It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

I Noticed space has opened up yesterday for the May 19 departure. With final payments coming due in the next month or so for the first few departures, maybe other spots will open either for those on waitlist or those who prefer a different departure date.

We’ve secured our Japan flights! Sometimes travel hacking requires creativity since things do t always line up as expected. We have RT flights in first class on ANA but our return date is not what I wanted. Hopefully things will line up. If not, I will cancel the return flight. No biggie. We are using Virgin Atlantic miles and their RT flights in first are darn close to what many airlines charge one way. The backup plan for our return flight is currently JAL in business class.

What miles did you use to get the ANA first class seats? What method did you use to transfer to Virgin and get ANA? Would love to know the details on your flights (how many points and where you transfer).

I had no luck getting a direct return flight back to Toronto from Tokyo, but got ANA business class to Chicago and was happy with that.

What miles did you use to get the ANA first class seats? What method did you use to transfer to Virgin and get ANA? Would love to know the details on your flights (how many points and where you transfer).

I had no luck getting a direct return flight back to Toronto from Tokyo, but got ANA business class to Chicago and was happy with that.

American Express Membership Rewards was running a 30% transfer bonus promo to Virgin Atlantic. I transferred 185,000 Amex MR points to Virgin and with the bonus wound up with 240,500 Virgin Atlantic miles. VA charges 120,000 per person for a round trip flight in first class on ANA.

I searched for ANA award space on United since they are partners and Virgin won’t show the award space on their web site. I wrote down the flight details, called Virgin and booked. Hope this helps.

American Express Membership Rewards was running a 30% transfer bonus promo to Virgin Atlantic. I transferred 185,000 Amex MR points to Virgin and with the bonus wound up with 240,500 Virgin Atlantic miles. VA charges 120,000 per person for a round trip flight in first class on ANA.

I searched for ANA award space on United since they are partners and Virgin won’t show the award space on their web site. I wrote down the flight details, called Virgin and booked. Hope this helps.

That helps tremendously! I might try that route! Are you flying out of MCO? Where are you catching the ANA flight?

That helps tremendously! I might try that route! Are you flying out of MCO? Where are you catching the ANA flight?

I am flying out of IAD on ANA. I can get there from Miami easily with points and miles. I don’t mind taking a positioning flight to get a nice first class experience using points and miles.

I am flying out of IAD on ANA. I can get there from Miami easily with points and miles. I don’t mind taking a positioning flight to get a nice first class experience using points and miles.

That’s the trick I too often get caught up with not getting a flight from Kansas City. I need to remember I can fly to major hub and catch flight from there. Thanks for the information. I’d like to fly ANA when we go to Japan

More Japan trip planning crossed off the list today. We are staying in Tokyo for a couple of days before our ABD trip. I simply have to check out the robot restaurant. That looks way too cool! So we booked two nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. I wasn't about to pay $1,000 per night and was able to travel hack it with points. The hotel had award nights for 30,000 per night and I transferred 60,000 Chase Ultimate rewards to Hyatt and booked our stay. Then of course we have to make our way to Osaka from Tokyo to start the ABD trip. I was able to book flights on ANA using United miles for 5,000 miles per person and zero $ in taxes and fees. That was a novelty.

The Robot Restaurant is crazy Japanese culture on steroids, touristy and somewhat burlesque (although I have heard they have toned it down) and we loved every minute of it! Make sure to have reservations in advance and to get detailed directions from the Hyatt. We thought we knew where it was but luckily our tour guide from the night before pointed it out to us or we would have never found it. Make sure to tell your husband to visit the restroom. We had dinner afterwards because we heard the food is not that good. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

The Robot Restaurant is crazy Japanese culture on steroids, touristy and somewhat burlesque (although I have heard they have toned it down) and we loved every minute of it! Make sure to have reservations in advance and to get detailed directions from the Hyatt. We thought we knew where it was but luckily our tour guide from the night before pointed it out to us or we would have never found it. Make sure to tell your husband to visit the restroom. We had dinner afterwards because we heard the food is not that good. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!
Was it difficult making reservations in advance? How far in advance did you make them?

Sayhello

I’m curious as to what age groups this targets, if any. I’ve asked my DS if he wants to try to go & he is not that interested so I don’t expect we will check this out.

Was it difficult making reservations in advance? How far in advance did you make them?

Sayhello

You can make reservations online two months in advance. Just google the restaurant. You can also have your hotel concierge book them. We had no problem getting our reservations, but it has gotten more popular.

I’m curious as to what age groups this targets, if any. I’ve asked my DS if he wants to try to go & he is not that interested so I don’t expect we will check this out.

We went in May 2015 so it has been some time and the show has changed. At that time, I would not have brought anyone under the age of 12. You can check out an updated review of the restaurant with excellent photos on the Travel Caffeine website by Tom Bricker. I believe he says the show has been tamed down (less cleavage). My son loved it, but he was 25 at the time!

The burlesque aspects were a turn off for me, but if its been toned down maybe I will try to go in April! :3 We stayed right around the corner from it on our trip a couple years ago - I had forgotten about it entirely until we walked by every day.

More Japan trip planning crossed off the list today. We are staying in Tokyo for a couple of days before our ABD trip. I simply have to check out the robot restaurant. That looks way too cool! So we booked two nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. I wasn't about to pay $1,000 per night and was able to travel hack it with points. The hotel had award nights for 30,000 per night and I transferred 60,000 Chase Ultimate rewards to Hyatt and booked our stay. Then of course we have to make our way to Osaka from Tokyo to start the ABD trip. I was able to book flights on ANA using United miles for 5,000 miles per person and zero $ in taxes and fees. That was a novelty.

Calypso - we stayed at the Park Hyatt and did the robot restaurant on our trip in April. You are going to have a fabulous time!!! I'm not sure which room you were able to book with points but we had a deluxe with a view of Mount Fuji and it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. Make sure you do dinner or at least drinks in the New York Grille on the top floor!

Robot Restaurant was fun, very touristy, and basically one big acid trip! DON'T get food there and others told us it was terrible, and you are going to want some alcohol before the show. There is a great ramen place about a block down the street where we had dinner with the guy who runs TDR explorer.

Have a awesome time I can't wait to go back to Tokyo!

Calypso - we stayed at the Park Hyatt and did the robot restaurant on our trip in April. You are going to have a fabulous time!!! I'm not sure which room you were able to book with points but we had a deluxe with a view of Mount Fuji and it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. Make sure you do dinner or at least drinks in the New York Grille on the top floor!

Robot Restaurant was fun, very touristy, and basically one big acid trip! DON'T get food there and others told us it was terrible, and you are going to want some alcohol before the show. There is a great ramen place about a block down the street where we had dinner with the guy who runs TDR explorer.

Have a awesome time I can't wait to go back to Tokyo!

I appreciate the advice. My only options booking with points was a king bed or twin beds. There were no view options available. Thanks for the heads up about the ramen place run by TDR explorer!

The Gracery Hotel in Shinjuku is less than a 5 minute walk from the Robot Restaurant. If you liked Godzilla at all, take a walk by. You can also go to the Godzilla Restaurant, grab a drink and go onto the terrace for an up close view. Every hour it blows smoke and makes the Godzilla shrieking sound. We were also told about the risque overtones of the Robot Show, but like others we thought it was fine. We went to the 6:00 show, so we weren't sure if maybe the later show was a bit more suggestive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter