Indecision BLT vs GFV

We also own both. VGF is a nicer resort with nicer rooms. BLT is closer to MK and has the extra bathroom in the 1- and 2-bedroom villas. VGF has more food options, but BLT has some pretty great restaurants too. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. We bought VGF in early 2016 with absolutely no intention whatsoever of adding on. We have since almost doubled our VGF points and purchased BLT since then. Once you see how great it is to stay so close in nice rooms for such a discount, it is inevitable. I would recommend staying off the message boards, as we are all a bunch of enablers when it comes to addonitis!

We bought VGF in early 2016 with absolutely no intention whatsoever of adding on. We have since almost doubled our VGF points and purchased BLT since then. Once you see how great it is to stay so close in nice rooms for such a discount, it is inevitable. I would recommend staying off the message boards, as we are all a bunch of enablers when it comes to addonitis!
Yep, that's what my doctor said, "You've got a bad case of addonitis!"

We bought BLT 11-9 months ago, and then VGF in December. Seriously bad addonitis. Happy with both, btw, so I really don't think you can go wrong.

We own at both, more at BLT because we have more reasons to stay there, but if we could not stay at VGF every few years in December, we would both be disappointed. I really prefer to book what I want 11 months out and forget about it!

No kidding, they can change after your first visit! We bought expecting to bank and borrow for a trip every 3 years; we now average 3 trips per year!

Oh no! Haha, good point. We just received our first contract (yay!) in the mail last night. While reviewing it with my husband, he turned to me and asked, "So, we can add more points if we want to, right?" And he was the one who was initially hesitant to make the purchase.

Oh no! Haha, good point. We just received our first contract (yay!) in the mail last night. While reviewing it with my husband, he turned to me and asked, "So, we can add more points if we want to, right?" And he was the one who was initially hesitant to make the purchase.
That was my husband too. When we bought BLT, he ONLY wanted enough points for studios. I told him I'd get enough of a cushion so we could be in 1BR once in a while... and now he's said he doesn't want to stay in studios any more. So... add on we did. And now, his dad passed away and he wants to be able to invite his mom along (and she has never been to WDW), so NOW we might need even more points... we're going to see how the current points and trips go and see what resale prices do. Also - I'm not expecting it to be, but if Riviera truly IS awesome, we may look at an add on there as well. But points costs will probably be so high we'll have to buy 100 points or more.

Back to OP's issue: I think the indecision comes from - VGF studios are nicer than BLT studios, but BLT 1BR are among the nicest and cheapest in the MK area and maybe all of WDW.

We have a family of 5 and own at VGF. I love that I can fit my family in any room available at that resort (studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, GV) so if I'm short on points one year, we can opt for a studio. The first trip we did a split stay - 3 days in a 1 bed followed by 4 days in a studio. After seeing the space in a 1 bedroom, with a king size bed with a locking door for privacy, my husband told me to "buy more points". We now stay in a 2 bed and often invite grandparents to stay with us. Although we don't own at BLT, I LOVE VGF! I can happily hang out at the pool, or hand in the lobby of the hotel listening to music. I love the that the feature pool is just steps from the Villas and right next to the beach. Since this pool is doing a refurb, we tried the other pool and found that we love that pool too! Great pool bars at both as well! We also love the quick service at Grand Floridian as well as the wonderful restaurants and it's a quick walk to Poly for Dole Whips and Trader Sams as well as their great restaurants too! We added on points at BCV to have an Epcot resort but we only fit into a 2 bedroom at that resort which limits options. Although I like the BCV pool, I like the Grand Floridian restaurants and lobby more and the views are much better too! And I've only stayed standard view at VGF. I'm considering selling my BCV points to add more at VGF.... :) I love the food options at BLT but don't love the theme there (or lack of one) so we opted against buying there (but we have usually seen availability at 7 months there for the times of the year we travel). Resale value was important to me too - I wanted smaller resorts because I thought they might hold their value a bit better if demand was greater. (However demand will be good for either of the options you choose so you can't go wrong with either). Good luck with your decision!

We have a family of 5 and own at VGF. I love that I can fit my family in any room available at that resort (studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, GV) so if I'm short on points one year, we can opt for a studio. The first trip we did a split stay - 3 days in a 1 bed followed by 4 days in a studio. After seeing the space in a 1 bedroom, with a king size bed with a locking door for privacy, my husband told me to "buy more points". We now stay in a 2 bed and often invite grandparents to stay with us. Although we don't own at BLT, I LOVE VGF! I can happily hang out at the pool, or hand in the lobby of the hotel listening to music. I love the that the feature pool is just steps from the Villas and right next to the beach. Since this pool is doing a refurb, we tried the other pool and found that we love that pool too! Great pool bars at both as well! We also love the quick service at Grand Floridian as well as the wonderful restaurants and it's a quick walk to Poly for Dole Whips and Trader Sams as well as their great restaurants too! We added on points at BCV to have an Epcot resort but we only fit into a 2 bedroom at that resort which limits options. Although I like the BCV pool, I like the Grand Floridian restaurants and lobby more and the views are much better too! And I've only stayed standard view at VGF. I'm considering selling my BCV points to add more at VGF.... :) I love the food options at BLT but don't love the theme there (or lack of one) so we opted against buying there (but we have usually seen availability at 7 months there for the times of the year we travel). Resale value was important to me too - I wanted smaller resorts because I thought they might hold their value a bit better if demand was greater. (However demand will be good for either of the options you choose so you can't go wrong with either). Good luck with your decision!

Thank you! This was helpful! We are going to stay in a theme park view BLT studio one night and see if it feels as “special” as the GF does when we stay there because we figure by the time we have 3 kids, we would want a one bedroom anyway probably and BLT has nice one bedrooms. But I love the flexibility of the GF sleeping 5 and their pool :)

I agree with all of this and would add:

I think the VGF pool and kids play area is a little nicer, better than "just okay."
Food options are much better at VGF.
Direct transportation anywhere on Disney property is a huge plus for BLT (walk to the bus area at MK and catch a direct bus anywhere; this is great for going to the Boardwalk and also AKL for Boma and Sanaa)

The VGF pool is great with kids. The slide is one of the better ones on property, and it's easy to keep an eye on the kiddos from practically anywhere. My daughter has a love/hate relationship with the giant green hat. hahaha

In my experience, if you want a studio at VGF, you should buy there. We've been members for about 6 years, and every time I've tried to book a studio there, they are always booked up.

It's usually easier to get BLT studios inside of 7 months than it is to get a VGF studio inside of 7 months.

Good luck with your decision!

I am also in the VGF camp. I can usually get a room at BLT and rarely get a room at VGF at 7 mos. We did end up getting points At VGF because it is amazing! The studios at BLT seem very small to me and while I love modern, the finishes there just don't seem to compare to VGF. Buy for where you want to stay and plan on looking at what you will need for the next 10 yrs or so. That seems to be a good rule of thumb.
We are a family of 5 and usually like to get a studio. I know that seems odd to most but we go often and I don't cook there :) Our oldest is now in college so we are a party of mostly four now and tend to avoid BLT because it seems cramped. Good luck and I agree that maybe wait out these high prices for a bit and really follow the market. That way you are ready to strike when the correct contract comes along.

We bought BLT for two reasons: walking distance to MK and extra bathroom in the 1BR. Now that the kids are older, we usually book a 2BR which has 3 bathrooms! Perfect for 3 women and poor DH (the only man in the house).

Edited to add: No problem booking VGF 7 months out in June (2BR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!