Inspired by JamieandBen... "you know you're from NYC when..."

RickinNYC

DIS Veteran
* You think Central Park is "nature."

* You're paying $1,200 for a studio the size of a walk-in closet and you think it's a "steal."

* You've been to New Jersey twice and got hopelessly lost both times.

* You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.S. pay in rent.

* You go to dinner at 9 and head out to the clubs when most Americans are heading to bed.

* You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

* Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

* America west of the Hudson is still theoretical to you.

* You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.

* You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

* Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

* $50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag.

* Your doorman is Russian, your grocer is Korean, your deli man is Israeli, your building super is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favorite bartender is Irish, your favorite diner owner is Greek, the watch seller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsstand guy is Indian and your favorite falafel guy is Egyptian.

* You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that it means Manhattan.

* You secretly envy cabbies for their driving skills.

* You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

* You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

* Hookers and the homeless are invisible.

* The subway makes sense.

* The subway should never be called anything prissy, like the Metro.

* You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.

* You think $7.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

* You've considered stabbing someone just for saying "The Big Apple."

* Your door has more than three locks.

* You go to a hockey game for the fighting. In the stands. To participate.

* Your favorite movie has DeNiro in it.

* The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

* You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

* You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard. You complain about having to mow it.

* You are a skee-ball juggernaut.

* You consider Westchester "Upstate."

* You cried the day Mayor Ed Koch took over for Judge Wapner.

* You run when you see a flashing "Do Not Walk" sign at the intersection

Loved the "city"
went into a bar one night payed for one beer
and did not pay for another the rest of the night.
They liked the way i talked.
and if you ever hear me talk you know i'am from the south.

jamieandben said:
Loved the "city"
went into a bar one night payed for one beer
and did not pay for another the rest of the night.
They liked the way i talked.
and if you ever hear me talk you know i'am from the south.

Yeah, I remember those days. To be young and pretty again... (deep grief filled sigh...)

You've been to New Jersey twice and got hopelessly lost both times.
I've lived here almost 11 years! I still get lost! The road signs here are the worst! And hey - I guess I'm from upstate! I grew up in Westchester!

jamieandben - Now I wanna here you talk :)

Very funny stuff! About a good third of it would apply to Chicago too. My DH and I were in NY in Sept. and had a great time. We always use public transportation in bigger cities and think it is a shame some tourists shy away from that. New Yorkers are marvelous and I found them quite friendly and tolerant of midwesterners. It helps that Chicagoans move fast too, I think it is probably a shock for southerners moving along at downhome time. for anyone looking for a Disney break, I highly recommend New York. Of course, Chicago still has better museums.

Stop, stop, you're making me homesick!! Born and raised in Rockland but haunted the city whenever (and that was often) possible. Now I live in the semi-south - still can't get used to the relaxed (Can you say turtle? :rotfl: ) pace here after seven years. When I first moved down here, I'd be driving somewhere, and people would wave - I kept stopping to see if something was wrong with the car. :confused3: Deli's and bakeries are just NOT the same - if you can find them.

But...the people are lovely, friendly and genuine, and the weather is nicer. But I still miss Manhattan!

(Now, can you make up a funny line for the time my entire exhaust system fell off on the West Side Highway during morning rush hour?)

(Now, can you make up a funny line for the time my entire exhaust system fell off on the West Side Highway during morning rush hour?)

And you survived???? I broke down on the West Side Highway once - wasn
t pretty. Where in Rockland did you grow up?

Tony-NJ said:
And you survived???? I broke down on the West Side Highway once - wasn
t pretty. Where in Rockland did you grow up?

I think I brokedown on the West Side Highway once too. But of the emotional variety, with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Tony-NJ - Born and raised in Stony Point - and I had family in Northvale, and I remember spending a lot of time in Saddle River around a store or cafe that was a red barn;

Yes, somehow I survived - both Stony Point and the breakdown! I don't think I've ever been quite the same, however~

RickinNYC - a mechanical breakdown on the WSH will lead to the breakdown to which you referred :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter