• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is AKL a resort that you could spend a lot of time at if not going to parks?

ForEver2016

Mouseketeer
We are thinking about booking a stay at AKL and bringing my elderly parents along. They would do a few hours of parks per day with us, but they would probably spend most of their time relaxing at the resort (and then babysitting at night!)

My question is - would there be enough there to entertain them? I think they would spend some time at the pool but perhaps would enjoy things like gardens to roam around and quiet but lush places to sit and read. Is there anything like that at AKL? Also, are there any safaris available to resort guests that don’t take place at night? Any places to observe animals without having a Savannah view room or without eating at Sanaa?

Thanks for any advice y’all have!!

There are many viewing areas available that don't require you to have a savannah view room. There are nice outdoor viewing areas, and also benches in the hallways with windows overlooking the animal areas. There are often cast members around in the outdoor areas who are happy to talk about the animals or answer questions.

So the animal viewing, the pool area, the hot tub, and sitting in a nice spot reading are all possible. If they're interested, they can explore the resort to view various African artifacts and historical information as well.

If they want relaxing and low-key, I think they'll be fine there, especially if they enjoy watching animals. It's a very beautiful and relaxing resort. I love staying at AKL.

Here's an example of an outdoor viewing area accessible to anyone:
And some photos of places to relax: http://www.apinchofpixiedust.com/2015/04/5-places-to-relax-at-disneys-animal.html

I think so. We had a day off from the parks and spent five hours here visiting and we we’re staying at a different Disney Resort! We had breakfast at Boma, toured the resort and ended up speaking with several CMs from Africa. Fascinating conversations about the animals and continent! Plenty of places to sit and enjoy animals! We didn’t even have a room there at that time!

Yes. My family spent a few days at AKL after a cruise. We did not go to the parks and we did not have a Savannah view room. There were plenty of places to watch the animals and relax quietly. The CMs were interesting to talk to. There was a free restaurant tour of Jiko and Boma that took place around 4pm that they might be interested in. They took us through the restaurants and talked about what the decor represented, talked about the food, and gave us some free samples. I think we got a sample of soup and a Zebra Dome at Boma and Naan bread with different accompaniments at Jiko.

There is a safari at AKL that is available to anyone that takes place in the afternoon and includes dinner at Jiko. It sounds amazing but is very expensive. It's called the Wanyama Safari and Dinner.

We enjoy some of the public animal viewing and lounge areas at Kidani. It’s a short walk away.

The pool at Kidani is very nice and relaxing. There is a shuttle that runs continually, between Jambo and Kidani.

One of the reasons I booked AKL for June is one of my daughters maternal great aunts comes along and we know that she will be to tired and worn out after a few days to do more than go out for dinner with us. She is an avid reader on her tablet and a people watcher. I have already identified a dozen areas she can sit, read, animal watch and just gossip with other guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter