It appears Commodore Tom is retiring in January of next year.

He really is so calm when he speaks about inclement weather. And very detailed. I learned a LOT about winds and water depth and hurricane paths during his daily announcements during our hurricane cruise.
Good to see you learned a lot on your hurricane cruise. Ours went from sitting down to main dining, orders taken, appetizers served, water/waves hitting the porthole windows (we were in Enchanted Garden), people sitting at the windows jumping out of their chairs and standing in the aisle, some main course was served (ours was not), then Captain Tom on PA announcing for everyone to return to their staterooms. We went back to our room on Deck 10 and water coming down the stairway from Deck 11. I went up to Deck 11 to take a look and water was sloshing out of the pool, through the gift shop (where you could buy flip flops and pool stuff), and down the stairway. It was about 30 minutes from sitting down to dinner in rough seas to we were smack-dab in a hurricane. Captain Tom had more of a commanding voice to get in our stateroom and remain there. Obviously no daily announcements with hurricane weather school on this cruise. Memorable, very memorable.

Good to see you learned a lot on your hurricane cruise. Ours went from sitting down to main dining, orders taken, appetizers served, water/waves hitting the porthole windows (we were in Enchanted Garden), people sitting at the windows jumping out of their chairs and standing in the aisle, some main course was served (ours was not), then Captain Tom on PA announcing for everyone to return to their staterooms. We went back to our room on Deck 10 and water coming down the stairway from Deck 11. I went up to Deck 11 to take a look and water was sloshing out of the pool, through the gift shop (where you could buy flip flops and pool stuff), and down the stairway. It was about 30 minutes from sitting down to dinner in rough seas to we were smack-dab in a hurricane. Captain Tom had more of a commanding voice to get in our stateroom and remain there. Obviously no daily announcements with hurricane weather school on this cruise. Memorable, very memorable.

I think your hurricane was much worse and more direct then ours! We knew several days before we ran into it, and Commadore Tom was able to direct the ship around the worst of it. I do remember watching the waves crash up and cover two-thirds of the port holes by the Walt Disney theater. The pools were closed and very sloshy for the few days we were in the thick of it. Your cruise sounds much more adventurous!

We were fortunate to be invited to dinner with Commodore Tom on the 2005 EBPC. Truly a kind gentleman.

What a cool memory. Was the dinner in Palo? I can't imagine the Captain of the ship just sitting down to dinner in the main dinning room. He'd never get to taste his food with everyone wanting to speak with him (I assume anyway with the long lines during the Captain Meet and Greets).

What a cool memory. Was the dinner in Palo? I can't imagine the Captain of the ship just sitting down to dinner in the main dinning room. He'd never get to taste his food with everyone wanting to speak with him (I assume anyway with the long lines during the Captain Meet and Greets).
It was in Palo. We were in the private room (the Magic). I think there were a total of 4 or 5 couples and another officer attending. A photographer from Shutters took a picture of the group that we were given as a memento. It was a memorable evening.

I think your hurricane was much worse and more direct then ours! We knew several days before we ran into it, and Commadore Tom was able to direct the ship around the worst of it. I do remember watching the waves crash up and cover two-thirds of the port holes by the Walt Disney theater. The pools were closed and very sloshy for the few days we were in the thick of it. Your cruise sounds much more adventurous!
ADVENTUROUS! I like that description. Much more exciting than memorable. Yeah, it was really bad for about 12-14 hours. The ship dropped between waves. Free-fall dropped and that sound. There were constant cracking and popping of the ship but numerous times it sounded like something crashed into the exhaust funnels and this rambling roar could be heard and felt as it vibrated up the stacks from deck 1 to deck 10. I will never forget that sound.

Although nothing has officially been announced, it appears Commadore Tom will be retiring from Disney Cruise Line in January of 2021.

I thought it might be fun if we share some stories of cruising with Commadore Tom.

Normally I don't pay much mind to who the Commadore of the ship is. The one time I cruised with Commadore Tom (Forberg) however I got to know his voice very well. We ended up having to divert our course due to a hurricane in the way. Due to the bad weather for several days, we got regular daily updates in our stateroom via the announcement system from Commadore Tom. He would come on, give us weather and position updates, as well as any new news he had about what the plans were for the remainder of our cruise. I ended up getting sea sick (a first for me) so for a few days Commadore Tom was my connection to the ship outside my stateroom.

He did a great job moving us around the hurricane and we ended up with some great weather at the end of it all.
Commadore Tom captained our very first cruise in 2008, a 7 night Mexican Riviera. Back then he was mere Captain :). We still have the cruise poster he signed hanging in the hallway.IMG_1031.jpg

We have only sailed with Captain Tom once - I believe it was the Fantasy Maiden Voyage. I guess being Commodore of DCL's fleet allowed him the opportunity to take her on her first (official) sailing. We met him at the Captain's signing and he was a lovely gentleman, I hope he has a great retirement.

We sailed with him on last years EBTA, he was impossible to find during officers hide and seek, even knowing his disguise and general location. He was a good sport. We loved watching him on the bridge right before we left our last port.
Is he really already at retirement age? I wouldn't have given him that!

We sailed with him on last years EBTA, he was impossible to find during officers hide and seek, even knowing his disguise and general location. He was a good sport. We loved watching him on the bridge right before we left our last port.
Is he really already at retirement age? I wouldn't have given him that!

According to this piece written in 2012 he had already been Captain for 34 years! After 42 working years (plus whatever he'd done prior) I would certainly be ready...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/tra...ntasy-captain-tom-forberg-20120330-story.html

We have sailed with Commodore Tom many times. We sailed with him during Hurricane Frances where we had to stay on board 3 extra days because of the conditions in Florida. With all that was going on with the hurricane, he still performed my Aunt & Uncle's 50th anniversary vow renewal.
I too have a Cruise Christmas ornament autographed by Commodore Tom.
I thank him for all the wonderful memories and wish him a wonderful retirement

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter