Is Disney Fun for Adults Because It's For Kids?

bryanb

DIS Veteran
The girl that I've been dating is currently in Europe for work. She texted me that she and her co-worker snuck off to Disneyland Paris for a day because they "wanted to do kiddie stuff." She then admitted it was kind of embarrassing taking off to a kid's place, but she knew I like "children's stuff" too and she wants to go to Disneyland together when she gets back.

I've never thought of Disney parks as being "kiddie stuff." Of course, Disney is famous for activities that are targeted at kids and families, and when you're there, everyone gets permission to let their inner child enjoy being a child again. But I just figured it was for everyone, and not specifically a kid's place.

But recently, more than one woman has referred to it as a kid's place when they hear that it's one of my interests. I know Disney has millions of adult fans... but I kind of think that people who like it because it's "for kids" are missing the whole picture. Or am I just in a Disney bubble?

The girl that I've been dating is currently in Europe for work. She texted me that she and her co-worker snuck off to Disneyland Paris for a day because they "wanted to do kiddie stuff." She then admitted it was kind of embarrassing taking off to a kid's place, but she knew I like "children's stuff" too and she wants to go to Disneyland together when she gets back.

I've never thought of Disney parks as being "kiddie stuff." Of course, Disney is famous for activities that are targeted at kids and families, and when you're there, everyone gets permission to let their inner child enjoy being a child again. But I just figured it was for everyone, and not specifically a kid's place.

But recently, more than one woman has referred to it as a kid's place when they hear that it's one of my interests. I know Disney has millions of adult fans... but I kind of think that people who like it because it's "for kids" are missing the whole picture. Or am I just in a Disney bubble?

From my perspective, people think like that because Disney is specifically marketed to families with kids. That is their target market, so they are going to advertise to their bread and butter. The travel agent(I no longer work in the field) training, without giving away too many secrets, includes sections on multiple age groups, including single adults and couples. It amounts to difference between perception of Disney(how it is advertised specifically) and the reality of it, if that makes any sense.

She then admitted it was kind of embarrassing taking off to a kid's place, but she knew I like "children's stuff" too and she wants to go to Disneyland together when she gets back.

That sounds a little condescending...

Anyway, I think it can be fun to sort of act like a kid, but I strongly believe that any age group can enjoy Disney, and it's not all just about being a kid.

I will admit that I do like some of the ‘kids stuff’ at Disney because I didn’t get to enjoy that as a child and so I’m making up for it now. There is so much amazing stuff around now that I wish was available when I was a child - so why miss out completely!

Also, as much as I love some very adult TV/movies (game of thrones etc) I do enjoy the innocence of Disney. When the world has so much going on that the news is all about horrible violence I think part of the escape from reality that I love about Disney is that it’s targeted at a family friendly audience.

Having said that, as a single adult with no kids I really do appreciate that they include adult targeted entertainment and attractions and hope they continue to do so in the future. I definitely skip anything in the Disney Junior Line!

Adults are only kids grownup, anyway.

Would it be less embarrassing to sneak away from work and do something "adult" like go day drinking, visit an adult store, watch an x rated movie or maybe something else adult like paying taxes, getting your car oil changed, voting, etc.?

Having never gone as a kid, my only reference point is as an adult with a kid. I get the most joy out of Disney seeing how my kids react. I don't know that i would ever go without kids (my own or grand kids) but i certainly would not be embarrassed to go alone or with other adults. I think i would just feel a tad guilty not bringing my kids or grand kids along... Regardless, I think Disney has done a real good job providing entertainment for any age.

It kind of depends on what you mean by "kiddie stuff." I mean, yeah, it is, as are a lot of things that I love, but I think the way I think of it is that it has a purity. I love animation because the way they tell stories is so simple, yet has endless levels of complexity. I once offended a guy by saying Star Wars is for 10 year olds. Even George Lucas says so. That doesn't mean I can't love it. If anything I meant that as a compliment to Star Wars. So, sure, it's all "kiddie" if by kiddie you mean the supreme artistic expression of the best humanity has to offer. Kids understand that more than most adults do. It's a good thing!

I've never seen a six year old drink around the world, so...:rotfl:

I don't see Disney as "kid stuff", but it's also b/c I'm not just a casual fan or park goer - neither are most of us here. I think to outside people who have never been just have an idea built up in their mind of what it must be like. Commercials filled with little kids smiling on dad's shoulders in front of fireworks, and cruising through the air on Dumbo with ears perched jauntily atop their heads help reinforce that.

But hey, if wearing mouse ears and hugging Pluto is kiddie, then sign me up because I am there, man. I will hug Pluto and I will hug Pluto several times. And afterward I'm heading to the Poly for a lapu lapu.

In my opinion, disney is whatever you want it to be, and that's the very best part. Yes, I can be a kid again, and it's awesome. WDW is the only place I truly forget everything that's going on in "real life". Even if it isn't the most relaxing vacation b/c I like to go, go, go once I'm there, it's still restorative in that I am fully immersed in the moment.

DH wasn't sold on our first family visit either, and now he wants to go back as often as I do (ok,maybe not AS often, but still often...I'd move right into the castle if they'd let me)

I don't think it's a kid place so much. Walt Disney World specifically allows me to escape reality for a bit. I can tune out work and most adult responsibilities and isolate myself from the problems of the outside world for a week. I don't have to drive, I don't have to worry about cooking meals or mowing the lawn. I don't have to worry that the woodchuck is eating my wife's plants. Generally get to have a good time, in place that is usually experiencing better weather than my home at the time.

When you go to Disneyland with her make sure to book Napa Rose and Carthay Circle, hang out at trader sam's ..Disney is a family friendly experience designed for all ages.

I am so looking forward to immersing my inner 8 year old in ten days of escapism. Ten days and no news feeds, no shaking my head at the state of the outside world. I will cry when I walk down Main Street both the first and last time of the trip.

I feel like we've been trained to look at certain types of fun as for kids, and it's really too bad. It's okay to just go to Walt Disney World and just have fun. It's easy to dismiss it as "kid's stuff", but that's far too simple. What makes Disney World so fun is that it's for everyone. You can go with kids, without kids, or solo and it's a different experience, but great either way.

The people who say Disney is just for kids DO NOT KNOW what they are missing! The Disney parks are for the young, and the young at heart. DH and I love both DL and WDW and it's just us, two big kids at heart. There are so many things to do at the parks at any age. We even ride the rides that some people refer to as "kiddie rides."

I always thought the concept of a place being "for kids" or "for adults" was a little self-limiting (in general ideas; I definitely wouldn't advocate taking a toddler or teenager to a bar hop or something.) But people of all ages can appreciate things, because Disney makes an effort to appeal to the physically young and the young at heart.

I know when I made my first trip, I didn't care a lick about theme-ing, decor, food, multiculturalism, etc. It was all about the rides. But now as an adult and on subsequent trips, I've found a new appreciation for the sheer amount of work Disney puts into what they do. Nothing feels slapped together or done half-arsed. When they make a new attraction, show, restaurant, etc., it's not just "something new to see/do", it's a work of art created by countless people who have put their hearts and souls into making something beautiful. That's a whole new level I feel you really only appreciate as you get a little older and wiser.

Of course, I still love a good thrill, so I still have that. :D

DH had never been as a kid, and he was adamant that he didn’t want to go to Disney until we had kids because “it’s for kids, and we would look like freaks walking around without kids.”
I booked a trip anyway, and he was AWED by it. I’ve never seen him so mesmerized and giddy.
That was almost 10 years ago. We have been back 7 times since then.
He still likes to tell people he only goes to appease me and the kids, but he loves it just as much as us:)

Totally the other way around. I know for a fact that the kids loved it more because I loved it. We bonded over it and they followed my lead. If we went on a ride that was a little scary for a 7 years old, they watched me. I wasn't scared, in fact, in many places I found things funny. So did they. They follow our lead. We never asked the question, is that to scary for the kids, partially because we didn't think of them as fragile little bits of crystal. Kid will love it on there own, but, as an adult we have our own reasons. If an adult takes their kids there and have a good time strictly because of that, when the kids grow up, they will no longer go to the place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!