Is it possible to get around Universal/IOA without using lockers?

So, I went to ride the Hulk today and was told my lanyard had to go in a locker! What? Since when? Admittedly, I don’t ride the Hulk very often, so it’s been close to a year since I last rode it last fall. But, I’ve never had an issue taking a lanyard on it in the past. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I was going to try going back later in the day when there was a new TM, to see if it was just that one being a pain or a new policy, but I never got the chance. Apparently, my Vera Bradley lanyard doesn’t count as a lanyard because it has a zipper, so that makes it a small purse??? This is not a wristlet or a coin bag or anything like that. I was using an actual flat lanyard with the clear cut out for the ID to go in, no different from the plastic ones, only made with material. It is just barely big enough to slide my ticket, license, and some cash into.

Anyone had this happen to them? Is this the next step, not even lanyards allowed anymore?

We kept our lanyards on and we only left Wednesday.

We went on Hulk a good few times and no one said a word.......we used the EP line so can’t think how else you could carry your EP on that ride......I never have pockets in anything I wear so couldn’t put it anywhere other than a lanyard............

Very strange.

What makes it bad is when a family/group all go in to the locker area together. They stand there looking over each others' shoulders at the screen, then they all shuffle over and stand around the locker gathering their stuff to put in or distributing it as they take it out. Me OR my son take the few items for our family and just one of us goes in to the locker area. I think that is how most people do it, but the others can definitely make it more crowded.

I also don't understand the people who feel they must stand at the very edge of airport baggage carousels and won't move for anything until their bag(s) finally come along. Step back a couple steps. Allow others space to get their bags. Move forward when yours come along. End rant. :-)

We experienced both of these things this past week.

The lockers aren’t the problem......people are. One locker had 6 folks around and would you believe they brought out one backpack..........:confused3

The new lockers at The Mummy are very spacious and much better laid out than before, but you betcha we still saw whole families crammed around one........we just went where it was a little quieter.

Never had any issues with the lockers themselves......takes a few moments.

And yes, airport carousels.........we do exactly that.......stand further back until ours come around.......you can still see them easily come through from behind! And keep your kids away from them!!!! They get in the way and are of no use whatsoever around them........ you are allowed to say no to your kids and tell them to stand back! But, no......little Sophies and Cedrics are all gathered around stopping folks from lifting what are usually heavy suitcases off the carousel..........

I’m on that soapbox with you..........:rotfl:

Pack light. I also find that the majority of rides don't have lockers. I know both Forbidden Journey and Gringotts use lockers and frankly I would rather just use them than lose my stuff. My tip with lockers is don't stop at the first ones.

Also the Roller Coasters have lockers which you have to use. It's a safety issue

So, I went to ride the Hulk today and was told my lanyard had to go in a locker! What? Since when? Admittedly, I don’t ride the Hulk very often, so it’s been close to a year since I last rode it last fall. But, I’ve never had an issue taking a lanyard on it in the past. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I was going to try going back later in the day when there was a new TM, to see if it was just that one being a pain or a new policy, but I never got the chance. Apparently, my Vera Bradley lanyard doesn’t count as a lanyard because it has a zipper, so that makes it a small purse??? This is not a wristlet or a coin bag or anything like that. I was using an actual flat lanyard with the clear cut out for the ID to go in, no different from the plastic ones, only made with material. It is just barely big enough to slide my ticket, license, and some cash into.

Anyone had this happen to them? Is this the next step, not even lanyards allowed anymore?
Maybe the metal zipper set the detector off and that is why you had to use the locker for it.
The detectors are very sensitive to all metal items.

No, I never made it to the metal detector. This was at the entrance I was stopped.

I'll take a guess at it and say it was maybe an over reaction from the tm.

but when they stop you from entering the line, you have no choice but to use the lockers then.

My son got nailed for something in his pocket so I took a pass on the ride and he was allowed on the ride.

I'll take a guess at it and say it was maybe an over reaction from the tm.

See, this is what I was thinking an overzealous TM which was why I was going to try again later in the day and see what happened, but we never made it back.

I use a runner's belt and water carrier and that combo works perfectly for me. I like this one on amazon- "ChicoBag Bottle Sling Bag with Pouch." I put my phone, credit card, ID, and a little cash in my runner's belt, just type in "runner's belt" on amazon and you'll get a bunch of great options. When going on rides like mummy or forbidden journey, we finish our water, throw the bottle away, and stuff the bottle slings into a pocket. The runner's belt I have is also water proof so that I don't have to worry about my phone on the wet rides.

Runners belts work fine.
I bought mine at Ross and use it many times during the trips.
It works great for my phone!

Preparing for the trip in a little less than 2 weeks. Was wondering if its possible to do the parks without using lockers at the rides and if so how would you do that exactly if no loose objects are allowed?
Not possible for us - not really possible for anyone with a phone. Rides like the Hulk have you go through a metal detector and I couldn't even have my plastic lanyard holder thing. The lockers are so easy it's a non-issue. I mean, they are kind of a pain but kind of fun too because it means you are about to ride something fun. Hard to explain.

Never had this happen, but we wear lanyards purchased at Universal. Perhaps that's the difference. I agree with you that the Vera Bradley one most definitely counts as a lanyard, but perhaps the TM didn't see it that way or maybe they're going by rule of thumb that only Universal purchased ones are permitted.

They'd almost have to allow a person to wear a lanyard on if they want to use Express Pass. I often wear pants that don't have pockets or a place to hold it without my lanyard. If this is a policy change, maybe its a way to entice people into buying Universal lanyards.

Maybe the metal zipper set the detector off and that is why you had to use the locker for it.
The detectors are very sensitive to all metal items.
So do lanyards need to be all plastic? I think many have a metal clasp/clip. Can anyone suggest a good lanyard to order on Amazon or where ever, that holds up well for theme park touring and is accepted on all the rides?

I habitually forget the locker number i put my crap in. It usually becomes a big issue, so I stopped using them. A cell phone case wallet and shorts with zipper pockets could be your best friend.

I practically “tattoo “ with ball point pen, locker numbers on my arm to remember which locker to go to after the ride

When left arm
Is full, start using the right arm

Washes off nicely with soap and water or spit

For the poster asking about metal lanyard clips I just dunno

I have a small piece of metal clasp on my uo wallet
The strap is nylon

Have not had an issue wearing it as one one of the two are either hard plastic or some metal on the hook

IF it is something I am
Now if is not valid on the sides I stick it in my bra or shoe

It must pass as being ok as have not got caught yet

Okay, so phone has to stay with me so that's out. I guess I'll just carry a backpack with us if we don't take the stroller. I was just hoping to avoid the craziness I've read about with the ride lockers.
I think they are generally easier to use than people make it sound.

I habitually forget the locker number i put my crap in. It usually becomes a big issue, so I stopped using them. A cell phone case wallet and shorts with zipper pockets could be your best friend.
Nope...not for the ones with metal detectors. Phones are a no go, assuming you ride those.

Maybe this explanation will help. There are 3 kinds of rides.
-rides with metal detectors where you can take nothing except a lanyard, can’t have anything in your pockets even (there are only 2 rides like this) free lockers available
-rides that don’t allow large bags- a lot of rides won’t let you have something as large as a backpack but you’re fine with things in your pocket/crossover bag/fannypack. Free lockers are available for these too
-rides where a larger bag can be brought- not as many but a few rides would allow a backpack

We generally have a few small things in pockets so we can’t completely avoid lockers for metal detector rides, but are fine for everything else. This is our sweet spot.
Is there a list, ANYWHERE, that shows what ride and which corresponding category it is? Ie: locker mandatory, purse ok, etc?

We are doing universal for the first time soon and to me this is unimaginable! We are used to Disney and at Disney, everyone has bags and backpacks, and there’s always somewhere to stow it with you.
Also, what about button up pockets on cargo shorts? Are wallets and cell phones allowed in them? Will we have to remove rings and watches as well?
Newbie here——-

Except for RRR & Hulk, which use metal detectors and do not allow any loose articles in pockets (rings are ok), on any other rides you can have your pockets stuffed. Closed pockets are not required. Rides that do not allow bags have free lockers available.

List as I recall of rides with free lockers:
-RRR (metal detectors)
-Hulk (metal detectors)
-Forbidden Journey
-Escape from Gringotts
-MiB
-Dr Doom Fearfall
-Mummy

I use a running belt to hold my cell phone. If women's shorts were better, then I'd use my pockets. That means I could do all rides without a locker except for Hulk and RRR. Those are too rough for me these days anyway. But - those locker areas aren't the ones I really, really try to avoid anyway. The HP area lockers can be crazy. And I like to do MIB multiple times, making using a locker not ideal.

If you are using child swap, then we have always been allowed to take a backpack with us through the lines as long as it wasn't a metal detector line. But for Hulk and RRR, we have other places nearby we like to wait with those not riding anyway. It was only an issue for how we did things at Dragon Challenge normally. (And that ride is no longer open).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter