• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Tijuana worth it?

Dom262 said:
I live near San Diego and I don't go down there. Yes you can find some wonderful deals on certain items, but you have to really have to be aware of conterfeits.

If you are going to shop for some items, then it may be fun. If you are going for the pure tourist aspect, I wouldn't go there. I would continue going down to Rosarito.

If you do go, don't stay the night. In fact plan on being out of there long before the night even hints at being close. remeber that you will be in a foreign country. The laws are different. Also, before you cross, pay the extra money for Mexican Insurance. Even if you are walking across, it will help if there is a medical emergency.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

I don´t mean to be rude, but this comment really got me laughing. The thing is that even when I will be in the US I will be in a foreign country with different laws than in my own.

I am from Iceland and am not covered my any "national/social" insurance anyway when travelling outside of the European Union. However, I do have a private insurance that would cover medical expenses both in the US and in Mexico.´

However, all these negative comments have had an impact and I definately will think it over twice before I go to Tijuana.

Thanks again everyone.

Freyja said:
I don´t mean to be rude, but this comment really got me laughing. The thing is that even when I will be in the US I will be in a foreign country with different laws than in my own.
Understood completely but I think what we're trying to advise here is that TJ doesnt like americans very well it seems and they think we are all rich or something and even the police will try to use their power to bribe you into thinking your going to jail over there...they stop you for no reason....in the streets people get up in your face to buy there stuff...I even had a little girl kick me in my leg over and over because I wouldnt buy anything...although I havent been to Iceland I have been to other foreign countries including several parts of Europe and have never encountered what I did in Tijuana...no one meant to insult...sorry :guilty:

I went a couple of years ago when I was visiting San Diego. We just took a tour bus across...we paid for a shopping tour that lasted a few hours. It took us to a shopping district and we walked around for a while. It was pretty safe to do it that way since there's something to be said about safety in numbers. The tour guide gave us a few words of advice on what to do, what not to do, etc. And he seemed to be around in case you needed help (he played chess with the guy who sold us Tequilla).

It IS a bit of a shock when you see 3 security officials standing on a street corner with automatic rifles...

If I were to do it again, I'd do it that way. There's no way I would stay overnight or drive a car across by myself or even walk across by myself.

My brother wants to do it when we go to Southern California this August...at first I thought it would be ok but I'm leaning towards doing other things like visiting Balboa Park or even going to the Crystal Cathedral.

By the way, although we didn't know it at the time, those poor zebra painted donkeys are apparently abused. I ran across a website about them.

No harm done, I just thought it was a funny comment. Having travelled to many countries around the world (including China, Kuwait, and Bosnia), I think I am used to almost anything when it comes to PUSHY vendors and dirty children. However, I would never want to threaten my or my families security.

Thanks again for all your words of wisdom, I really appreciate it.

I think the only time I would stop in Tijuana would be with a group.. like a missions project etc, not for a family vacation, but as a humanitarian effort.
I have a friend who spent two years there, building homes for people. The people right on the boarder are very poor, and often resort to means that are not common in our "richer" country. Course she went into an established area, with people that knew the area, and worked with people that were acclimated to the surroundings, so she was safe living there. And met many locals who were loving, kind and helpful. But yes, it is safer if you go to other areas of Mexico.. "richer" areas, where people are not needing to resort to "illegal" means to support themselves.

Freyja said:

I am from Iceland and am not covered my any "national/social" insurance anyway when travelling outside of the European Union. However, I do have a private insurance that would cover medical expenses both in the US and in Mexico.´

However, all these negative comments have had an impact and I definately will think it over twice before I go to Tijuana.

Thanks again everyone.

The point I was making is that your personal insurance more then likely will not completely cover you when you go into Mexico. I have personal insurance myself and I know for a fact that it will not. If you were do drive into Mexico and get into an accident they may hold you for days until you come up withthe money to let you out. This is even if you are injured. Even if it is not your fault, you may still be heald until you pay the money. There have been many instances with this.

I to have traveled extensively. You asked for advice and I was giving it to you. If you go into Mexico, purchase the insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter