Is Harry Potter worth going to if you are fat?

I'm fat and I like it. lol Yeah there will be no way, no matter how you carry your weight on Forbidden Journey if you're around the 350 mark because they almost couldn't get me clicked to the green light and I was 5'6" and 215lbs. My sister and Brother in law have never been able to ride it and she at her heaviest was 320 and 5'11". It's still worth going though. They both were able to do Gringotts because there is no shoulder harness.

I am pooh sized and worried about Gringotts. We haven't been sine the addition to Harry Potter. I got on the Forbidden Journey the last time we were there, but just barley and it was TIGHT. I am short, 5"3", carry most of my weight in my hips, and have larger calves. I was able to ride the mummy the last time we went in 2012. Have they changed the restraint system since then, and if I rode it, should I be ok on Gringotts at a similar size?

I'm 6' 2" and weight fluctuates between 220 and 250 over the past 5 or 6 trips.

My first ride eliminated is Rip, Ride Rocket. At about 230 it is difficult to breathe. Any higher and not sure the chest/stomach bar which swings in from the side will reach a click - if it did click, I wouldn't want to ride it.

At 250, Rip Saw Falls flume ride is extremely borderline. Getting in is fine, but getting out is extremely difficult. It would be easier if my knees bent the opposite way. At that weight, the Mummy gets uncomfortable, but still ride-able. Harness is fine, but the padded barrier in the middle of the seat is the problem (think grapes in a wine press). Cat in the Hat and Hulk are just a bit snug but fine.

Haven't had an issue on any other rides.

I am pooh sized and worried about Gringotts. We haven't been sine the addition to Harry Potter. I got on the Forbidden Journey the last time we were there, but just barley and it was TIGHT. I am short, 5"3", carry most of my weight in my hips, and have larger calves. I was able to ride the mummy the last time we went in 2012. Have they changed the restraint system since then, and if I rode it, should I be ok on Gringotts at a similar size?

I’m big and couldn’t do FJ. (Or RRR or Hulk.) But I’m able to do Mummy and Gringotts, though, with the trick being to ask to sit in the back row. They have a little more leg room in the back, which helps give more room all around!

Has anyone 6'0 340-350lbs been on the ride?

If you mean FJ...I tried to do it once. The TM got I one click easily. I'm fairly certain I heard a second just before she gave up and handed off to another TM who got one more. Unfortunately, the second TM insisted there was only two clicks, so I wasn't able to ride. I was a size or two smaller than I am now, so I will definitely not be trying again until I lose some weight. I was well below the figure you cited, so unless its someone who is 350 pounds of muscle, I highly doubt they'll make it on FJ. I was able to do Gringott's when I was the same size I tried FJ at, but it was tight. Not sure if I'd fit now or not.

I'm 6' 2" and weight fluctuates between 220 and 250 over the past 5 or 6 trips.

My first ride eliminated is Rip, Ride Rocket. At about 230 it is difficult to breathe. Any higher and not sure the chest/stomach bar which swings in from the side will reach a click - if it did click, I wouldn't want to ride it.

At 250, Rip Saw Falls flume ride is extremely borderline. Getting in is fine, but getting out is extremely difficult. It would be easier if my knees bent the opposite way. At that weight, the Mummy gets uncomfortable, but still ride-able. Harness is fine, but the padded barrier in the middle of the seat is the problem (think grapes in a wine press). Cat in the Hat and Hulk are just a bit snug but fine.

Haven't had an issue on any other rides.

I was able to get into Rip Saw Falls, but had a h*ll of a time getting out.

If you can ride Forbidden Journey, Gringotts and Mummy, can you probably also ride Hulk and Rip Roar Rocket?

If you can ride Forbidden Journey, Gringotts and Mummy, can you probably also ride Hulk and Rip Roar Rocket?
I didn't ride either last time I was there, but my 16yo daughter assured me that if you have a large chest, it's almost impossible to get the bar down on RRR. She's not tiny but had no problem on any other ride...it was her chest that made that one very difficult.

I didn't ride either last time I was there, but my 16yo daughter assured me that if you have a large chest, it's almost impossible to get the bar down on RRR. She's not tiny but had no problem on any other ride...it was her chest that made that one very difficult.

I tried the test vehicle on RRR. I couldn't get the bar even close to down. I would say it is worse than Gringott's or FJ.

Last edited:
Absolutely! We went for a day and just getting to explore shops was amazing. We did make it on to both rides and I'll give you our sizes to help you see if you compare.

We were close on both, but fit into both test seats. We sat on the end seats of Gringotts. I'm a size 20-22 and carry most of my weight in chest/middle/thighs. My husband is a size 46 waist and weighed about 315 when we went. He actually had less problems fitting due to thighs and chest. I had been extremely anxious heading to those test seats but it was great.

The lockers on the other hand...terrible set up!

Yea I'd say RRR is the least forgiving. Went a few years ago with a friend of mine who is a larger person. she was able to ride everything except RRR, it didn't even come close to closing for her. Some of them like Mummy and FJ a ride op had to push down but was able to get it

To the OP the beauty of Harry Potter and Hogwarts even if you do not do even one ride is still worth seeing. I still think you would be able to do some of the ride experiences.

I worried about this too in April. I'm 5'11, 290, carry my weight in my chest and belly. Gringotts was NO problem in rows 3 and 6 (those are for the fat people). FJ I couldn't get the light to turn amber in the test seat but was VERY close, the ride attendant told me to give it a try, they had to give me a firm push but once it clicked it didn't feel tight and was totally worth the ride. I did not try RRR or Ripsaw falls based on other's experiences.

My friend was able to ride FJ {in one of the seats on the end which are modified} and Gringotts [back row which is modified] when we went recently. She weighs about 280 and is 5'7 and wears a 3x top and 22 or 24 pants. She had no problems. :)

Thanks for this! I am 5'9 and am bouncing around 280ish/290 but I restarted WW knowing that Universal has less to do for me as a fat person

I am 5ft 6ins and around 290 pounds at present time.

Will I have a problem on any of the rides please.

I'm not sure...

There are some threads in this forum that discuss a person's size and dimensions with listings of which rides were more doable.
Some will state their size and talk about if they were able to ride or not.

Use the search button in the upper right hand side of each page.
It is grayed out with the word "search" in it.

You can put in key words and threads that have that word in it, will come up on your search.

I held up the Gringotts ride last October - twice.
I'm not a big person but average.
I could not maneuver my leg due to tkr and the bar across was my issue.
The TM had me move from the front row to the last row and still couldn't fit in correctly.
The had to unlock and then relock the cars twice

I held the entire ride up and no one said a thing about me wasting everyones time.

My friends as they are, stayed on the ride.......lol

As mac says you could have, no guarantees.

Everyone carries their weight differently, and weight can have no difference there. Folks of the same weight may have differing experiences on rides.

Forbidden Journey has seats with larger restraints at the end. Mummy and Gringotts have a back row that larger folks are usually sent to.

Dudley Do Right is just plain awkward...….even skinny minnies have trouble at times with that...…..

Hulk and RRR have seats with larger restraints too.

Try the test seats where available, TM will help you decide if needed, they are very perceptive usually and also very discreet. Don`t feel discouraged to try the test seats...….sometimes folks let their kids just sit on them, ask a TM for some help if kids are just there. They will move them off.

People like having their pictures taken on the test seats all the time, so please don't feel embarrassed to try them......most people wont even notice folks do this.

Best of luck, I hope you get to ride the rides you want to. And as mac says if you do a search, it`ll bring up similar threads too...….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter