on luggage and my little ones in a different boarding group! :(

if you have little ones and strollers, you should be able to board ahead of the groups. Usually they allow families with small children to board first so you have a chance to get on and settled, as well as gate check your strollers, before the rush of other passengers.

if you have little ones and strollers, you should be able to board ahead of the groups. Usually they allow families with small children to board first so you have a chance to get on and settled, as well as gate check your strollers, before the rush of other passengers.
And if not, you simply all board with the highest boarding letter; probably E.

ust don't see how I'm going to struggle with two strollers, carry on luggage and my little ones in a different boarding group!

From the beginning of the thread, take note of the 4 point down under boarding order in the quote below.

If anybody flies JetBlue, I would be interested in hearing how the new boarding procedure went. Apparently it became effective October 17, 2017.

JetBlue apparently tweeted this:
We’ll have boarding groups A through E on our A320s and A321s. Our E190s will have boarding groups A through D.

And when I googled it, I found the following. No word yet on what puts you in Group B versus C versus D versus E.

Boarding order
  • Pre-Boarding for customers with disabilities
  • Mosaic and Mint® customers
  • Even More® Space customers (Group A)
  • Courtesy Boarding for active military personnel and customers traveling with children in car seats or strollers.
  • General Boarding by group:
    • Group B
    • Group C
    • Group D
    • Group E (N/A for E-190 aircraft)
  • All remaining customers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter