**January 2018 Check-in Thread**

I've got adorable mermaid leggings, however, I don't have a good shirt to go with it... however, apparently mermaids aren't allowed to ever be cold, because all I'm seeing on Etsy is tank tops and short-sleeved shirts for mermaids.

Hey there - check out www.adorkableapparel.com They have a cute sweatshirt with mermaid shells on it. Could be what you are looking for.

That's awesome! We're going to be there as well September 29-Oct. 3.

Still haven't figured out the January situation. We're thinking over New Year's (yes, we are that crazy!). Can't pass up the Christmas offerings!!

We'll be there Oct 1-6 and Dec 3-8 as well as January.

5 of us in Oct. Just DH and I in Dec. and then the BF birthday trip in Jan. Looking forward to them all!!

Glad to see we aren't the only crazy ones. We just got back on Monday from race weekend and we have a trip planned October 19-21 (along with the rest of the state of Utah) and December 2-3.

I am in the planning stages for the last week in Jan. I have a friend who has never been to disney and we have to change that hehe... and that means I can get an annual pass :yay:

I have never been this early in the year, how is the weather normally?

Yay! I looked for this thread months ago, when I started planning this trip. We're going January 14-19 for my preschooler's birthday. Right now, we have a reservation at Camelot even though we live in LA. I just wanted to stay nearby so we wouldn't have to do the drive, parking, and tramming every day. We're going to get annual passports but still try to cram as much as we can into that week.

Anyway, I have no idea what to do for her actual birthday besides BBB. I want to get a Disney cake, but I don't know where we want to eat it. I'm open to ideas!

I am in the planning stages for the last week in Jan. I have a friend who has never been to disney and we have to change that hehe... and that means I can get an annual pass :yay:

I have never been this early in the year, how is the weather normally?
Just wanted to say I love your name, @tlcdoula ! I spent my pre-mom time as a doula and I miss it so much. 17 years until retirement, and I plan on going back to doula'ing at that point; much more fun to earn my Disney money being a doula than my day-to-day job now :)

Just wanted to say I love your name, @tlcdoula ! I spent my pre-mom time as a doula and I miss it so much. 17 years until retirement, and I plan on going back to doula'ing at that point; much more fun to earn my Disney money being a doula than my day-to-day job now :)
haha me too.. I was a doula when my kids were little but that was years ago.. One day I plan on going back to do it again... this real working stuff sucks hehe

I just purchased plane tickets for our January trip 1/13-1/16. Now that I hear it's a race weekend I'm worried!! Is it crazy just on Saturday? I know MLK day is on Monday but I have heard it's not a crazy holiday there. We've been every month of the year in the past except January & February. I thought January should be a slower time (if that even exists anymore). What is everyone's thoughts that have been there for a race weekend? We are coming from Oregon too :) I see a couple of Oregonians on this thread! Love Disneyland!! We are going in October too for the Halloween party so excited!!

Well. We had so much fun at DLR (in the rain) in February 2017 that we're planning to visit again! Last year we stayed five nights and did 4-day Park Hoppers. For 2018, we're booked January 28 - February 3 at the Grand Californian on a very good TA rate. (I was stalking 2018 rates becoming available and finding the best week because after staying at DLH last year, DH is insistent that we try GCH!) With six nights, we'll do 5-day Park Hoppers, most likely from LMT Club again as that worked incredibly well last time.

We're looking forward to hopefully trying some rides that were being refurbished last year, revisiting some favorite experiences from last year, and seeing Fantasmic! (DD has not seen F! at either WDW or DLR and we think she will like it.) DH is super looking forward to being at GCH. For some reason, he is just in love with that hotel.

We may back out of this trip if we hop on a last minute Disney Cruise in December, but for the moment, our DLR plans are locked in!

We will be visiting January 2 - January 8....celebrating our 25th anniversary and my birthday! Staying at the VGC.

I just purchased plane tickets for our January trip 1/13-1/16. Now that I hear it's a race weekend I'm worried!! Is it crazy just on Saturday? I know MLK day is on Monday but I have heard it's not a crazy holiday there. We've been every month of the year in the past except January & February. I thought January should be a slower time (if that even exists anymore). What is everyone's thoughts that have been there for a race weekend? We are coming from Oregon too :) I see a couple of Oregonians on this thread! Love Disneyland!! We are going in October too for the Halloween party so excited!!

First of all, they haven't opened registration for race weekend yet and there is some speculation that it won't happen at all. Sad for me because I love RunDisney events. But a lot of people who would normally run this race are moving on to other races given the uncertainty of whether or not it will really happen four months out. If they have the races, they will start at 5 or 5:30 AM so they don't impact actual park operation. The Half on Sunday can shut down surrounding streets making it difficult to navigate by car, but you can walk to the parks with no problem.

That being said, we have been four times so far this year and the only time that felt busier than Star War Race/MLK Weekend was Spring Break. But last year there were several rides down and the ROA area was closed so it added to the crowded feel of the parks. DL has been working on ways to open tight cooridors (like the one in Adventureland) since then too.

We plan to go regardless if there is a race that weekend, but we also plan on it being busy either way.

Hi All,
We will be visiting Disney Jan 3rd to 6th. It is actually an extension of our Christmas cruise to Hawaii - figured if we are in LA then we should add on Disney! We are from Canada and will be myself, mom, DD (10) and DS (6). We have visited once before when DD was almost 3 so I'm sure there are lots of changes - the price was the most obvious one to me and I'm still recovering from sticker shock everytime I think about it! I currently have Homewood Suites and Hilton Anaheim on hold but trying to decide between them or find a better deal elsewhere. We are planning on doing 3 day park hopper tickets - no real idea how this will go down as DS has some mild special needs and doesn't do well in crowds/waiting in line, etc....so we will play it by ear! One thing both kids have requested is Rainforest Cafe so will make reservations as soon as they are open! Other than that, no firm plans - it's overwhelming looking at everything and trying to plan so far in advance!!!

We did it I am booked for Jan 28- Feb 4th, 2018 staying at Del Sol. Taking a close friend who has never been to disney before... and it's the First time I can do 2 trips within a year so I can get an annual pass!!! :yay:

I've booked my hotel for January 28th to February 3rd for my first solo trip (except for that one day when I was 18 during the 25th! Anniversary. LOL !) I was happy to get the Kings Inn and Convention Center for $68 per night. Previously the Super 8 on Katella with really good reviews on Tripadvisor and quite close to Disneyland. I'm just waiting until DS and I return from our trip in two weeks before I commit to airfare. This will be the first time I've ever had an AP, and I'm so excited to use it lots this year. It's one of my longtime dreams and so excited for my year of Disneyland!

Last edited:
First of all, they haven't opened registration for race weekend yet and there is some speculation that it won't happen at all. Sad for me because I love RunDisney events. But a lot of people who would normally run this race are moving on to other races given the uncertainty of whether or not it will really happen four months out. If they have the races, they will start at 5 or 5:30 AM so they don't impact actual park operation. The Half on Sunday can shut down surrounding streets making it difficult to navigate by car, but you can walk to the parks with no problem.

That being said, we have been four times so far this year and the only time that felt busier than Star War Race/MLK Weekend was Spring Break. But last year there were several rides down and the ROA area was closed so it added to the crowded feel of the parks. DL has been working on ways to open tight cooridors (like the one in Adventureland) since then too.

We plan to go regardless if there is a race that weekend, but we also plan on it being busy either way.
THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!

We upgraded from PPH to DLH for only a tiny fraction more. Still have a premium view, and I requested the Adventure tower. So excited for our first onsite stay to be at DLH! I was ho humming about PPH the whole time, while still trying to be grateful for the opportunity. Now I'm scared about how much I will love it. Lol

I just got back from a Halloween trip where we stayed in Fountain Valley with family It was so great, but driving in and out sure changes things. So the next trip, at DLH, during Christmastime..oh my it is going to feel magical! 92 days!

Hi all! I don't know what dates yet but our APs expire in January, and we always try to make a trip before they do. Probably the second or third week.

Eesh. I can't believe we're already talking 2018!

I got an email with a discount code to Disney World yesterday and had about 2 hours of fun seeing if i could shift my January trip from DLR to WDW. Wouldn't that be fun seeing as no one else in my family has ever been to WDW?! But, at the end of the day adding airfare and a couple of days onto the trip really makes a big difference. DH was not on board. DLR is so much more than a consolation prize that I am totally fine with that. Plus it really is an easier trip for me to plan for since we are all old hands at touring here.

At this time I have a reservation at the Anaheim Majestic Gardens and HoJos. I have not committed because AMG is cheaper and I have never stayed at HoJos. DH is on the fence for if he will be joining us on this trip at all. When he decides I will decide on the hotel. I am also watching rates to see if they drop as we get closer. The kids are excited to go, so that is awesome. Teenagers are not always psyched to spend 8 hours each way in a car with Mom. :)

We will be back at Disneyland Jan 11-16th. My daughter will be at a gymnastics meet that weekend at the convention center and then we will be hitting the parks on the other days. We will be staying at the Del Sol. We stayed there this week and got upgraded to the 2 queen+bunk beds room and loved it. It isn't fancy but it really convenient to the parks with large, clean rooms and like I mentioned plenty of bed space at a really low price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter