Is there a dress code at Disney?

I can deal with people that have no style or dress like slobs, but inappropriate shirts and clothing that is revealing is just wrong at a place like Disney. If they want to do that got concert or something like that. To many businesses don't want to cause conflict so they don't do anything, and many people won't speak up about it so it just becomes more common and we begin to accept bad behavior like that.

I will and have said something and I will continue to do it. We've lost a sense of decorum in our culture, and not just about dress code but respect and decency. It's all about "me" culture today, and it's destroying us.
I don't think businesses are not doing anything because they don't want to cause conflict, it is because the majority of people have a different definition of what is destroying us and it is not short shorts.

Your definition of bad behavior is not the same as mine. I do not think wearing short shorts that does not have hate words on it is bad behavior. So whose definition is the "right" one? Probably best to let everyone, as long as they are not inciting violence or hate, decide for themselves what their definition of today's culture is.

Where did you draw the line at skin showing? The 1800's where women were dressed from head to toe? Or sometime after that, up to the 50's where crop tops and short shorts were the rage? Hems have been rising and falling for decades. It is not the end of civilization as we know it.

Picture from the era where people think the values and culture were the "good 'ole days." Guess civilization was ruined way back then :rotfl2:

Pretty short shorts with butt cheeks hanging out in the 50's. And god forbid, belly buttons showing with the shirts tied up. My mother has pictures of shorts like these and they always ended up "shorter" showing more cheek just like today's young people.

female-short-pants-1950s-1.jpeg

Picture from the era where people think the values and culture were the "good 'ole days." Guess civilization was ruined way back then :rotfl2:

Pretty short shorts with butt cheeks hanging out in the 50's. And god forbid, belly buttons showing with the shirts tied up. My mother has pictures of shorts like these and they always ended up "shorter" showing more cheek just like today's young people.

I would have soooo worn those shorts back in the day and did wear short shorts with halter tops. Unfortunately now I can't even find my waist!

I probably wouldn't bat an eye over super short booty shorts or inappropriate tattoos or T-shirts.

But other fashion atrocities are sure to produce a few chuckles. ;)
Sandals with crew socks (over the calf tube socks are even worse :scared1:)
Jorts
T-shirts tucked into shorts or jeans
Crocs
Baseball caps worn backwards
Any clothing with the brand name prominently displayed
Sweatpants/pajama bottoms
Crew socks seemed to be a thing on our trip. Not sure if it was specific to Disneyland or California but they were all over the place with all manner of footwear. Most of them had designs/characters on then but not really specific to Disney. I kept saying to my DH, “What is up with these socks?”

Anyone else secretly hoping this thread turns into a 16 page discussion of whether some people could get sick from someone else's fashion choices? :P
LOL! Anyone who actually believes that to true must be living a life of constant sickness, perpetually plagued by all of the other MORE LIKELY sources of illness in the world.

Out family's worst fight at Disney World: When DD25 was 13 or so, we were heading out to the parks. I noticed once we got outside that her skirt had become see through in the sunlight, so I asked her to change before we left. The nerve of me! Huge blow up, and she refused and ended up staying at OKW watching Lifetime movies while her brother and I went to Epcot. It was an epic fight, with resentment lasting for days . . . We were just talking about it yesterday, and at 25 she totally gets it--it's a family park. At 13, she thought I was a tyrant.

Similar story except it was adult me that had on the see through shirt. I was with my 4 children. I didn’t realize until after dinner. During that dinner we got a free appetizer and I got a free drink.
To this day my kids still ask me to wear the see through shirt when we go out to eat so they can get free stuff.

To each their own is my motto.

The problem with being offended is that you tend to only see and register the items you are offended by and then think it is pervasive. You don't register the 99% of the other guests that are dressed differently.

For instance, if you chose to be offended by yellow tshirts, you would all of a sudden only notice everyone wearing yellow t shirts and then think it is everyone wearing them. You wouldn't notice the other people wearing blue, green, tan, white, red, orange, tie die, black, and all the other colors on the spectrum.

People clutched their pearls at seeing bare ankles at one time. It is just skin. Body parts don't offend me, especially when it is someone not remotely part of our traveling group.

I have a huge thing about trying to impose one's morals, judgments, and preferences on other people when it doesn't cause any harm to them or even involve them at all, except maybe to harm their own sensitivities.

I work in surveillance and we always used to joke that no matter how outlandish and unusual the clothing was on a person you were looking for inevitably you'd find 10 other people wearing it while looking (like the dude in the hot pink and purple hoodie I was looking for one day and just KNEW he'd be the only one and security called me to check no less than 5 guys wearing pink and purple hoodies before I found the right one!)

Similar story except it was adult me that had on the see through shirt. I was with my 4 children. I didn’t realize until after dinner. During that dinner we got a free appetizer and I got a free drink.
To this day my kids still ask me to wear the see through shirt when we go out to eat so they can get free stuff.

I wore a dark purple v-neck tee shirt to the parks on a solo trip celebrating my 26th birthday. I had a bunch of photopass photos taken that day by a young, male photographer and he spotted me every day for the rest of my trip and remembered me by name and that I was visiting from Canada without reading my birthday button. Get home and download my photopass photos - turns out my DARK purple tee shirt goes transparent in sunlight and no one had ever told me lol.

ETA Hey look it's still on my photobucket account! Guess it's a good thing I usually wear a bra...

Photo0123FourBySix.JPG

Last edited:
I wore a dark purple v-neck tee shirt to the parks on a solo trip celebrating my 26th birthday. I had a bunch of photopass photos taken that day by a young, male photographer and he spotted me every day for the rest of my trip and remembered me by name and that I was visiting from Canada without reading my birthday button. Get home and download my photopass photos - turns out my DARK purple tee shirt goes transparent in sunlight and no one had ever told me lol.

ETA Hey look it's still on my photobucket account! Guess it's a good thing I usually wear a bra...

View attachment 338612
Been there sister...

I remember back in 1988 my brother being stopped at the entrance to the MK because he was wearing a T-shirt with a skier on it going down a hill about to hit a tree & it said (in the tiniest writing) OH S***!
He was asked by the CM to wear it inside out.
The rules have majorly relaxed since then.

As far as swears, the rules have relaxed. Things are allowed to be said on tv and radio that definitely weren't back in the day.
With things like short short, I don't think much has changed. Women wore super short jean cut offs in the 80s. I remember two incidents in the Parks because my mom was teasing my teenage cousin about looking.

I tend to agree with you. Also, when we ate at California Grill in May, the waitress told us they would begin enforcing the dress code because many of the locals show up in cutoffs, etc. She said they will ask men to wear collared shirts.

Parts of the body that do not carry STD's, harmful bacteria - sure, we as society decide what's OK, what's not, and that's just a group decision that we all don't have to agree on. But that certain area of the body that deals with waste, etc? Fecal matter is not healthy to have all over the place...
If you have fecal matter on the part of your glutes that end up showing when wearing booty shorts, you need to go back to potty training and relearn how to use toilet paper.

That's not even 'front-to-back' vs. 'back-to-front' (don't do the latter, by the way), that's like... middle-to-sides. If you're doing that, you seriously need an intervention, and perhaps counseling or assisted-living care.

IIRC, Penn & Teller did an exposé (pardon the pun) on whether or not butts were unhygienic.They swabbed a whole bunch of derrières, and they came up quite clean. If we were going to worry about cleanliness, I would be more on the side of people covering their hands.

I honestly love this style of short! My daughter has a pair and they are adorable

Nope, the ones in the pic are even long compared to the pair of shorts we saw at WDW

I really wish we would have taken pictures because these were unlike anything we have ever seen before ... you honestly would not have believed it! I have never seen clothing like that wore out in public, let alone to Disney.

These were in no way shorty shorts or supershort cutoffs nor was it just a short skirt, these were actually indecent.
Like the shorts quite obviously were cut by person wearing them in a half circle half way into the pockets and up the butt so all you see is skin, like the "crease" of the butt cheek was a good 4-5 inches BELOW the bottom of the shorts..... these did not come from a store!

And the little Sailor Moon skirt, the only place that would have been seen is twirling around a pole on a stage and there appeared to be absolutely nothing underneath it.

Like I said, it was pretty hard for adults not to notice it but you didn't have to look at it if you really didn't want but anybody 4 feet or shorter that's all you got to see and it was gross.

Good to know there is a dress code for next time..... we would never report just anything, it has to be pretty darn bad and these two things are the only things I have seen that were shocking

I noticed this a few times last trip and all I have to say is....I love me some butt cheeks, so I'm all for Disney becoming more lenient on their dress code!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter