Increased seismic activity on the Big Island

OlafLover, No the PoA normally only stops in Kahului, Maui where it docks pierside for 2 days. Lahaina is where the other cruise lines stop but it is a tender port because the harbor can not accomodate cruise ships. The PoA stop at Lahaina was because of the ongoing volcanic activity on the Big Island. It replaced the stop in Hilo last week and both stops on the Big Island this week. The PoA docks at all its stops except Kona which again can not accomodate cruise ships.
Many people are disappointed at the docking sites because they are used to cruise ship stops in places like the Cribbean where there are always several ships and lots of vendors etc near the pier. The docks in Hawaii are all commercial ones with warehoses etc. Remember nearly verything has to be shipped into Hawaii so commercial piers are a priority.

kdonnel, Yikes! That lava is not really cooled. Going from 2000 degrees to local air temperature takes a very long time!
I know someone who was hiking on ‘safe’ recently cooled lava with her family. She looked down to discover that the thick soles of her sneakers were melting! (How are your sneakers?)
My shoes melted a bit. My wife was so into taking pictures that she would lose track of where it had flowed around her and her tripod. I had to act as her spotter to keep her from walking on lava that looked safe but was not.

My 12 year old daughter was the only one who understood we should not have been where we were.

My 12 year old daughter was the only one who understood we should not have been where we were.
:cool2: Smart girl!:goodvibes
At least you didn't end up:crutches:. Or having to :duck:the flying rocks! That's why it is better to 'watch the lava' from a distance or online!
I enjoyed seeing lava at Halema 'uma 'u in Kilauea as well as flowing into the sea from the deck of the ship. But as tempting as it may be to get closer I am more cautious than you and your wife.:scared:
Besides being on the east coast keeps me away from temptation! So I can " :worship: " Pele from afar!

Yes the cruise ships do not dock in Kona. They all anchor and tender their passengers ashore.

Just got notice from the Hawaii Civil Defense that the explosive eruption at the summit has occurred. No additional info yet.

Just got notice from the Hawaii Civil Defense that the explosive eruption at the summit has occurred. No additional info yet.
I heard about the notice too along with advisory to stay indoors.
Stay safe everyone.

I also heard on another board that the Sea Princess was headed to Kona today. Maybe they will be diverted after this?

They said it's not the explosive event we've been waiting for. Just a big one, but not the steam driven one. This one shot ash 30,000 feet into the air.

Here is the latest status report from the USGS HVO Thursday, May 17 6:33 AM HST:

HVO/USGS Volcanic Activity Notice

Volcano: Kilauea (VNUM #332010)

Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING

Current Aviation Color Code: RED

Issued: Thursday, May 17, 2018, 6:33 AM HST
Source: Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
Notice Number:
Elevation: 4091 ft (1247 m)
Area: Hawaii

Volcanic Activity Summary: At about 0415 this morning, an explosion from the Overlook vent within Halemaumau crater at Kilauea Volcano's summit produced a volcanic cloud that reaches as high as 30,000 ft asl and drifted northeast. Continued emissions from the crater are reaching as high as 12,000 ft asl.

At any time, activity may again become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent.

Resource on volcanic ash hazards: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanic_ash/

Resource on vog: https://vog.ivhhn.org/

Current NWS information on ashfall: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/watchwarn/

Recent Observations:
[Volcanic cloud height] up to 30,000 ft asl
[Other volcanic cloud information] Drifting generally northeast

Hazard Analysis:
[Ash cloud] The ashcloud is drifting downwind to the northeast.
[Ashfall] Ashfall has been reported in Volcanoes National Park, and may occur further downwind.
[Other hazards] Ballistic projectiles may be produced should steam-driven explosions occur. Impacts will be limited to an area around Halemaumau.
[Volcanic gas] Vog or volcanic air pollution produced by volcanic gas has been reported in Pahala.

Remarks: Photos of this activity may be found here:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/kilauea_multimedia_15.html

Contacts: askHVO@usgs.gov

Next Notice: Additional notices will be issued should activity change significantly.
Consult the National Weather Service for specific Ashfall notifications:http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is one of five volcano observatories within the U.S. Geological Survey and is responsible for monitoring volcanoes and earthquakes in Hawai`i.

They said it's not the explosive event we've been waiting for. Just a big one, but not the steam driven one. This one shot ash 30,000 feet into the air.
Thanks buffettgirl. :)
It may not be “the BIG ONE” but shooting ash 30,000 feet into the air is significant to me.
It is tough to get up to date news here on the East coast. We get 1 minute snippets that sometimes have video footage or pictures from days ago. I try to look at the USGS HVO alerts on their site or in my email for the facts. And their YouTube videos are great. (At least for science geeks like me.:))
Stay safe.

Thanks buffettgirl. :)
It may not be “the BIG ONE” but shooting ash 30,000 feet into the air is significant to me.
It is tough to get up to date news here on the East coast. We get 1 minute snippets that sometimes have video footage or pictures from days ago. I try to look at the USGS HVO alerts on their site or in my email for the facts. And their YouTube videos are great. (At least for science geeks like me.:))
Stay safe.
Oh I agree. I was being slightly sarcastic, like If that wasn't "the big one" what the hell is going to happen when it really hits big.
It's hot and humid today here on Oahu, and I can't tell if we're getting a bit of vog or not. I"m generally not bothered by it, but I'm completely congested today. Maybe a cold. Waiting to see if the trades pick up later today to feel better.

Oh I agree. I was being slightly sarcastic, like If that wasn't "the big one" what the hell is going to happen when it really hits big.
It's hot and humid today here on Oahu, and I can't tell if we're getting a bit of vog or not. I"m generally not bothered by it, but I'm completely congested today. Maybe a cold. Waiting to see if the trades pick up later today to feel better.
I get it. Now I am thinking “What is next?”. Stay safe. I hope that the trades pick up and keep the vog away

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter