Is Harry Potter worth going to if you are fat?

I'll be going for the first time next week. I understand I will probably not be able to ride Forbidden Journey, although I am gonna try. The rest of it should be fine, and IMO very exciting. Size should not be your first concern. A lot of the rides depend on how your body is proportioned. Use the test seats and have fun. If walking is an issue for you take frequent rest breaks or rent an ECV.

The Harry Potter sections are so well-themed and a ton of fun, regardless of size, if you're a Potter fan. Sure, there are restrictions on rides like Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, but just walking through the areas is cool. Seeing things like the Knight Bus, the wand show, riding the Hogwarts Express, touring Knockturn Alley. It's so incredibly well done. The ice cream shop is great and the breakfasts at the Leaky Cauldron are a good way to start the day.

YES!! No matter what your size, HP is worth experiencing. Size should not get in the way of vacation enjoyment.

IT really depends on how big and where you carry it. Your biggest trouble will likely be on Forbidden Journey. I went with a friend a couple years ago who is bigger (doesn't fit on many rides at regional amusement parks) and we were able to ride msot everything. First day we did it all, second day wasn't able to fit on Forbidden Journey (likely due to wearing a jacket that day and not the first.)
Regardless of these both areas loo amazing and have lots of shops and little shows to check out and are a lot of fun. And if you have the park-to-park ticket you can go on the Hogwarts Express. It's jsut a regular train with bench seates, no restraints, so anyone can ride it. Make sure to ride it both ways to as the experience is diferent in each direction.

WWoHP is worth it!! Even if you do not go on any of the rides.

You can take a castle tour, I have done it several times. It's nice to be able to take your time in all of the areas.

The themeing is amazing, I truly feel like I am in the wizarding world.

The HP themed areas are fabulous just to walk around in and take in all the details. If you are a big fan of the books or movies, definitely go!

If you're going to universal, it's worth going into Wizarding World.

Dh wouldn't go to Uni on his own. He goes with us. The big rides he wants to go on are still out of reach, but he enjoys being with us. He enjoys the theming all throughout the Uni parks.

For him gringotts (and mummy) are the hardest because of his leg and calf size. He'll lose enough belly eventually for forbidden journey and hulk, but the tricky small leg restraints are probably never going to work for him.

So it's all in where you carry weight.

When we were there, we saw plenty of pooh-sized people on these attractions and in the lines. I think Hippogriff might be a bit tighter, but still doable.

If you are a Harry Potter fan, it is a must see. As for size for riding, it really is more about how and where you carry the weight. There are test ride seats you can try. No matter what the areas themselves are so immersive and should not be missed. Spring for an interactive wand and do all the spells. Do the castle tour at Hogwarts if you find you cannot ride. Lunch at one of the Potter themed restaurants. Go to Olivanders and embrace the magic. Shop in the shops and let your inner geek shine. Go crazy with your camera, I know I do.

Has anyone 6'0 340-350lbs been on the ride?

Which ride?

It’s still more about how you carry your weight. DH has trouble because his weight is spread out. Broad back, tree trunk thighs that are all muscle so they don’t squish, and belly.

If he was all belly with skinny little legs he could get on gringotts (and mummy) because his legs would squeeze inside of the restraint. His aren’t like that, so the combo has made it impossible so far. Broad back plus belly plus non squishable legs makes the FJ restraint impossible (and Hulk).

Hippogriff is VERY forgiving so he rides the heck out of that. (And then it’s different in Hollywood, restraint-wise, and he can’t ride it there)

If you are mentally prepared to not fit, then it will be ok. We won't be going back to Universal because my son won't fit. We are doing all Disney from now on. However, I'm telling my brother and his family to try Universal. It is really a personal decision.

I would definitely agree with pp that it’s worth it to be in the areas even if you can’t go on the rides. I would suggest going either first thing in the morning or after dinner though if you want to spend time in the shops. They’re very small and crowded during mid day so even being an average sized person, it’s hard to get around in them sometimes.

my hubby could not ride forbidden journey because he was too tall, so it all depends on body style. but he rode everything else. Have fun!

I'm a bigger guy (me in the photo). I'm 5'4 and weigh around 265lbs (size 42 pants). I carry most of my weight in my belly. If you make sure you sit in one of the outer seats of the ride vehicle, you should be good. The shoulder restraint has to click at least three times at least. I found that if I suck it in, hold my breath briefly, and pull the restraint down fast as I sit, my belly doesn't have enough time to resist before the restraint clicks in.

Even if you don't ride FJ, the entire area is at least worth a wander around. I wasn't the biggest Harry Potter fan (never read the books, watched the movies because they were entertaining), but the themeing is amazing.

Other rides at Universal that may give some issues: Gringott's - the test seat was in the red for me, but I fit on the ride ok-ish. It was very tight, but safe.

Rip Ride Rock-it - any bigger than me in the belly area and it'll be really tough. I heard the restraint click ONCE. And that was because the ride attendant pushed on it hard. Wasn't a comfortable ride at all. The restraint basically made it impossible to breath normally. I was focused on breathing slow and deep the entire time just to get enough oxygen.

Hulk - They have larger seats in a few rows. Just let the ride attendant know you need the larger seats. They'll tell you which seat to get in. They are the ones with two seat belts to buckle in rather than just one.

But to go back to your original question: Harry Potter is definitely worth it. If for nothing else than one key word: Butterbeer. 'Nuf said. :)

I'm a bigger guy (me in the photo). I'm 5'4 and weigh around 265lbs (size 42 pants). I carry most of my weight in my belly. If you make sure you sit in one of the outer seats of the ride vehicle, you should be good. The shoulder restraint has to click at least three times at least. I found that if I suck it in, hold my breath briefly, and pull the restraint down fast as I sit, my belly doesn't have enough time to resist before the restraint clicks in.

Even if you don't ride FJ, the entire area is at least worth a wander around. I wasn't the biggest Harry Potter fan (never read the books, watched the movies because they were entertaining), but the themeing is amazing.

Other rides at Universal that may give some issues: Gringott's - the test seat was in the red for me, but I fit on the ride ok-ish. It was very tight, but safe.

Rip Ride Rock-it - any bigger than me in the belly area and it'll be really tough. I heard the restraint click ONCE. And that was because the ride attendant pushed on it hard. Wasn't a comfortable ride at all. The restraint basically made it impossible to breath normally. I was focused on breathing slow and deep the entire time just to get enough oxygen.

Hulk - They have larger seats in a few rows. Just let the ride attendant know you need the larger seats. They'll tell you which seat to get in. They are the ones with two seat belts to buckle in rather than just one.

But to go back to your original question: Harry Potter is definitely worth it. If for nothing else than one key word: Butterbeer. 'Nuf said. :)

Two words — Frozen Butterbeer!!

In general after our last trip I felt cheated because I couldn’t ride any of those rides except Gringotts (in the last row). Not being able to ride in three headliners is a big bummer. Especially a year ago when WDW didn’t have any rides that I couldn’t fit in. But now WDW is going down that same route with FOP. And looking back, we REALLY enjoyed the HP areas, including just walking through the castle. So much so that we did book another trip this year. So yes, it’s worth it if you know what to expect going in!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter