Is it better to book room only and wait for discounts or book package?

DisneyWillow1975

Mouseketeer
Hello! I am a Universal newbie, but planning to change that in December 2019. I've been reading these boards, the Universal website, and checked out a few other resources for advice. My gut is telling me that I should reserve a room only reservation now, and then keep an eye out for any discounts such as an Annual Passholder room. But I'm paranoid that ticket prices will increase like Disney's do, so I'm not sure that's the best plan. We are planning on 2 nights at Royal Pacific, and I was going to buy tickets through UndercoverTourist (bundling with the Disney tickets we'll need for earlier in the week) and upgrade 1 or all to the cheapest Annual Passes if the math made sense once we're onsite (the blackout dates won't impact us). I didn't want to buy all of the tickets now, but am really second-guessing myself. The package prices directly through Universal look more expensive than booking room only and buying discounted tickets, but am I missing something? I am so familiar with Disney, and am really second-guessing myself with Universal planning.

Most people here would advise you to reserve a room by itself and get tickets separately. Just be careful when buying tickets because they do have expiration dates now. I think the ones I bought through UT in July expire next July. You would have to search for the historical date they raise ticket prices, you may be able to purchase before they go up.

I haven't seen any packages from Universal in my time watching that was worth waiting for it vs. room only.

I was wondering this too. I’m hoping for a Canadian offer for May 2019. I phoned reservations today and they said promos for May prob wouldn’t come out till January. So I’m watching and waiting.

Edited to say I just booked room only at Royal Pacific for late April, now to wait to see if there are any better discounts coming out. Currently I have a stay more pay less type of discount.

Last edited:

This is the same thing I'm debating on. I was going to buy AP's for the discount on RPR but it looks like the price has went up on those. Or have they? I could of sworn they were lower before .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter