Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Just booked today! We will be celebrating our 25th Wedding anniversary Feb 14-17. We are looking forward to 2018, this year has really been a battle for us. DH was told he had cancer on his 50th birthday in June, but he has fought thur and made it to the other side, he has 4 treatments to complete his 6 cycles of chemo. Last one scheduled for Jan 3rd. He has responded well and is currently already in "remission" according to the dr's.
Congratulations on his good health and your upcoming trip. I hope you enjoy every minute!

I'm looking at the Touring Plan room selector for the first time, and I don't think I'm using it correctly. I'm taking my kids to WDW in march, and we're staying at a different resort. But, for the first night, we'll be at AKL for their birthday. We just have a standard queen room, but when I select that option on the TP site, I'm getting way more options than I think should be available for savanna view. I thought there were only a few partial Savannah view rooms available. Could I have some guidance, please? Which rooms should I be looking at requesting? This is likely our only opportunity to stay in a deluxe resort, and might be our last WDW trip, so I'd really like to try to get a great view if I can.

Looking forward to learning everything I can about AKL... DH and I booked a September 2018 BB last week for a CL room here for our 20th Anniversary! Hoping we love it! :)

Hey y'all! it's official, we will be at Jambo house 1/12 to 1/17.
we normally stay at Kidani, i feel like a newbie.

we rented DVC points for a Deluxe Studio - Standard View. which area should i request a room in? i want to be as close to the lobby/transportation as possible. thanks for all of y'all's help!

I've been doing some research for our upcoming trip the beginning of December and finding conflicting reports. Can anyone tell me if the standard 2 queen rooms have a daybed? Probably just wishful thinking as I can't seem to get a bunk bed room (our 2 teens of opposite sex are staying with hubby and I). Please forgive me if this is answered elsewhere on this thread - I have looked around quite a bit, but not through all 114 pages. Thanks in advance!

Just back this week & we had a standard room on the zebra trail & did not have a day bed.

My old lady told me I needed a vacation and there is no place I'd rather go than AKL. Just booked for March! I have been pretty surprised at some of the ADRs we have been able to get well inside the 180 day window, but I'm not complaining. I'm looking forward to rekindling my DIS and AKL obsession.

I'm looking at the Touring Plan room selector for the first time, and I don't think I'm using it correctly. I'm taking my kids to WDW in march, and we're staying at a different resort. But, for the first night, we'll be at AKL for their birthday. We just have a standard queen room, but when I select that option on the TP site, I'm getting way more options than I think should be available for savanna view. I thought there were only a few partial Savannah view rooms available. Could I have some guidance, please? Which rooms should I be looking at requesting? This is likely our only opportunity to stay in a deluxe resort, and might be our last WDW trip, so I'd really like to try to get a great view if I can.

There are quite a lot of partial savanna view rooms that are classified as standard view, for reasons unknown since Disney doesn't really broadcast them. Speculation is that rooms directly overlooking the "people pen" fire escape areas are classified as standard, though you can get great animal viewing from these rooms simply by not looking straight down.

The best luck I've had with touring plans is to edit the fax request info and instead of leaving a long trail of "NW facing room 6th floor like 1401, 1402, 1403,..." (this is an example, I just made that up) I delete all of that and write what I am looking for in plain English, like "We are celebrating special birthdays with one night at the Lodge and would love a partial savanna view. My children love the animals but we need to be near the lobby due to mobility issues. Any room near Room xxxx looks like it might fit our needs and we appreciate any requests that can be honored " (or anything else you might need to address). I've been rewarded with some truly fabulous views, or with literally the first room off the lobby when convenience was more important to me than view.

Have a great time planning and I hope you and your kids have a fabulous celebration!

There are quite a lot of partial savanna view rooms that are classified as standard view, for reasons unknown since Disney doesn't really broadcast them. Speculation is that rooms directly overlooking the "people pen" fire escape areas are classified as standard, though you can get great animal viewing from these rooms simply by not looking straight down.

The best luck I've had with touring plans is to edit the fax request info and instead of leaving a long trail of "NW facing room 6th floor like 1401, 1402, 1403,..." (this is an example, I just made that up) I delete all of that and write what I am looking for in plain English, like "We are celebrating special birthdays with one night at the Lodge and would love a partial savanna view. My children love the animals but we need to be near the lobby due to mobility issues. Any room near Room xxxx looks like it might fit our needs and we appreciate any requests that can be honored " (or anything else you might need to address). I've been rewarded with some truly fabulous views, or with literally the first room off the lobby when convenience was more important to me than view.

Have a great time planning and I hope you and your kids have a fabulous celebration!

This is so helpful, thanks pepperandchips!!

we rented DVC points for a Deluxe Studio - Standard View. which area should i request a room in? i want to be as close to the lobby/transportation as possible. thanks for all of y'all's help!
....personally, I'd probably request Giraffe Trail - there are studios there, facing the pool area.....very convenient too!

....personally, I'd probably request Giraffe Trail - there are studios there, facing the pool area.....very convenient too!
The Giraffe trail villas are convenient but the only DVC villas on giraffe trail are the value villas - w/ a deluxe standard view villa you'll be on Kudu or Zebra trail pool or partial savanna view. Zebra trail near elevator w/ pool view would be pretty convenient putting you on the same side as the Mara, pool, & shop.

Ok one last time because I lost the posts where someone helped me out months ago but we are leaving in 6 days so I want to call and put in our request.
We have a Jambo standard view. Hoping for king bed but I guess that’s not too important.
We want partial sav. View but not too far of a walk to main area. Which trail should I request? Thank you

Going to AKL May 1-8, celebrating our 49th Anniversary. Been their several times in the past. My wife's health is failing and this may be her last trip, so I am planning a special time for her. Unfortunately $3mil in accumulated medical bills prevents us from staying in a luxury accommodation, but we will have a great time in whatever standard view room we get.

The Giraffe trail villas are convenient but the only DVC villas on giraffe trail are the value villas - w/ a deluxe standard view villa you'll be on Kudu or Zebra trail pool or partial savanna view. Zebra trail near elevator w/ pool view would be pretty convenient putting you on the same side as the Mara, pool, & shop.
....ah, you are correct - I was thinking of the Value Studios.....

We are booked for March 30 - Apr 8th at Kidani.

Question - Do all the Standard View Studios in Kidani have balconies?

Last edited:
We're going back to the AKL for the 3rd time (January 2016, March 2017) from January 11-15. We booked a Standard Room in Jambo House. Back in 2016, we used the Touring Plans Room Request Tool and had an amazing partial view of the savanna (4318 on Kudu Trail). We splurged and got a savanna view room this past March (3423 I believe), but it really wasn't much better. We had a slightly better location, but that was mostly it. I'm requesting 3316 (or thereabouts since I know the Fax is broader) using the Touring Plans tool again. It's on the Kudu trail and very close to where we were in 2016. Not close to the lobby but still a great spot. I have my fingers crossed on that front!

th woohoo
we are going dec

I'm not sure if this will be a help to anyone. Several years ago, I walked the 2nd floor of Jambo House and noted where the "People Pens" were located.

I just came across the paper now, and before I throw it in the trash I thought I'd post the information!

There are 6 People Pens:

1 on Ostrich Trail (to the left of room 5124)
1 at the end of Zebra Trail
1 at the end of Kudu Trail
1 by room 2314 (3314, 4314)
1 by room 2226 (3226, 4226)
1 behind the lobby (Sunset Lounge area)

We are booked for March 30 - Apr 8th at Kidani.

Question - Do all the Standard View Studios in Kidani have balconies?
Yes they do. I think all DVC villas have balconies/patios & Kidani is 100% DVC villas (but you can rent from from Disney too.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!