Is trying to rent realistic in my situation?

TeamRiley

Mouseketeer
I am currently waiting to close on a contract. It turns out that multiple years worth of points have been banked on it.

The points that were banked into 2020 UY back in 2019 will expire at the end of May. I am guessing the transaction will finally be complete early to mid April.

I doubt we will be able to use them (didn't even know about them when we made the initial offer). Is it realistic to try and rent them out for a quick trip to someone at a good price? I have never bothered renting points before.

Thanks

You'll have to look at availability and compete with the confirmed bookings, but if you're not hung up on getting premium return, you will probably be able to rent them.

You say multiple years have been banked, you can only bank ONE year ahead before they expire. Take a close look at what you think you have purchased.

In late 2019, points were banked into June 2020 Use Year. These will expire May 31, 2021.
Points from June 2020 were banked into 2021. These become active June 2021 and expire May 31, 2022. Same as points from 2021 unless they are banked.
It is only one year ahead. One Use Year.

You might be able to rent those points but only a 1 month window is not a lot of time.
I would plan on losing those points unless you want a May trip, and if you can rent them, its a bonus.

You can rent them at short notice on the DVC rent/trade board on this website. Check out the current points for rent and the price being asked by sellers. Generally all the distressed points for rent in the next month, and priced around $10-$12 ppt are taken quickly, if availabiilty can be found.

Last edited:

I would try here on the rent/trade board. Spend a bit of time reading ads and of course, read up on the rules of the road. I've rented through brokers for the past couple years, but just gave the rent/trade boards a try on Sunday. I ended up with a bunch of PM's, a bit of ghosting but ended up with a terrific family who I transferred points to.

I got a note yesterday from the same family asking about renting more points and fulfilled their request as they were such a pleasure to work with. It ended up being a great experience.

You might have a few interesting interactions, but if you have your "ad" well written and ready to go, post and you'll have them gone in a day or two. I agree $12 or under will get lots of responses...have lots of patience. Keep posting if no "agreement" has been made...first with the cash, right?

Good luck!

IF you decide to rent using the rent board remember to have a post count which is high enough and comply with the rules as you otherwise need to pay for renting.

Thanks,

How do I find out about the post count? I am guessing it is in the renting rules.

Thanks,

How do I find out about the post count? I am guessing it is in the renting rules.
From the R/T Board Required Reading thread:

"Our DVC Rent/Trade Board is intended to benefit active members of the DISboards community by providing a venue for DVC Members to use their DVC points (that they otherwise are unable to use personally) by making reservations for others.

You must purchase a Rental Plan to offer your points for rent or transfer on the DVC Rent/Trade Board UNLESS you meet the following requirements:

• You have had your DIS user-name for at least 6 months, and
  • You have made at least 8 posts in at least 4 of the past 6 months (months are counted on a daily basis the same as DVC computes 11 month/7 month priorities), and
  • You have made at least 50 non-Rent/Trade Board posts in the last 6 months as verified by the DIS 'Search' engine. (Posts made on the DVC Rent/Trade Board will not count towards this requirement. "

I have a lot of points at Aulani that are expiring at the end of February. I booked two different studios for Feb stays and was able to rent them both with David's - took me about a month to rent them both. We did drop the price a bit but I've still recovered a nice chunk of change. Your other option is to dump those points into RCI and you would have two years to use them. (That was my backup plan.)

I'm in a similar situation as you - I have some 2019 points that were carried over into 2020 April use year, and therefore expire end of March, due to the update Disney did for Covid. I just put a rental ad in on the Rent/Trade subforum the other day for the first time. Did a fair amount of research, and reviewed a number of the existing entries. Half of them have already been used, with a very nice experience PM'ing with the person renting.

You've gotten good pointers from others above. I'd add to take a look through Effective DVC Point Rental Agreements as well. PM me if you'd like a copy of the agreement I ended up using.

I had a similar situation back in 2018 and priced the points around $10 a point. First interest was within minutes, and the transaction was done within hours. Do the planning, as @MICKIMINI has laid out, and it should happen pretty quickly and easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter