Hanging up my running shoes

REFLECTIONS ON OUR FIRST @DopeyBadger TRAINING PLAN
tumblr_nb0s90ROvt1tyhayao1_500.gif

So, we've officially completed our first @DopeyBadger training plan. Billy posted this info in his journal already, but I wanted to share it here as well.

Plan #164
Name: Zellyb
Race/Distance: Rock the Parkway Half Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 12 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Run/Walk primarily but with a once a week portion at continuous
Days per Week: 5
# of Hard Days (per week): 2 (including long run)
Peak Week Duration: 5:53
Peak Week Mileage: 30 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 1:50
Peak Single Run Mileage: 10 miles
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 2:12:07 October, 2017
Expectations Going into it: Hoping for a new PR (stretch goal to get below 2:10). Actual completion time 2:12:34.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Not as closely as I wanted. I ended up with a groin strain during the training and had to miss or curtail several runs. LIFE was also a bit of a challenge that hurt us some. Looking at my spreadsheet we missed 13 individual training runs and many of those were late in the training cycle after the injury.
Testimonial: I've been running for 5 1/2 years now following basic Galloway training plans and doing run/walk. We decided to give one of Billy's plans a try in our run up to the Chicago Marathon in October and my ultimate goal of getting a sub-5:00 marathon time. We committed to going to a 5-day per week running schedule where we'd previously do 4 days per week max. It was a big adjustment learning to run more slowly as our previous runs were nearly always at or near race pace. It was certainly hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of running most runs so much slower and then being able to break out much faster speeds on race day, but I'd read so many great success stories here and read Billy's intensive research process, so we had faith and took the leap. While we missed a PR on this course by 27 seconds, I count it a victory. Our PR race was on a much flatter course than this one and those conditions were ideal. This race, aside from being much more hilly, had 15 MPH sustained winds and gusts up to almost 25 mph - we even got sleeted on during this race. The last 4 miles were straight into a headwind with some significant uphills to manage. After dealing with the initial disappointment of missing a new PR, I recognized that the same training and effort on the PR course and the PR conditions would have absolutely resulted in a new PR. So, sometimes you must just accept those things that are outside your control and do your best. I feel like I was absolutely well-prepared for this race even though we'd not done any single long runs over 10 miles (we'd gone up to 16 or 18 mile long training runs before our last PR) and most at a much slower pace. I felt strong throughout this race and was comfortably able to follow Billy's race strategy. The difference was those last couple of miles with hills and headwind that made the difference. We're already looking for the next possible race to test out our conditioning, but we are excited to see where the next training cycle leads us.

I'm really pleased with the results of this training plan. After spending the last 5 years working diligently to improve my overall fitness and speed, I felt like I'd really taken myself about as far as I could go following the standard Galloway plans. Even with last year, pushing to 4 days per week, I wanted to try and see if there was more in there. I absolutely felt like running more days was a crucial part of the success we had last year and why I told Billy we wanted to try for 5 days per week of running. With Chicago on the horizon, I'm hoping for the best running season yet!
giphy.gif

I was initially kind of bummed out about missing our PR on the run Saturday, but after some reflection and discussion with Chris, I think we both recognized that the same effort on the other PR course with similar conditions would most certainly have yielded a new PR. That's pretty freaking exciting honestly. I'd not really tried to RACE at all since that last PR attempt in October, so with just a 12 week training plan and much slower training runs, I was at PR condition. That's great and gives me a lot of confidence going forward.

After a couple of PM conversations with Coach and searching for some new races, we are going to give that HM PR another shot at the Independence Half Marathon. The race is Sunday May 6, so just 3 weeks away, but Coach thinks we should be close to back to 100% by that time. I feel like that PR is in there and just waiting to bust out! I admit that I really tried to feel confident going into this last weekend, but I had some doubts but coming as close as I did to a PR under tough conditions has really given me a boost of confidence. So, onward and upward!

anigif_sub-buzz-8208-1481657816-2.gif

I'm going to reintroduce some strength training and yoga again as well (although MUCH more carefully than last time when I strained my groin).
1mzpyDO.gif

I felt like that conditioning also was critical to my success last season and I want to manage the same this year. Plus yoga just makes me feel good and sleep better!

This week is about resting and recovery, but then we are back at it!

bebbdd39e650a47312d19ca4f1b4a4ac.gif

Congrats on the solid finish under tough conditions. Loved reading your recap, and also reading your thoughts on your first DB plan. I'm really excited to see how you do at Independence, and will be rooting you on from here!!!

So glad to hear that you guys enjoyed your first Coach DB plan - apparently all of his research works! Who knew?

So excited that you're trying for the PR again in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do when you're back closer to 100%! Onward and upward!

Late to the recap party, but I'm super impressed with your race! Great job zelly and chris-mo!!! Hills and wind are no fun but you really tackled them well.

THUMBS UP!!!

I love that you are going for it on May 6th!!

I'll be here cheering you on! Go get!!

Great job on your half and I am rooting for that PR on May 6th!!!!

Congrats on the solid finish under tough conditions. Loved reading your recap, and also reading your thoughts on your first DB plan. I'm really excited to see how you do at Independence, and will be rooting you on from here!!!

So glad to hear that you guys enjoyed your first Coach DB plan - apparently all of his research works! Who knew?

So excited that you're trying for the PR again in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do when you're back closer to 100%! Onward and upward!

I too am rooting for you to PR on May 6th. PRs all around!

Late to the recap party, but I'm super impressed with your race! Great job zelly and chris-mo!!! Hills and wind are no fun but you really tackled them well.

THUMBS UP!!!

Thanks, everybody!! Haven't registered us yet, but planning to do it in the next few days. Fingers crossed that we have a great PR run on this one!

I'm totally slacking on my journal guys!!!

lazycat.gif

Life is continuing to be kind of crazy. Our running last week was sadly pathetic, but planning to get back at it this week with a new short plan from Coach to get us HM PR ready!!

Meantime, we are heading to Chicago on Thursday for a fun long weekend. Many moons ago when I was pregnant with my twins and on bed rest, I discovered a twins mom message board and got to know several other twin moms who were expecting at the same time. 10 of us have kept in touch all these years (15!) and get together periodically. Chicago is our usual go-to since we come from all over the country and it's an easy destination point, plus it's AWESOME! We rent a house out in Wrigleyville and just eat and drink and visit and shop and RELAX. I cannot wait to get there. Chris is coming too and we'll do some hopefully nice running in the mornings while waiting for everyone else to get up and about. I'm hoping we head downtown at some point and I can scope out the hotel we booked for the marathon in October.

Eventually I will update this journal with actual training stuff. :D

giphy.gif

IT'S GONNA BE A BEACHY KIND OF STAY
giphy.gif

Just stopping in here to say,

I booked the Beach Club for our Marathon Weekend Stay!!!!

giphy.gif

I checked back with the same TA we used last year to see what pricing she had available and she had some decent rates for Beach Club. After some discussion with Chris about staying onsite again versus at a fancier offsite hotel, we both agreed we'd enjoy staying at Beach Club again to soak up that Boardwalk atmosphere and the easy walking distance to HS and Epcot in particular. I know we haven't even registered for the races yet, but I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to have something official on the books for January...

giphy.gif

Oh, and, I just registered us for that half marathon in Independence May 6th. Guess we are trying for that PR afterall.

giphy.gif

It was the Best of times. It was the Worst of times.
beach-bull1.gif

Where to begin? It's been a really tough couple of weeks...and a really great couple of weeks. We had an amazing trip to Chicago!! It was stupid cold there, but otherwise beautiful weather. We went for a lovely run down to the lake and then just enjoying the beautiful city! I really do love Chicago so much.

We checked out the hotel and the location is AMAZING!! Lobby looks so nice as well. It sits just a block off Millennium Park and Michigan Avenue. So stoked for our trip to race this fall!!

Chris officially graduated with his doctoral degree! YAY!! It's so great that he is done and can actually just focus on his job instead of job and school now!

Sadly, we've had some really serious family issues going on at the same time, so it was a really difficult week last week. But, it's a new week and some reason to hope for better times ahead, so trying to keep the faith that things will improve.

So, you may remember we were running a race up in Kansas City this week. The Independence Half Marathon. This was to be another attempt at a PR. I registered for this quickly and THOUGHT the course didn't look too bad. I knew there were a couple of hills in the beginning and end but thought they weren't too bad. Um, yeah. That might not have been the case. We drove up to Kansas City and picked up our bibs on Saturday and headed for the race start and got there about 30 minutes before the 7:00 AM start. Did a quick warm up and then lined up for the porta-potties. YIKES. Insanely long line. We just managed to get done and rush to the corrals for the start. Only 7 potties total for lots of runners.

It was around 60 degrees and slightly overcast. Humidity wasn't bad, so really good conditions. As we were waiting for the start, we saw someone we knew from our Galloway group in Springfield. He warned us it was actually a terrible course. Um, what? So, yeah. Given that I was already in a bad head space because of the week we'd had, that really set the negative thoughts off and they stayed there the rest of the race. Still we headed out right at 7 AM. We ran the first mile hanging between the 2:15 and 2:10 pacers. Probably a bit too fast.

Mile 1: 10:04

The race starts with an immediate long steep hill. OK. I sort of expected that but then thought it flattened out some. And it mostly did for miles 2-6.

Mile 2: 10:13
Mile 3: 10:13
Mile 4: 9:53
Mile 5: 10:10
Mile 6: 10:01

Then came mile 7. Another massive uphill. It was a huge struggle for me for some reason. I think those negative demons just did me in.

Mile 7: 11:51
We rallied a bit on the down hill
Mile 8: 10:35
Mile 9: 10:13
but then came another big uphill
Mile 10:11:14
That one did me in honestly. We knew a PR was out of the question at this point and we just decided to finish at an easy pace and get it done uninjured.
Mile 11: 11:19

Then came mile 12

That hill is pretty indicative of what most of the hills were like. Long and steep. Sigh.

Elevation chart

Mile 12: 13:02 (Lots of walking)
Mile 13: 11:52 - It flattened out here, but I was just done. :(

Official finish time: 2:23:33 Boo. My slowest non-Disney half in over 2 years. Sometimes it's just not your day. We won't be running this race again. :D

But, we did get this insanely big finisher's medal. LOL

So, there you have it! Tough week and tough weekend, but today is a new week and we look toward Chicago and the marathon. We'll take a few easy weeks and then hit up Billy for our new marathon training plan and that elusive sub-5:00 for me.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Last edited:
Looks like a great time in Chicago!

Life is full of rough times. You got through that tough week and now it’s time for a better one.

Congrats on the race despite the hills. That medal is pretty cool!

So glad you had a good weekend in Chicago!

Sorry to hear that you are going through some difficult times. Sending warm thoughts your way! :hug:

As far as that race goes... I hate big hills. You guys rock.

Looks like a great time in Chicago!

Life is full of rough times. You got through that tough week and now it’s time for a better one.

Congrats on the race despite the hills. That medal is pretty cool!

Thank you! We were in shock over that crazy medal when we saw it at bib pickup.

So glad you had a good weekend in Chicago!

Sorry to hear that you are going through some difficult times. Sending warm thoughts your way! :hug:

As far as that race goes... I hate big hills. You guys rock.

Thank you! :hug:

We run on hills a lot, so I don't mind them that much during races, but these were ridiculous and they just kept coming!

Whew! That is some major elevation. Way to tough it out and finish! Obsessed with that medal!

Thank you. It really is a pretty medal with or without the huge size!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter