Jan or Feb trip?

Julie Thomas

Earning My Ears
I was wondering what the weather and crowds are like in Jan and Feb. We have been to Disney in April, July, August and October, but never in Jan or Feb. Can you please share you experience during that time frame?

I've been in both January and February. I believe, with the exception of holidays and the marathon, it's still the cheapest time to go. It used to be the least crowded time to go, but the last couple of trips I took in Jan/Feb didn't have the low crowds I was used to. At all. I haven't been in Jan/Feb for a couple of years and from what I gather, reading the DISboard, the crowd levels have only picked up.

For me, the biggest con of going at that time of year is how many rides are closed for refurbishment. Two years in a row of not being able to ride KRR because it was being refurbished pushed our usual Jan/Feb trip into March.

The weather is completely unpredictable. It can be 40 degrees and raining or low 70s and sunny. I've had both kinds of experiences there, sometimes during the same trip.

I noticed that with the new tiered ticket pricing, January is the least expensive. That could factor into your decision. I'm pretty sure that January also has the least expensive room rates onsite.

One thing to consider, if you're in the Northeast, for example, is the weather. In the last 5 years we've had 2 blizzards in the NY area delay our scheduled trip--once by 4 days and once by about 36 hours. The 36-hour delayed trip was at the beginning of March. But this is just something to factor in, depending on where you're traveling from.

Something else to consider is whether you'd like to use a pool or go to a water park. Often in Jan/Feb one or both of the water parks are closed, and even though all the pools at WDW resorts are heated, the air when you get out of the pool isn't heated. Nevertheless, I see people using the pools almost no matter what the weather. It's a personal-tolerance issue. This can be an issue with get-wet rides as well (the ones that aren't closed for refurbishment), since it's not exactly pleasant to walk around the MK soaked after riding SM when it's 45 degrees outside!

Also, unless you're in the marathon, avoid the marathon weekend, MLK weekend, and the Presidents Day holidays.

I was wondering what the weather and crowds are like in Jan and Feb. We have been to Disney in April, July, August and October, but never in Jan or Feb. Can you please share you experience during that time frame?

:welcome: to DISboards!

DW and I are Disney snowbirds and love the weather in Jan and Feb. Especially if you are coming from the northern part of the country. It is a fairly dry time of year, if it does rain it is usually just with a quickly passing front. Average hi/lo temps in late January are a pleasant 72F/48F.

That said, it can get chilly right after the cold front goes through. Lows in the 30's with a brisk breeze. Then a few days later it could be warm, record highs in late January are in the upper 80's. Pack one outfit for each extreme and you'll be fine.

Late January and early Feb is one of the lower crowd times. If you have the flexibility, that is the time to go.

Early February is perfect! We’ve been there a few times then and always enjoy the low crowds and ease of dining!

We visited in late February this year and the weather was awesome (chilly at night). However, we ended up leaving a day early due to a Nor’Easter here at home and we didn’t want to risk getting stuck at the airport. We’re scheduled for an early February trip in 2019. It is nice getting out of the winter doldrums at home, but it can be risky in terms of inclement weather.

We went January 8-17 2018 and while I was there I bought a pair of shorts for the first several days, and then bought gloves and scarf and sweatshirt for the last few days. Night time shows were not as enjoyable as when we usually go in November due to the chilly, cold nights. But, that is when we were able to go and as always, we had a good time despite the weather.

I love early Jan. Everyone left and we got the park to ourselves (sort of, but you get the idea). And it's much warmer than back home. We also went in Feb. Weather is hit or miss. But it won't be too cold. I love those days when I don't have to follow school calendar. I love off peak time in WDW.

January 28 - February 4 2017: Temperature highs were in the mid 50s to mid 60s daily and the crowds were great. Rode almost anything we wanted with ease of FP+ or waits less than 20 minutes.

January 20 - 27, 2018: Temperature highs were high 70s to mid 89s daily. Crowds seemed to be much higher. Waits were higher, which might have been staffing issues, but the walkways and resorts were just crazy to get around as well.

Outlier Information: January 1985 - Not sure of exact dates as I was 7, but somewhere around the 20th - 26th: Record cold, the lows were about the 20s and I think the highs were about mid 30s. Only the two parks and crowds were very low. It was the first trip that I can remember and I know my mom made my dad end the trip a few days early as my brother was getting sick and she was afraid that my sister and I might as well.

I have been in Florida in January and February a couple of other times, but usually only did WDW for a day of those trips while being in the Tampa area. Usually the weather was a mix of sometimes being warm enough for shorts and other times light jackets and umbrellas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter